pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by james croft
How does it hurt for the majority of divers not doing cave diving or the like?
I´m not picking on you because I sort of see your point but if the criteria for whether we take gear on a dive or not is that it doesen´t HURT, well then, bring on the kitchen sink!

grazie42:
I´m not picking on you because I sort of see your point but if the criteria for whether we take gear on a dive or not is that it doesen´t HURT, well then, bring on the kitchen sink!

I don't want to pick on you either because the minimalist philosphy is very mainstream. My only point is that on each dive, there is a set of absolute required equirment. IE, the bare minimun. Above that, you can add additional equipment to a point without causing significant added complexity or busyness. Then you get into the swimming dive shops arena (ie, the kitchen sink).

In this case, a pony, while more than the minimum required, may not truly adversely affect the diver in question. It's along the same lines as those who carry a spare mask on dives where it may not be needed. To each thier own.

in_cavediver:
In this case, a pony, while more than the minimum required, may not truly adversely affect the diver in question.

No you are wrong. It will cause divers to disregard their pressure guage, breath their main tank down to nothing, fail to stay with their buddy and cause them to never learn how to calculate their air consumption, to plan a safe dive and will give them a psychological crutch which will tempt them to exceed all recreational dive recommendations..and besides that you can easily do a CESA from all recreational depths ...and, and, and, .... don't forget that whatever pony someone might choose, it is definitely too small. Does that sum it up?

dumpsterDiver:
No you are wrong. It will cause divers to disregard their pressure guage, breath their main tank down to nothing, fail to stay with their buddy and cause them to never learn how to calculate their air consumption, to plan a safe dive and will give them a psychological crutch which will tempt them to exceed all recreational dive recommendations..and besides that you can easily do a CESA from all recreational depths ...and, and, and, .... don't forget that whatever pony someone might choose, it is definitely too small. Does that sum it up?
A fine summation:D

Oh and they are much too complicated for the average diver to safely use (sorry forgot that)

dumpsterDiver:

That pretty much covers it. I'm always facinated by these theoretical land-based discussions.

It's easy to sit at a desk and say "Ponys are bad. m'k?", however things change in a hurry when someone is out of air and you have an extra 30+ CuFt sitting right there in front of you.

Terry

dumpsterDiver:

I understand the points you raise, however I disagree with you. A well-trained diver will use the pony as an asset in case of emergency rather than a crutch. Pony bottles do not cause the situations you describe above, poor training and/or a poor attitude cause them.

ams511:
I understand the points you raise, however I disagree with you. A well-trained diver will use the pony as an asset in case of emergency rather than a crutch. Pony bottles do not cause the situations you describe above, poor training and/or a poor attitude cause them.
I think you missed the invisible smilies. It is not dumpsterDiver that you are disagreeing with, it is the many pony detractors.

Despte the wide use of and successful application of pony botles by many divers for many years on scubaDIRboard.com YOU will get shouted down if you provide any pro pony botle bottle posts. You will be accused of not reading your spg, not knowing how to manage your resources, being slow of mind, possibly a terrorist and of questionable upbringing.

That is fine, I will continue to use pony bottles for those dives that warrant one in my opinion and in my opinion they ar a very effective solution for redundancy without having to go to the heavy doubles with all the drag and complication they present for travel.

N

Despte the wide use of and successful application of pony botles by many divers for many years on scubaDIRboard.com YOU will get shouted down if you provide any pro pony botle bottle posts. You will be accused of not reading your spg, not knowing how to manage your resources, being slow of mind, possibly a terrorist and of questionable upbringing.

That is fine, I will continue to use pony bottles for those dives that warrant one in my opinion and in my opinion they ar a very effective solution for redundancy without having to go to the heavy doubles with all the drag and complication they present for travel.

I think I know how to quiet the detractors, we aren't diving a pony, no sir no way; we are diving doubles, it's just a detached-independent doubles rig.....

Back
Top Bottom