Pony tanks Good or Bad? - POLL

Are pony tanks Good or Bad ?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love threads like this! All the guys who simply swallow the GUE line come out of the woodwork.... And those who really dive instead of surfing the net get ridiculed... Typical.

MikeFerrara:
IMO, the real danger to inexperienced divers is the endorsement of these Christmas tree like configurations and the idea that they're increasing safety by hanging more ornaments on it.

True that! (as a new diver myself) If I took the advice of everyone who's told me about what's "essential", people would set their ule-tide gifts below me before a dive.

As far as the Pony tanks go... I'm a believer in a good buddy system (my years in boy scouts rubbed off on that), for all intensive purposes, my buddy is my pony tank. :yl2jump: That being said, I don't think it's a bad idea, especially in situations like wreck, cave and (especially) ice diving, where you're either in confined spaces or diving solo.

It's a good idea, if you don't plan on ever using it (if it is a true back-up for emergencies only). As for those who use it as added air after their primary tank runs out or to get extra bottom time... did I read that right?? That just seems slightly reckless. Then again, what do I know? I'm a :newbie:

When your talking caves a 19cf or even 30cf pony bottle isn't going to get you very far. Even a full 80 might not be enough.

I'm not going to re-read all 13+ pages of messages on this endless thread, but I'd be suprised if anyone would recommend a pony for cave diving. That's just stupid. But let's be honest. A pony is something that really isn't *needed* for strict recreational diving. And for true technical diving, it simply isn't enough. Yet, for those who use it for "advanced recreational" type dives, where limits are being lightly pushed, it's a good tool to have (especially when doubles is overkill).

As far as the DIR theory of only taking what is strictly needed, I have personally seen that thrown out the window by more GUE certified (either DIR-F or Cave 1) divers than anyone else, particularly when they carry 200+ cu. ft. of gas with them on a rec dive when a single 80 would clearly do. But my experience is limited to the upper Midwest.

Late post but... yes having a 30lb pony attached to the right side of my tank did throw my trim off. I used to put one 12lb in each pocket of my integrated BC. Now I put one in the left pocket opposite my pony and use two 6lb tank weights. This keeps my trim nice and level. BC still has plenty of lift.

My wife baught me a 30 pony bottle and I find it is great she baught it because I do some solo diving and the pony becomes a partner in case you have problems withe your main air supply and gives you the time req to return to the surface safely also I have read that buddy breathing should not be done unless you have practice with your buddy first (scuba diving july 2000) I take that one with a grain of salt but when you are on a trip your dive buddy is not always the same, so the ponny bottle is very good. I found that it is easier to have it hook in front of you with quick release in front of you so if your buddy req the help you can give him the air and you can hook the tank to his BC so you can both do an ascent to the surface in a control way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom