Pony tanks Good or Bad? - POLL

Are pony tanks Good or Bad ?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Source

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Recently in this thread titled Which pony is best? a fairly spirited discussion has been taking place about pony bottles, spare airs etc.

While there seems to be several strong opinions both for and against I want to know the general consenses/opinion to a simple question without lecture or intimidation from either side.

Do you think pony bottles are a good idea - Yes or No?

Lets see what the silent majority has to say and since you can only vote once, the thread should be safe from hi-jack.

if you want to continue the debate - the other thread is still hot so go for it.

Or two.

Pony is good most of the time.
Pony is good a small part of the time.

Shortly after I got my initial certification, I was diving off the jersey shore at a wreck site. I got preoccupied in collecting mussels and when I took a look at my guage, I only had 500 PSI remaining. Bad Me! I ran out on the main before reaching 50 feet and used the pony the rest of the way, including a safety stop. I controlled my ascent and all as I had been trained but definitely learned a valuable lesson. I'm glad to say that I've not needed a pony since, but won't dive without one in the ocean.

need another choice Or two.

Spectre:
Can't answer. This is too obscure a question, as it truely depends on why you are diving with a pony, and how you plan on using it.

Assume that you have it safely rigged it a fashion that is acceptable to your high standards and suitable to the type of diving you are doing.

If you feel there is no safe way to rig it or use it then you would obviously answer no. I threw this poll out as some believe that is the case and I was interested in a broader and simpler opinion.

A pony bottle is an inanimate tool. The tool itself can not be good or bad, although the purpose to which it is used could be expressed in those terms. For example, a hammer is not “good” are “bad.” Using a hammer to pound in nails to build something useful is generally considered “good.” Using a hammer to whack your spouse in the head while they’re sleeping is generally considered “bad.”

Suggestions for better questions would be:

Is using a pony as a bail out bottle a good or bad practice?

or

Is using a pony bottle to extend your bottom time a good or bad practice?

Mike

Well I think there is a great deal of value in the way this poll is designed as it forces individuals to take one extreme or the other with none of normal qualifications stemming from the internal external debate on the issues. To answer the poll you have to average out all your personal pros and cons, likes and dislikes and just say yes or no. Sometimes a forced choice is the only way to get a clear from the gut answer in a complex issue like this.

He is just asking for a gut reaction, not for a debate, for opinions, or for justification or qualification of your the answer one way or the other (that has been covered to excess in other recent threads). All he is asking for is "Yes" or "No". And the best part is that no one has play if they don't like the rules or the question.

MikeS:
Using a hammer to whack your spouse in the head while they’re sleeping is generally considered “bad.”
OH sure take her side :angel:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom