Pony Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

having dove with several types of pony bottles including steel ones I settled on the following configuration which works well for me in similar environments to the OP.

-For 60 FFW +/- I use an aluminum 19 with a quick draw bracket, mk17 DIN first stage, S600 second stage on necklace w/ short hose, and button gauge. This tank only ever has air in it and is used for a pony only.

-For dives deeper than 60 FFW but within recreational limits (+/- a few feet) I sling an aluminum 40 with standard dive rite stage rigging using large bolt snaps, scubapro mk17 DIN first stage, S600 second stage on 40" hose and stowed in a dive rite stage pocket on the tank, and button gauge.

as time and money permit I plan to change the gauge on the al40 to a 1.5" dive rite on 6" short hose.

For deeper stuff it doesn't make sense not to use doubles or just get a breather.

I dedicate my pony regs and leave them attached to the bottles at all time and only ever put air in them, they are marked accordingly for air usage too. My pony regs are identical to my backgas no matter what configuration I dive (doubles, sidemount, aga, singles, etc) so I know they perform.

I dont know what the OP has for a SAC rate but he needs to identify his gas needs before settling on a small tank like a 13. especially so if diving nitrox or using large cylinders where bottom times and deco obligations may become an issue.

Both the options I use seem to offer the highest value of gas for the maximum streamlined profile at those depths. I have owned several pony size tanks and am well aware of my air consumption so these may not be the best size for the OP but given the other posts it seems to be a trend to use 19's and 40's.

Have a specific recommendation? link?

Thanks!
nd

Leisure Pro sent out an ad last week with one of the larger type button gauges on special for $20. I have it mounted to my Razor that is mounted on an AL30. I have it slung on the left side from top to hip d-ring. My resting SAC is .36 and I did the math and decided that for 120' dives, that was the minimum I could justify.

FWIW, I think you could rig a 13 with the lower snap bolt hanging down, as it were, so it would reach the hip d-ring. The upper would still be at the break and hold the top of the cylinder in the right position. For that matter, I guess you could tie in two lower snap bolts. One that would be positioned properly for cross mounting and one longer to reach the hip d-ring.

I like the Razor. Don't really need an environmentally sealed pony reg on the dives I do. It would be overkill. :)

Last edited:
To all of you who replied with constructive answers I appreciate it.

Some of you really crack me up. You act like I am a criminal for not wanting to use a 19 cu ft tank instead of a 13 cu ft tank. What is 6 cu ft? It is the amount that a 'spare air' holds that you love to rip apart when someone mentions it.

I love the idea that a 13 cu ft pony is so ridiculous but a 19 cu ft will magically save your life.

Like I stated I have a great buddy always near and would like an ADDITIONAL backup.

I appreciate a suggestion of considering a bigger pony (and will consider it) but some of you really talk down to people because you do not happen to agree with their decision.

I alway manage my air usage and leave at least 1000 psi to ascend. The pony would be used only to ascend if my main tank was no longer working because of a failed o ring, broken regulator line or clogged with debris etc. I would use my brothers octo but just to add an additional layer of safety I would have a pony which I know will easily get me to the surface with a safety stop.

I am not looking for validation. I am secure in my decision and was only looking for advice on what first stages were available. Thanks to those that gave me some options.

If you feel you need a 40 cu ft pony to go 100 ft then go to town.

Many people on here stated that they were able to CESA from 100 ft. I am not confident that I can do that but I am absolutely confident I would be able to ascend with 13 cu ft.

Once again this is only directed at the self appointed scuba police who made insulting comments. To all others thanks for the help

Last edited:
I just bought this one from Piranha Dive Manufacturing out of the hot deals forum
12-656.jpg
14.95 plus shipping I thought it was a good deal for my 13 cft

besides the added capacity a 19 balances out better for slinging and adds a bit more weight so you can remove some of that lead.

also a 19 will last me about 1/2hr (down to 250 psi) at 30ft plus or minus depending on conditions. its a nice easy number cause its close to 1/4th the capacity of your backgas assuming you use an 80 (which is actually something like 77 cubic ft).

I alway manage my air usage and leave at least 1000 psi to ascend.

I'm not sure what your RMV is and don't really feel like working the numbers right now, but unless it's really good - less than .4 - 1000psi isn't going to be enough to get you back to the surface safely should something happen right at that point. To safely ascend from 100fsw with an average RMV of .5 and having something go wrong, you would need at least 1600psi to get safely to the surface with a safety stop. That is based on complete air loss by either you or your buddy and both of you breathing off the same tank. This would also suggest a 13cf pony is going to get you just shy of the surface if you were to do a safety stop. Remember, your air consumption will increase when $#!t hits the fan. It will likely double or more. You may not think so, but until you've been there, you don't know for sure. I've been there. Air consumption goes up and it becomes difficult to control it. Not trying to be an a$$hole, just trying to help.

Many people have extremely strong opinions on this topic. You must be very comfortable and familiar with the equipment you have chosen to support your life. I have dived for several years with a 19 cu ft Al tank, DIN valve, real SPG on short hose, excellent reg, slung on my left for dives within recreational limits, no deco, no overhead. I frequently travel with this setup despite the hassle. I practice frequently but have not had to deploy for real. I always start with a complete fill. I'm very comfortable and familiar with my equipment, someday I may have to test my choices, I'm ready.

Please give serious thought to a 30 or 40. I don't know the cold water experience of the ZEagle Razor ... I'd want something that I know I can depend on for my emergency gear, remember that's your last line of defense ... after your team.

I use the Zeagle pony system which consist of the razor plus a 20 cft bottle see link below. It is a really nice design very compact. The 20 cft is enough for the majority of my diving which 130 ft is rare. It can be slung or tank mounted both are very comfortable. However it is nice that the threads will work for a larger tank so if the need arises I can always buy a larger tank used and rotate as needed. News Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer

Back
Top Bottom