pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassyknoll:
I think I know how to quiet the detractors, we aren't diving a pony, no sir no way; we are diving doubles, it's just a detached-independent doubles rig.....
So now you want to open up the independent doubles argument.:popcorn:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassyknoll
I think I know how to quiet the detractors, we aren't diving a pony, no sir no way; we are diving doubles, it's just a detached-independent doubles rig.....

So now you want to open up the independent doubles argument.

No, god no! I just wonder if some oppose the concept due to the term "Pony Bottle", it's not very manly and if your'e not reeeeeeeeal secure in your masuclinity it could be seen to "sissify' you by using one. So to fix this we give it a cool name and presto, acceptance!

grassyknoll:
I just wonder if some oppose the concept due to the term "Pony Bottle", it's not very manly and if your'e not reeeeeeeeal secure in your masuclinity it could be seen to "sissify' you by using one. So to fix this we give it a cool name and presto, acceptance!

How about Piece of Necessary Emergency Equipment (PONEE)

Well to put a wrench in the gears....

Poney users have never trained to use them effectivley. Some just go by what they see and follow the leader. Instead of getting some form of training in setting it up/attachment/placment...proper deployment, what is or would be the right size.

How to balance the use of a poney attached to a main tank. Bouyancy issues.

These are just simple things that if learned and practiced will remove any misgiving related to poney bottles as a means of a CRUTCH..as the term has been used.

You have to look at the PONEY as an emergency bail out for a buddy team or solo diver. Not for use in extended range dives while sporting a single 80. Diver is lead into a false sence of redundancy...80 cub + 30 cub...WOW 110 cub of gas!

Not the attitude to take.

Poney = redundant gas for an emergency.
Can be slinged or attached to a main tank.
This term is used in recreational Sport diving. Please Open - Now Exit Yelling...:D

Stage = redundant gas for an emergency bailout...Slinged to the left side.
This term is widely used in tech diving, cave diving ( diving in overhead environments and extended range diving )

SO what is the difference I ask???

No difference! except the words.

They are both used for redundant gas. They both can be any size you want them to be. They both can be SLINGED to facilited pass-of-the-gas to an OOA in the event of an OOA or used as a means of BAIL-OUT for the primary user.
Can also be used as a back travel gas in stages of decompression.

Typically a Poney is 19 to 30 cub
Stage bottles are from 40 to 80 depending on the dive.

Size is relative to the type of dive you will be making and trained for.

So poney up the stage...Sling that sucker up and put another steak on the BarB!

Class dismissed.

Safe dives
Stephen

They are both used for redundant gas. They both can be any size you want them to be. They both can be SLINGED to facilited pass-of-the-gas to an OOA in the event of an OOA or used as a means of BAIL-OUT for the primary user.
Can also be used as a back travel gas in stages of decompression.

Beavis-"Huh, huh....you said Pass Gas...huh, huh....

Totally agree, to dumb it down:
Pony as extra gas bad,
Pony as back up gas good.

grassyknoll:
Beavis-"Huh, huh....you said Pass Gas...huh, huh....

Totally agree, to dumb it down:
Pony as extra gas bad,
Pony as back up gas good.

-sarcasm begins...
WOW! I can't believe it! No one has ever said that before. You mean it's OK to use my pony as backup emergency gas? Hooray!
-sarcasm over

Comrade Diver - FD

You know it seems kind of crazy how a newbie can ask an off the wall question about a technology or skill they probably shouldn't attempt quite yet and twenty pages later people with hundreds of dives are arguing. Now most of the people left in this debate have the skill and the where with all to use a sling tank. It misses the point of a diver with less than 25 dives trying to master the extra burden of carrying yet another piece of equipment they are not real familiar with to use in an emergency.

I think pony bottles of sufficient size for the dive at hand, and or stage bottles have a definite place but only after good sound basic experience.

Isn't this the real point or am I missing something?

Pony bottle - redundant gas source you don't plan on using
Stage Bottle - an additional gas source you probably will use (travel, deco, etc)
Spare air - now there's someting scary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom