Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whats the main difference betweeen a small tank with a alternate reg on it and a spair air

i know the amount of air is a huge factor but why dont 6 CF tanks or even 20 CF tanks have the nozzle like on "spair air" systems?

Spare air is a proprietary system that can work decent for people staying shallower than 50-60feet, but realistically only carries a few extra breathes of air for an OOA emergency, and if you are somehow entangled, just prolongs the inevitable a few more moments.

A pony bottle is universal (as far as fittings) with standard 1st/2nd stages and fill stations (without any special adapter). A pony also has the ability to carry much more air (depending on the size) than any spare air.

The reason that larger pony bottles don't have a breathing nozzle like a spare air is that they would be hard to manage while trying breath from them and holding the bottle.

--------

I personally use one of my al40 tanks for a pony (if I carry one at all) since that is what I have. I will have plenty of air for an emergency and it just so happens to be one of my deco bottles as well, so it isn't money spent on an extra bottle just as a pony bottle. I clip it to my left side and there it stays until it is needed.

Hope this helps.

What's appropriate smilie for one who posts on a thread without reading more than post #1? :silly:

What's appropriate smilie for one who posts on a thread without reading more than post #1? :silly:

I read through the first page and nobody had answered all his questions in one place. 90% of it was people's opinions (not an answer to his question), 1% of it was parts of his questions answered and the other 9% of it was BS. I figured I wouldn't read through the other two pages of it and would answer his questions (all of them) in one post. I didn't think that one extra post in the forum would really upset the balance when I was actually trying to answer his questions.

I also could have added much more detail to the answers, but decided to give a simple and abbreviated answer so as not to upset the "words per post" gods.

:thumb: Good job, rockjock3 - I think the OP said he had his answers somewhere there, but good post anyway...

:thumb: Good job, rockjock3 - I think the OP said he had his answers somewhere there, but good post anyway...

Why, yes he did. Sounded a little sarcastic (deserved) "thanks for all the answers guess". But what do I know. I only read the post #1 (remember) and my answer must have been totally useless considering your greatness sees a reason to find issue with the fact that I made it in the first place. Sorry to have taken time out of your day to correct me and put me back on the right track. I am humbled before your greatness. Thanks you and good day.

Why, yes he did. Sounded a little sarcastic (deserved) "thanks for all the answers guess". But what do I know. I only read the post #1 (remember) and my answer must have been totally useless considering your greatness sees a reason to find issue with the fact that I made it in the first place. Sorry to have taken time out of your day to correct me and put me back on the right track. I am humbled before your greatness. Thanks you and good day.
I have got to get a bigger smile on my avatar or something.

This question/issue if one of the most commonly hashed here on SB, and I was trying to joke a bit - sorry I wasn't funny. Your post was a very good answer...

SO... what did the OP of this thread decide??

SO... what did the OP of this thread decide??
Uh, dive with good buddies and buy a gun... :lol2:
well ive decided and i dont need a pony or a spare air becasue i dive with good friends that i KNOW(from experience) i can put my life in their hands

maybe a new gun is in order though : )

Back
Top Bottom