pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassyknoll:
I think I know how to quiet the detractors, we aren't diving a pony, no sir no way; we are diving doubles, it's just a detached-independent doubles rig.....

Actually, its a hybrid backmount/sidemount rig. You put one tank on the back, put one on the side and swim on......

scarfaceDM says:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poney users have never trained to use them effectivley. Some just go by what they see and follow the leader. Instead of getting some form of training in setting it up/attachment/placment...proper deployment, what is or would be the right size.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, I see and of course we who have used them forever are what, untrained and somehow inferior to you who does not use them and who obviously understsands their use more than we who use them?

This is what I think, it is true that somebody has not been trained in their use.

Why is training the answer for everything? So, it is not possible for an adult of rational and normally intelligent mind to develop a skill on their own, to understand something without paying for a PadI specialty course?--don't be ridiculous.

N

My instructor covered the use and deployment of a pony during my deep diving class. I think one of the reasons he covered it was because (1) he knew it was a new skill for me and (2) he required the use of a pony during the class and (3) the course manual recommend their use while deep diving.

So I got a pretty good lesson on rigging, usage, etc.

Where does it say PADI, take a course????..and your calling me ridiculous??? You assume too much...I said « Never Trained to Use it Properly » Maybe I should have said Never SHOWN for lack of a better word.

Why do many oppose a source of training. It does not only come from taking a course...it comes from mentoring. Why not mentor someone for a change. Show them the ropes and make them safer.

I dove a poney after I got my Advanced. A more experienced diver showed me how to set it up and explained to me the advantages and disadvantages of placement. WHat woul dbe the right size for me. I did use my own rational-figuring it out and setting it up...but I was guided on how. Never told to do this nor that...but sugested.

I have since removed my PONEY from my primary tank to a sling. I now use it as a stage. Rigged accordingly and I find this methode better than on my back. I am more balanced this way and deployment is simpler. I can detach it if needed and give it to an OOA if ever.

I now call my PONEY A Stage. which still is a source of Redundant gas on a recreational dive.

I have shown a few divers whom wanted a source of redundant gas. I went through the motions as it was shown to me. They opted for the back mounted set up. Others went with a sling. TO each his own. but they were shown how.

Nemrod:
scarfaceDM says:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poney users have never trained to use them effectivley. Some just go by what they see and follow the leader. Instead of getting some form of training in setting it up/attachment/placment...proper deployment, what is or would be the right size.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, I see and of course we who have used them forever are what, untrained and somehow inferior to you who does not use them and who obviously understsands their use more than we who use them?

This is what I think, it is true that somebody has not been trained in their use.

Why is training the answer for everything? So, it is not possible for an adult of rational and normally intelligent mind to develop a skill on their own, to understand something without paying for a PadI specialty course?--don't be ridiculous.

N

ScarfaceDM, your the one ASSUMING and your assuming everyone who dives who is not DIR or who has not taken a bunch of specialty courses is un-traained. It is what YOU SAID, so I don't have to assume anything, I quoted you exactly. Some people are capable of self training and inventing on their own.

N

I think we side tracked...

I never assume...ok some times...

I happen to agree...many folks can self train...I am one of them. and there are many whom need a guiding hand...if those whom have the capaity to self train...do not feel what I said come off as assuming you have not or you are not capable of using this particular peice of gear.

I meant train yes...learn and do...on your own or with a mentor..or take a course...but learn properly..if t works for you great..it may not work for someone else.

Regardless.

Were thinking the same way..just wording it different...and no harm no foul...

Nemrod:
ScarfaceDM, your the one ASSUMING and your assuming everyone who dives who is not DIR or who has not taken a bunch of specialty courses is un-traained. It is what YOU SAID, so I don't have to assume anything, I quoted you exactly. Some people are capable of self training and inventing on their own.

N

Sorry then, I am not against training, just people should not assume that a stack of specialty cards means anything. Using a pony, stage, etc is not exactly diffucult. More than anything it requires discipline to refrain from using the extra air supply to extend a dive which seems to be the main area of contention with anti pony crowd. That is not exactly a hard thing to learn, pony for emergency only--ok---now how hard is that? N

N

How hard is it to use a pony:confused:

Spit out reg, grab pony reg, insert into mouth, push purge and breathe. Yeah requires lots of training - better practice it lots too, might forget that complicated procedure.

Training not to use gas to extend dive - also tough - I can see the course materials now:

Don't use the pony gas to extend your dive - only use it as bailout"

OK now class time for the PADI multiple choice exam - be careful you need better than 50% to pass:

Should you plan to use your pony to extend your dive time. Yes or No
Should you use your pony to extend your dive time. Yes or No
Should you use your pony in an emergency OOA situation. Yes or No

GOT to have that cert card!!!!:rofl3:

I can't believe we continue to bash this back and forth. If you want to use one, use one. If you want to dive doubles, dive doubles. If you want to rely on the buddy team only, rely on the buddy team only. As my mother would say, "Goodness gracious!"

DivnHoosier, the answer to your question is because every time a person asks a simple question about how to rig a pony, tips on use, appropriate sizes, how to travel with them or whatever they get shouted down by the scubaDIRboard police who insist on monopolizing the field of opinion that theirs alone is fact and everybody other than them is in need of their superior training at which point they would see the carmic light and realize how stupid they have been for even thinking to use a pony bottle. BS.

N

Back
Top Bottom