Pony Bottles on NJ Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You now make the assumption that those who only dive solo are not skilled at team diving.

Please point out where I've said solo divers are not skilled.

I believe I said that those that do not commit to team diving are not going to be good at it. I think the same holds true for solo diving (or any diving).

The only ones being narrow minded and making assumptions about skills/safety are those dictating diving style.

Nah, he's just trolling and I'm taking his bait and clocking him over the head with it.

It beats the downtime at work.

:cool2:

I hear ya. I usually don't stoop to this level but oh well......

No, I make the very reasonable assumption that those that only dive solo are not skilled at team diving. That hardly seems controversial. I'm sure they're fine divers. Just not good team divers. Team diving takes commitment and skill, just as anything in diving does. If you only solo, then of course redundancy is critical.

Not once have I said one way is better than another. The only ones making that argument are the NJ boat operators that don't feel team diving is adequate to recreational dives in the North Atlantic. Having done hundreds of such dives, I feel I have a fair perspective on what they take to execute safely.

Team diving takes skill and commitment, solo diving takes skill and commitment. What's the problem? I might use different techniques for either style of diving, but I feel confident diving both styles. I still carry all the redundancy for either type. Doubles and at least a 30 cu ft pony.

After 30 or so quarry dives for Naui Basic OW and OW2 (that's what they called it then), it was off to offshore NY-NJ. It can be a tough diving day, and it can be georgous diving day. What's wrong with being prepared for either. For my Naui Advanced/Wreck/Deep Certification, doubles and a pony bottle were, and still are the norm. But I dive NC with the same redundancy. I don't get a lot of opportunities to go to the tropics to dive anymore, but I would still use the same gear.

I've known many NJ captains, and still know a good amount today. I don't remember any of them that said that they don't feel that "team diving is adequate to recreational dives in the North Atlantic."

I hear your 'assumption,' and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it's accurate.

Please point out where I've said solo divers are not skilled.

I believe I said that those that do not commit to team diving are not going to be good at it.

Sure, it's right here:

No, I make the very reasonable assumption that those that only dive solo are not skilled at team diving.

2vlog00.gif

LOL I knew he was backpeddling.

Um, yeah, if you "only dive solo" (i.e. don't dive in teams) you're unlikely to be a very good team diver.

You now make the assumption that those who only dive solo are not skilled at team diving.

1- Please point to where you said anything remotely along the lines of 'Those that only dive solo are not skilled at team diving" prior to the post that I just quoted.

I don't see that anywhere and if it doesn't exist, you are now doing the age old technique of "backpeddling", which is another way of saying you know you have no clue what you're saying so you're making stuff up as you go along.

2- Even if you should happen to find some sort of quote along the lines of "those who only dive solo are not skilled at team diving" all that means is that you aren't back peddling, you're just wrong.

A diver might very well have dived as a buddy team for years and decided to dive solo recently, which means his buddy skills are fine, if not a bit "rusty" if it's been a while.

So you're either backpeddling and wrong or just wrong

Which is it?

PS Are you having Deja Vu?

If not you've got some pretty bad short term memory

And I think that's great. I wouldn't want to dictate to you how to dive. If you feel that doubles and a pony are what it takes for you to feel safe, then you SHOULD take them. Just makes sense.

My only issue is with operators that feel they know best what is safe for my diving (especially when I'm familiar with the environment in question). I think it's silly to "force" buddies (because you don't find solo divers adequate). I also think it's silly to "force" redundancy (because you don't find teams adequate) on recreational dives. Either position strikes me as narrow minded.

Look, there's no question that SOME divers would be better off with a pony bottle. I also don't think it's controversial that SOME teams without ponies are going to be safer than SOME divers with ponies. Why not let the divers decide for themselves? If you believe in personal responsibility, this seems the best approach. Thankfully, in all the places I've dived, I've been able to find operators with a similar philosophy.

Team diving takes skill and commitment, solo diving takes skill and commitment. What's the problem? I might use different techniques for either style of diving, but I feel confident diving both styles. I still carry all the redundancy for either type. Doubles and at least a 30 cu ft pony.

After 30 or so quarry dives for Naui Basic OW and OW2 (that's what they called it then), it was off to offshore NY-NJ. It can be a tough diving day, and it can be georgous diving day. What's wrong with being prepared for either. For my Naui Advanced/Wreck/Deep Certification, doubles and a pony bottle were, and still are the norm. But I dive NC with the same redundancy. I don't get a lot of opportunities to go to the tropics to dive anymore, but I would still use the same gear.

I've known many NJ captains, and still know a good amount today. I don't remember any of them that said that they don't feel that "team diving is adequate to recreational dives in the North Atlantic."

I hear your 'assumption,' and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it's accurate.

Back
Top Bottom