Pony tanks Good or Bad? - POLL

Are pony tanks Good or Bad ?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEWreckDiver:
I haven't agree with Uncle Pug on this issue at all. But I do agree on his statement here completely. It is up to each of us to listen to the options (we all have them) and take way the ones that make the most sense to us and throw the rest away.

Beyond broadcasting this warning for liability concerns, I think u guys are short-selling the newbies... Given the differing viewpoints, I think the learning curve is pretty steep. Despite some strong opinions, there is a healthy amount of discussion - eg. this thread. IMHO, much better than the single point of view that you initially get from a LDS or a local dive club.

Hantzu.

MikeFerrara:
Even without penetration at 115 I do prefer some redundancy although it can be done without even if a low pressure hose does burst. I'd probably dive my doubles. For a wreck dive to 115 I'd for certain want a bottle of 50% or O2. I don't at all care for 100+ planned as a no stop dive. It's one thing to dip to that depth on a reef where most of the time will be spent working your way up but for a wreck at 115 I'm just going to plan some deco and have the gas to do it.

I would be carying more but I'd have the option of more time on the bottom and more time on the ascent with a better gas to breath on the way up.

I use to do dives like that with a single tank but I never really enjoyed it because the dive was short and I wasn't comfortable with the the short no stop time or the gas situation. About the time I started thinking I needed a pony, I started planning deco, wearing doubles and slinging deco gas. I'd have a ball on that wreck now.

Also I'd likely use a dry suit even there but with a wet suit I'd double up a set of al80's. They'd be great for those shallow wrecks and wet suit diving. Even if done as a "no stop" dive with a single gas, for about the cost of a
pony and reg you could have a mnifold and a set of bands. I'd make a deco bottle out of the pony. That gives me both more gas and better gas fo the ascent.

Mike,

After reviewing your posts, I'm thinking of a strategy/gear config change on my 100 - 130' no penetration wreck dives. Your opinion here makes a lot of sense to me, especially after my experience last week at 130 on a single with a moron for a dive buddy. I usually planned these dives as no-deco, but that will change as well. As for the dry dive, there is no substitute, even in 70+ temps. All my penetration dives find me wearing doubles anyway.

This is a great forum, and everyone has been supplying great personal contribution to the safety of our recreation.

Mempilot,

That's a good story to share. Just reinforces the idea of having a backup in case something like that goes wrong. No one wants something like this to happen, but Murphy always has a way of showing up and it helps if you do have some form of backup to get out of a nasty situation. Thanks for reinforcing the idea of diving with a pony.

I have one and have stopped diving with it. I will now dive with it again...for insurance.

Hory

As some of you know, I routinely dive solo and frequently to depths in excess of 100 ft due to my work. I am always cognizant of my air supply and have never had an OOA incident with one exception. Some time back I reported a situation where I decided to dive to 70 ft without my usual pony bottle and apparently debris clogged the tank valve debris tube. Since my secondary, octopus and Air-2 were all useless without air coming out of the tank, I had an emergency ascent.

Had I not been lazy and used my pony bottle as I normally do, it would have been no problem. Now I keep the pony strapped to my main tank even on shallow dives.

YES, I think a pony is a wise piece of equipment at least given my diving practices. An H- or Y-valve would have been useless and I have no desiree to dive doubles as they would hinder my videography.

Dr. Bill

Dive with a 30lb pony attached to my alum 80. I believe it is a decent back up for your standard, within the tables diving. It should never be used for planning a dive; it’s for emergency accents only. Can’t see any logical argument against one, seems to be a logical extension of have a back up reg.

You say you mount it on your tank? I have to wonder if something that big would putyou off balance. The largest I have seen on a tank is a 19

rescuediver009:
You say you mount it on your tank? I have to wonder if something that big would putyou off balance. The largest I have seen on a tank is a 19

In my neck of the woods (or water) the most popular is the 30 cuft.
I have used it mounted on my tank and only find it off balance on deck. I have since moved on to doubles and the 30 now is slung underneath the right arm w/ deco mix instead of bailout.

IC that makes more sense. Nice volume. Neutral.

TCooperWFI:
Stupid people do stupid things and bad things happen to people who don't plan properly and as long as they make incorrect assumptions or don't take the time to learn all the facts....
That would imply that people who error in judgement deserve to die. I am a strong Darwinist but that is still a harsh statement considering the family left behind. But hey, what do I know. Only been divin a couple years and still have less than 200 dives. Lots to learn. I dive w/ a pony cause I take photos. Photographers are notoriously bad buddies. I dive solo often. Once did blow an o-ring and at 80fsw realized my air was going fast. Breathed the main dry completing my stops and ascent. Never used the pony but felt much better knowing it was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom