Pony bottle travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 19 cf aluminum pony. Do I need to remove the valve? Should I pack it in my checked bag? Can I take it in my carry on bag?

Yes. Remove valve...carry it on.

Yes, empty and remove the valve.
I just put a sandwich bag over the opening with an elastic band for ease of inspection.
I prefer both the weight of the tank, the valve and reg sets in a carryon bag as well as the ability to 'splain to the grumpy airport security bag checker that it's a harmless empty container...
Most catch on quick. I have no experience putting one in a checked bag but the valve still needs to be removed.
Underwater is no place to be without breathing gas for any length of time in my opinion.
Have fun!

When I took my 19 to Cozumel, I put the valveless cylinder in my checked bag with a big zip lock (over the end) and the TSA regs rubber-banded to it. No problems.

I was concerned that it might be interpreted as a "bludgeon" if brought in my carry on an confiscated. Also it was lower priority than other items for the must-arrive with me cut. [Family went to HI on Christmas day one time. Due to flight chaos NONE of our checked bags arrived. Not much is open on Xmas day. Hotel gift shop or nothing. Lesson learned.]

I remove the valve and cover the opening with scotch tape, but I have always put mine in checked luggage.

Small Compressed Gas Cartridges | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov)

upload_2021-1-9_8-38-32.png

I enclose a copy around the cylinder if I check it, I carry a copy with me to show TSA, if needed if it is in carry on. I have never had a problem. I use the sandwich bag with a rubber band around the neck.

Covering the cylinder opening with a plastic bag or tape? Do none of you have one of these or the many like them? One should have come in your tank from the factory. I have quite a few of these set aside from past tank purchases.

View attachment 635134

DGX Threaded Dust Plug for Cylinders, Plastic
Hi @JimBlay

Have you used these in checked bags and know that the TSA will unscrew the plug for inspection? I would be confident that they would work for carry on. I like the plugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom