pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should you plan to use your pony to extend your dive time. Yes or No --(yes)
Should you use your pony to extend your dive time. Yes or No--- (yes)
Should you use your pony in an emergency OOA situation. Yes or No--(no)

Darnold9999, I took your PadI Pony Test and failed, please provide me a crib sheet. I failed the PaDi specialty class on color coordinating my snorkel tube device (STD) with my weight intergrated device bouyancy compensating device when I got my depth measuring device confused with my tank air pressure delievery to ambient pressure modulating device and choked. N

Nemrod:
DivnHoosier, the answer to your question is because every time a person asks a simple question about how to rig a pony, tips on use, appropriate sizes, how to travel with them or whatever they get shouted down by the scubaDIRboard police who insist on monopolizing the field of opinion that theirs alone is fact and everybody other than them is in need of their superior training at which point they would see the carmic light and realize how stupid they have been for even thinking to use a pony bottle. BS.

N

See your point. Regardless, when I decided to add one I was able to glean enough info out of your posts and others to get it done. I simply ignored the posts that said "Here's why you don't want one ...." and focused on those that said "Here's what I've done and how I use it ..." The information is out there, you just have to sludge through those who are arguing against using them.

Darnold9999, I took your PadI Pony Test and failed, please provide me a crib sheet. I failed the PaDi specialty class on color coordinating my snorkel tube device (STD) with my weight intergrated device bouyancy compensating device when I got my depth measuring device confused with my tank air pressure delievery to ambient pressure modulating device and choked. N

Nemrod-Don't worry, PADI is going to issue a new dive table wheel that is actually useful, on the back will be a color wheel that helps the PADI diver to color coordinate: Purple mask frame can be paired with blue, yellow or red fins but never green-Thumb the Dive.

Of course I am just kidding, we all know you can only have BLACK gear:D

The continuing evolution of my dive rig for the coming year. The 19cf pony wears a MarkV clone with Oceanic Omega and mini spg and is slung with a homemade rig. The Phoenix Royal Aqua Master sits atop a Faber 85LP tank on Hammmerhead plate outfitted with a MachV wing. The Phoenix supports an octapus tekna T2100 on a 36 inch swivel hose and Manta bungee, note Tekna dagger and my old ScubaPro mini console with super accurate Tekna 0-240 foot guage. More than adequate for my normal diving depths of 60 to 100 feet and the occasional 130 footer. N

DSCF0250.jpg

Nemrod:
The continuing evolution of my dive rig for the coming year. The 19cf pony wears a MarkV clone with Oceanic Omega and mini spg and is slung with a homemade rig. The Phoenix Royal Aqua Master sits atop a Faber 85LP tank on Hammmerhead plate outfitted with a MachV wing. The Phoenix supports an octapus tekna T2100 on a 36 inch swivel hose and Manta bungee, note Tekna dagger and my old ScubaPro mini console with super accurate Tekna 0-240 foot guage. More than adequate for my normal diving depths of 60 to 100 feet and the occasional 130 footer. N

DSCF0250.jpg

A stroke rig, if I have ever seen one. lol :rofl3:

Seriously, it looks good. I need to outfit a pony myself.

Originally Posted by Nemrod

Nemrod, nice rig but I have to ask a question. Let me preface by saying I know you do a lot of solo diving, but do you change up your rig for buddy diving? The reason I ask is that I am a big fan of wearing the octo on a necklace but I imagine if your buddy went OOA it would be pretty tough to turn over a double hose primary and switch to the octo. What is your plan, pull and present the necklaced octo or do you reconfigure?

grassyknoll:
Nemrod, nice rig but I have to ask a question. Let me preface by saying I know you do a lot of solo diving, but do you change up your rig for buddy diving? The reason I ask is that I am a big fan of wearing the octo on a necklace but I imagine if your buddy went OOA it would be pretty tough to turn over a double hose primary and switch to the octo. What is your plan, pull and present the necklaced octo or do you reconfigure?
Maybe to hand off the PONEE!

Maybe to hand off the PONEE!
You can have my Pony when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers...sorry, bouncing back and forth between SB and the NRA chatroom.

But you wouldn't really hand it off would you, just pull the bungeed first. I guess you could pull the first and then unclip both clips and hand it over but seems like a lot of work if you're just going to ascend together anyway.
Still, all conjecture until Nemrod sets it straight.

But you wouldn't really hand it off would you, just pull the bungeed first. I guess you could pull the first and then unclip both clips and hand it over but seems like a lot of work if you're just going to ascend together anyway.
Still, all conjecture until Nemrod sets it straight.

First as in pull the reg first and unclip second....puling the first stage at depth could be uh, bad. I'm taking some cold medication and going to bed before I screw this up any more......

No need to hand off the pony, the Omega is a side breather and can go left or right. Since you ask for solo I would not have the octapus unless I was flipping back and forth every day or something like that. Besides I only have about fifty regulators/dive sets to choose from so I can set up dedicated rigs for ANY task.

If I was buddy diving without the pony I would hand off the octpaus as is standard practice in 95% of the world and I would keep my double hose. The Manta bungee pops free easily as does the slip knot bungee necklaces I make. I like it around my neck because it does not hang down and drag that way and I know where it is for a quick deployment. The second is on a 36-44 inch hose and I route it under my arm--not over. The second is usually set up with a swivel.

Thing is I don't dive the same rig all the time, the one shown is an amlagamation but not necessarily exactly how I would dive it. Often the Tekna is replaced with a more durable all metal Voit MR12 or Conshelf for example. I like the Tekna or Omega on the pony because side exhaust regulators have no up or down. I like to mix thigs up, I have no standard rig.

BTW, my wife can buddy breath and any buddy I dive with regularly learns it.

The picture is shown to demonstrate what a slung 19cf pony looks like in scale with the other equipment. I think you can imagine in your mind's eye how it would ride slung there like that--you hardly notice it.

Grassyknoll, if your asking if I don't use my double hose regulators when buddy diving--yes--I use them. Thats is what I prefer to dive. The regulator shown is capable of out peforming virtually anything at depth. It is superbly reliable and rugged and simple and has depending upon how I rig it upwards of four to six LP ports and three HP ports to support even commercial type diving where tools might be operated.

OH. I see, you think that yellow hose is coming around from the pony?--no--it comes from the Aqua Master, the pony has a full regulator of it's own, in this pic an Oceanic Omega II.

N<----maximum stroke and proud of it

Back
Top Bottom