Pony bottles and air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkaquatics

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success or failure carrying a 6 cu ft pony bottle on a plane? I contacted the TSA as well as the DOT (haz. mat. division and each point the finger to the other for an answer. Basically told that as long as it's empty it shouldn't be an issue but left up to the TSA and if checked and they find it, it's at thier discretion to leave it or remove it from your checked bag.

I've traveled with my 19cf in my carry-on numerous times. It's a guaranteed bag check but I've never had a problem. The tank must be unpressurized with the valve removed. I print out the TSA regs and keep a copy with me and just plug the tank. I would never put it in my checked bag. If some TSA bozo finds it and doesn't know the rules (which is highly likely) say goodbye to your tank. A 6cf should fit in your carry-on with ease.

Never had problems with my 13 cu ft on a carry on in Mexico, nor in Ft. Lauderdale. Had problem only once in Detroit metro. The TSA supervisor refused to let me through until he checked his rule books. His employees knew the rules and he didn't. They had to put a penny inside and turn the xray to "deep fried" to make sure no contrabands are inside. As I understand, some airliner charge you xtra money to check in tanks. Fortunately, most airline has websites that will tell you if they will or will not charge for scuba tanks. Spirit airline does not, so I now carry my tank in check in luggages if flying with spirit.

I would remove the valve and pack it padded separately from the tank. I would wrap a garbage bag around the tank to keep dust and moisture out, and make it easy for TSA to remove and observe or test the tank. I can guarantee you will get a tag inside your bag with the tank - saying that TSA has sniffed all your dirty underwear that was packed with the tank.

Oh, for your information, I got through custom in mexico REALLY fast when I packed my dirty clothes together with my dive gears!! One look, and the girl waved me through.

Has anyone had any success or failure carrying a 6 cu ft pony bottle on a plane? I contacted the TSA as well as the DOT (haz. mat. division and each point the finger to the other for an answer. Basically told that as long as it's empty it shouldn't be an issue but left up to the TSA and if checked and they find it, it's at thier discretion to leave it or remove it from your checked bag.

Take it apart & you'll have no problems.......

Never had problems with my 13 cu ft on a carry on in Mexico, nor in Ft. Lauderdale. Had problem only once in Detroit metro. The TSA supervisor refused to let me through until he checked his rule books. His employees knew the rules and he didn't. They had to put a penny inside and turn the xray to "deep fried" to make sure no contrabands are inside. As I understand, some airliner charge you xtra money to check in tanks. Fortunately, most airline has websites that will tell you if they will or will not charge for scuba tanks. Spirit airline does not, so I now carry my tank in check in luggages if flying with spirit.

I would remove the valve and pack it padded separately from the tank. I would wrap a garbage bag around the tank to keep dust and moisture out, and make it easy for TSA to remove and observe or test the tank. I can guarantee you will get a tag inside your bag with the tank - saying that TSA has sniffed all your dirty underwear that was packed with the tank.

Oh, for your information, I got through custom in mexico REALLY fast when I packed my dirty clothes together with my dive gears!! One look, and the girl waved me through.

Pad your regs with your dirty underwear. They love that!

I travel with an aluminum 19 in my checked bag. You will have to remove the valve and on this last trip my bag got thrown around so bad the threads got damaged on my valve. I pit it inside 2 socks and inside my hood too. Next time I plan to put electrical tape over all the threads on the valve in several layers, than pack in a padded mask bag with some socks or something.

Oh and I never got a TSA slip in the bag with the tank but I did in the one with dirty cloths, go figure.

I have traveled many times with a 13 cu ft pony checked, tank empty, valve inplace but loose. No damage, no problemo ( so far).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom