Pony: Do I need a quick release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm taking a solo diver class next month and will order a 19 cu ft pony as a redundant air source. I will not necessarily dive by myself any time soon but since I do photography under water I thought it would be a good idea to be trained in a way that makes me safer if I find myself alone at some point. I will need to strap the pony to my main tank on my BC, slinging in front of my chest is not an option. Question is: I can't decide whether I want a pony attachment system that is reliable and cheap, but does not allow for rapid disconnect of the pony underwater, or whether I should get one of those quick release systems (e.g. Quickdraw, Remora, Pony Tamer etc.) I was thinking there might be a situation when I need to detach the pony and ditch the rest of my gear, for example if seriously entangled, and ascend with only the pony and nothing else. But I'm not sure whether this scenario is a) realistic and b) warrants spending a premium on a quick release system.

Any thoughts?

Hi all,

I will need to strap the pony to my main tank on my BC, slinging in front of my chest is not an option.

Any thoughts?

What does taking pictures have to do with this? Tec diver do LOTS of underwater film work.

The other thing you might try is using an argon mounting system or mounting like a DIR "can" light.

Ron

I really like the Zeagle Pony Bottle Attachment. It is very secure, easy to move (it moves with the back pack/ BC) and easy to adjust. The cam buckles could be quickly disconnected underwater if needed to remove the cylinder.
Also for $25 I think is very reasonable.
Zeagle Pony Bottle Attachment, Scuba Tanks, Zeagle, Zeagle Pony Bottle Attachment

The more likely situation where I can think of removing the pony underwater would be to hand it to someone else, but the flexibility is there for any situation.

I wear mine on my back. Mine is not easily detachable, but I suspect if I ditched the tank, swam around and opened a buckle or two, I could get the pony free underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom