pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zed3

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
have purchaces a sausage, strobe light and whistle for second stage, anyones thoughts on a pony bottle as well I feel its more a comfort thing but being a newbe would appeciate any thoughts on this.

The best thing you can do right now to improve your safety is to go diving. Stay within the limits of your training, plan your dives carefully, and log as many as you can. You have the safety equipment basics covered, save the pony bottle money for fills.

zed3:
have purchaces a sausage, strobe light and whistle for second stage, anyones thoughts on a pony bottle as well I feel its more a comfort thing but being a newbe would appeciate any thoughts on this.

I'm a noob, but I'm buying a 19cf one in a week. Of course, I've already run into a situation where it would have been very useful :D

Ice9:
I'm a noob, but I'm buying a 19cf one in a week. Of course, I've already run into a situation where it would have been very useful :D

what happened that a pony bottle would have been usefull?

dogtownmax:
what happened that a pony bottle would have been usefull?

Bad decisions in a Trust-Me situation at 120 ft over a wreck in the DomRep. Its rather embarassing really... :shakehead

Better a 30 or 40 instead of a 19 IMHO. You'll hardly notice any of them, but the larger bottle will give you a bigger reserve, have a better resale value, and will be suitable for deco diving use if you ever decide to get into it down the line.

If you're thinking of getting one, remember also to budget for a regulator for it.

thanks for the advice from all im just thinking from a safety point of view cost isnt the issue

MSilvia:
Better a 30 or 40 instead of a 19 IMHO. You'll hardly notice any of them, but the larger bottle will give you a bigger reserve, have a better resale value, and will be suitable for deco diving use if you ever decide to get into it down the line.

If you're thinking of getting one, remember also to budget for a regulator for it.

I second that 100%. I
would also suggest using something called (i think) "Easy stage", which costs like 30 bucks and is perfect for slinging smaller tanks from your D-rings. However, mounting on the back is just as good, just make sure you dive with it in the pool just to make sure that you are not tilting in the water and no ballast weight needed to counteract the pony. (talk to your instructor abou this)

First, I would suggest identifying situations in which a pony would be your only way out. Then sort out why you are getting into those situations and how to minimize them. This may involve slightly adjusting your diving.

Second, I would then work out my 'path' in diving. This may take more dives and more time in the water. But this will help you in working out what size bottle to get (if you still feel you need one) and how to wear it.

Note: I'm not advising against it, but I think a bit of 'soul searching' can help you beyond the "I'm adding a bottle".

:)

Yours

Bjorn

jeckyll:
First, I would suggest identifying situations in which a pony would be your only way out. Then sort out why you are getting into those situations and how to minimize them. This may involve slightly adjusting your diving.

Second, I would then work out my 'path' in diving. This may take more dives and more time in the water. But this will help you in working out what size bottle to get (if you still feel you need one) and how to wear it.

Note: I'm not advising against it, but I think a bit of 'soul searching' can help you beyond the "I'm adding a bottle".

:)

Yours

Bjorn

Amen!

Back
Top Bottom