Pony tank makes me roll to the side -- how to fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likewise, I simply added a 2# weight to my belt on the opposite side and all has been fine ever since.

I just removed 2 lbs from my Zeagle Tech from the side I am mounting the pony bottle.

Are you going to be 2lbs positive with an empty pony?

Are you going to be 2lbs positive with an empty pony?

Evad, given the function of my pony is for emergency purposes only. If I am using my pony, I have already called the dive and heading for the surface.

To your point, would the tank by 2 lbs positive when empty, yeah to a point. It has been awhile since checking the specs for my setup. If I am not mistaken, my pony is 2 1/2 to 3 pounds negative when full. Maybe 1/2 pound negative when empty, I think. It has been a few years on checking that spec. Should I compensate for the weight change, I don't think so given the dive would be called. If I had the extra weight on the opposite side, would I not cause a weight shift causing me to roll?

According to the tank info from huron scuba, an S19 is neutral when empty, so moving 2 lb from front to a back trim pocket on the opposite side from the pony is reasonable.

From a purely trim standpoint, I prefer to move 1 lb from each of the left and right front to that left rear. I switch from, for instance, a pair of 4 lb to a pair of 3lb plus the trim 2.

Yes, you'll be slightly off trim as the pony gets used up, but as others have noted that's a dive-ending situation, most times you'll be headed mainly up. Being close to perfect the great majority of the time (when the pony isn't used), and knowing that I'll be slightly off trim (which I've done in the past by accident, not putting the trim weight in -- I notice it, but it's not a biggie), seems a reasonable compromise.

Evad, given the function of my pony is for emergency purposes only. If I am using my pony, I have already called the dive and heading for the surface.

To your point, would the tank by 2 lbs positive when empty, yeah to a point. It has been awhile since checking the specs for my setup. If I am not mistaken, my pony is 2 1/2 to 3 pounds negative when full. Maybe 1/2 pound negative when empty, I think. It has been a few years on checking that spec. Should I compensate for the weight change, I don't think so given the dive would be called. If I had the extra weight on the opposite side, would I not cause a weight shift causing me to roll?

When "netting out" a pony, don't forget that the 1st Stage regulator sitting on it is going to add some ballast too. Around 2lbs less and with a 2lb shift to the opposite side is about right for an AL13.

-hh

You may also want to rotate the pony as far inwards toward the BC as possible. The father away it is from your Cg the more leverage it will have to move you off-tilt. If you have a Zeagle BC, I think you have straps that you can tighten on the wing on the other side of the pony, so the pony side will take more air and balance out the bottle. (Note: I am not condoning banded wings). FWIW, I know you don't want to sling the bottle, but this problem could be avoided altogether if you did.

make sure it is tight to the body. If it is a little high, you tend to roll to one side...I did this for a while and that is what solved it for me. Using my Zeagle ranger and poney tamers. I also switch 2 lbs to the left side to compensate.

You may want to sling the poney...makes life easier.

Before you jump...I know you do not want to sling it...
Don't knock t'ill you tried it. If you never tried it then you have no clue if it is what works best for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom