Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd just like to add 2 new thoughts to this thread.

1) My wife and I dove for a week from a liveaboard in the Bahamas and were seated next to a guy who was very proud of the fact that he was solo diving and in fact went around trying to convince others on the boat (some fairly green, and some with more experience) that they should too. He had a 19cf bottle tank-mounted behind him with the second-stage stowed somewhere back there (god knows what kind of contortion would be required to deploy it). The entire week that tank was pressurized (I know because he would bump the second stage on the boat and it would purge), and I never once saw him check the pressure on it. If it was in-fact leaking underwater, I don't see how he would know about it. Imagine that thing leaking all dive long and then when you really need it and go to use it....

Equipment is only as good as our skill in using it.

2) As LGDiver has pointed out earlier, bottles can contain lots of different mixes. Building the habit of reaching for and deploying the nearest reg and shoving it in your mouth can easily get you killed as you move into more advanced diving. Even if you counter that you will never ever ever conceivably move into using more O2-rich mixtures, you can never be sure of the "instabuddies" you dive with. I don't ever put one of my regs in my mouth without checking the MOD first (and have somebody i trust check it also); I sure as hell don't want one of yours unless you've already been breathing it. This is part of the reason why (IMHO) slung and (especially) tank-mounted bottles should be pressurized but shut-off.

... so ....

3) So if you see the logic in shutting down the valves on the slung or mounted bottles, then if you need to deploy a pony, you're going to have to reach down (or back there) and turn it on. And the deploy the hose. (And check your MOD). By the way, you're out of gas, so this is happening under stress.

Me? I'll take a squared away buddy over this anyday. But to each their own.

1) My wife and I dove for a week from a liveaboard in the Bahamas and were seated next to a guy who was very proud of the fact that he was solo diving and in fact went around trying to convince others on the boat (some fairly green, and some with more experience) that they should too. He had a 19cf bottle tank-mounted behind him with the second-stage stowed somewhere back there (god knows what kind of contortion would be required to deploy it). The entire week that tank was pressurized (I know because he would bump the second stage on the boat and it would purge), and I never once saw him check the pressure on it. If it was in-fact leaking underwater, I don't see how he would know about it. Imagine that thing leaking all dive long and then when you really need it and go to use it....

And your pet name for him was the boat jerk? :shakehead:

I do tend to be a same ocean diver as my camera distracts me. I ask my buddies to stick close to me and thump me if they need my attention, but just grab either available second stage if they need air - I'll understand. My pony is slung on the left, always on in the water, where I can see the Spg and reach the valve easily just in case of a screw up in the always on aspect - filled with air. If the right side second stage is grabed, they'll get whatever backgas I am using, I'll switch to the pony, and we'll start our slow ascent with stops.

I know that some keep their ponies charged then turned off in the water, but I want mine ready.

And I know some donate the reg in their mouth, but I caution buds to not grab that one. I use a Manta mouthpiece and it is not coming out.

home.jpg

Does that whole thing go in your mouth?

I read the course requirement for the local "solo" diver specialty course. You're required to have either a ponly, or "spare air". I guess if spare air is enough for the "solo" specialty course, it must be good for something?

Does that whole thing go in your mouth?
Yep, the wings bend back, then press gently against the inside of your mouth. I have seen people try to insert without bending :lol2: , and I have heard of people using them without inserting the wings - which defeats the purpose.
I read the course requirement for the local "solo" diver specialty course. You're required to have either a ponly, or "spare air". I guess if spare air is enough for the "solo" specialty course, it must be good for something?
No, it means they want your money, too... :crafty:

And your pet name for him was the boat jerk? :shakehead:

I do tend to be a same ocean diver as my camera distracts me. I ask my buddies to stick close to me and thump me if they need my attention, but just grab either available second stage if they need air - I'll understand. My pony is slung on the left, always on in the water, where I can see the Spg and reach the valve easily just in case of a screw up in the always on aspect - filled with air. If the right side second stage is grabed, they'll get whatever backgas I am using, I'll switch to the pony, and we'll start our slow ascent with stops.

I know that some keep their ponies charged then turned off in the water, but I want mine ready.

And I know some donate the reg in their mouth, but I caution buds to not grab that one. I use a Manta mouthpiece and it is not coming out.

home.jpg

Crikey Don! I hope you aren't wearing DENTURES! :D

THAT'D be a big surprise! :rofl3:

Crikey Don! I hope you aren't wearing DENTURES! :D

THAT'D be a big surprise! :rofl3:
Actually, that's why I chose the Manta in the first place and caution buds to not jerk the one out of my mouth. I use a lot of denture adhesive when diving, tho - hasn't bother me.

I'd just like to add 2 new thoughts to this thread.

2) As LGDiver has pointed out earlier, bottles can contain lots of different mixes. Building the habit of reaching for and deploying the nearest reg and shoving it in your mouth can easily get you killed as you move into more advanced diving. Even if you counter that you will never ever ever conceivably move into using more O2-rich mixtures, you can never be sure of the "instabuddies" you dive with. I don't ever put one of my regs in my mouth without checking the MOD first (and have somebody i trust check it also); I sure as hell don't want one of yours unless you've already been breathing it. This is part of the reason why (IMHO) slung and (especially) tank-mounted bottles should be pressurized but shut-off.

... so ....

3) So if you see the logic in shutting down the valves on the slung or mounted bottles, then if you need to deploy a pony, you're going to have to reach down (or back there) and turn it on. And the deploy the hose. (And check your MOD). By the way, you're out of gas, so this is happening under stress.

Depends on the diving that you are doing. I would prefer to have a pony slung and turned on with the hose tucked neatly onto the bottle and the reg around your neck on all deep dives and ice dives. I would not really feel real warm and fuzzy if I had to share air with a distress buddy with both of us breathing off of one 1st stage under the ice. IF you practice deploying a pony bottle, it actually doesnt take that long.

IF you practice deploying a pony bottle, it actually doesnt take that long.
If you're going to carry either pony or spare air, practice deploying. :thumb:

And yeah, if I did ice diving, no way would I want two of us on the same first stage.

I know a few divers who own a Spare Air. They purchased the item very early in their diving, and today, not one of them uses it any more. Oh sure they carried it with them for a while, but as time went on, they did what other divers do after gaining some valuable experience. They started carrying less gear (junk) into the water with them. Eventually they gained experience, took the needed courses, and came out the other end diving long duration and deep dives into difficult environments. Now they carry stage bottles rather than pony bottles, not because they think its cool, or out of fear, but because it’s a need piece of equipment required to complete the dive.

In short, if you are interested in getting into more advanced diving, and are contemplating the purchase of a backup air supply in order move towards that goal. Don’t buy a Spare Air, buy the pony and sling it in front of you, NEVER behind you. Later when you move on to needing larger tanks to complete your dives with, you can use the pony as a drysuit inflation bottle, and avoid wasting money buying gear (junk) that ends up collecting dust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom