pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
Picture attached.....
All white gear...the opposite of DIR I see :wink:

Edit:...No fun...you edited it :wink:

matt_unique:
I personally think you would have to be crazy to rely on another person while diving. They talk about "failure points".....buddy reliance is one of the largest and most lethal "failure points" I can imagine.

And "Buddy Reliance" is the warcry of the solo diver.

I'd put my diving skills up against any solo diver of similar experience to mine, but choose to dive using the team approach. I still don't understand why this choice turns me into a dysfunctional co-dependent diver...

lamont:
yes, LP14 argon bottle.

i hate driving to issaquah to get argon fills and i can get about 10 dives off of that thing...

Makes sense, the size was what made me question it. But why carry more than you need? But actually, the unnecessarily large bottle probably doesn't get in the way and it is a convience. Almost sounds like a pony bottle.:D

JeffG:
What is this talk of ‘release’? Klingons do not make software ‘releases’. Our software ‘escapes’ leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.

-- Anonymous Klingon Programmer

I like your new sig line. I think our HR department must be targetting Klingon universities for recruitment drives...

I've licked the "bad gas management" problem and never "run out" of air. However, I'm still having problems managing the "boat buddy" problem.

Can you enlighten me on how I bring along my regular buddy when traveling on vacation with my non-diving wife?

When traveling, I never know if my buddy is Superman or someone who bolts to the surface because of a mask leak.

My pony always has gas for me. The same can't always be said for my boat buddies.

Terry

lamont:
If the pony has no use on the dive, then you should not bring it to minimize the gear that you have. If you are bringing the pony bottle for a reason, then you clearly think that there is some problem that the pony bottle is solving. In all circumstances the problem that the pony bottle is solving (bad gas management and bad buddy skills most likely) can and should be addressed some other way. Therefore a pony bottle is a symptom of a problem.

awap:
Makes sense, the size was what made me question it. But why carry more than you need? But actually, the unnecessarily large bottle probably doesn't get in the way and it is a convience. Almost sounds like a pony bottle.:D

Actually, on small 6-pak dives it can get it the way on the boat and for wreck penetration it could be an entanglement or keyholing hazard. For typical use, though, its convenient and does not cause any in-water issues. The oversize bottle also isn't compensating for lack of in-water skills or anything like that, its just compensating for all the convenient local dive shops that had argon closing on me and that I don't have any space to put a booster. I'll probably wind up with a waist-mount and a couple smaller argon bottles, though, for those times when the size does get in the way...

Web Monkey:
Can you enlighten me on how I bring along my regular buddy when traveling on vacation with my non-diving wife?

non-diving spouses are clearly not DIR.

lamont:
I like your new sig line. I think our HR department must be targetting Klingon universities for recruitment drives...
Well, I just found the website that has the top 12 things Klingon Programmer say. It was just to true to my current project. So I had to adopt the saying :)

My next fav was: You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!

http://tannagh.com/post/2004/04/12-things-a-klingon-programmer-would-say/

Back
Top Bottom