Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travel to a dozen different airports alone, go diving on charter boats where you hope to match up with a decent diver from other singles, see what happens in the real world.

Pray tell, Don- what exactly "happens"? You didn't suddenly appear in this situation- you chose to put yourself in it. How about some accountability for your own actions, including your choice to either plan a dive with your buddy or not, and your choice to perform a particular dive or not if it doesn't look like a good pairing. Your chatter only serves to reinforce the fact that you use a pony bottle as a surrogate for common sense and good dive planning.

And before you fire off another of your ignorant anti-DIR retorts about the "only way to dive", let me point out that those of us that that espouse the DIR system of diving are the ones that have been encouraging people to think about their system and adopt whatever they think makes sense, and whatever addresses the real issues. That doesn't sound to me like saying that it's our way or nothing. Your luddite defense of your style of diving sounds more like that to me.

Pray tell, Don- what exactly "happens"? You didn't suddenly appear in this situation- you chose to put yourself in it. How about some accountability for your own actions, including your choice to either plan a dive with your buddy or not, and your choice to perform a particular dive or not if it doesn't look like a good pairing. Your chatter only serves to reinforce the fact that you use a pony bottle as a surrogate for common sense and good dive planning.

And before you fire off another of your ignorant anti-DIR retorts about the "only way to dive", let me point out that those of us that that espouse the DIR system of diving are the ones that have been encouraging people to think about their system and adopt whatever they think makes sense, and whatever addresses the real issues. That doesn't sound to me like saying that it's our way or nothing. Your luddite defense of your style of diving sounds more like that to me.
Ok, I took the "adopt whatever they think makes sense" approach that works for someone who lives a minimum of 2 flights from good diving. :pilot:

I just want one like James Bond had in Thunderball.
974030679_265123bfd4_o.jpg

rebreather.jpg
dadbreather.jpg

and even 'dis 007 got one in "Die Another Day"

...which this thread can do anytime now. :)

Good day Don,

Did you read the thread, or just jump in...?
I've followed this thread on and off since the very beginning. Please forgive me as I am not inclined to re-read 11 pages worth of content.

My reply that you seem to be objecting to is that I am characterizing the other person's dive habits as solo diving. Is my understanding of the difference between solo diving and buddy diving incorrect?

Did you look? Reg problems are hight on the list, aren't they?

I guess it depends on what you mean when you say "high on the list". The following is a copy and paste from the DAN website. It is a summary from 2006 dive fatality initial triggering events (Note: The picture painted by the 2007 report and the 2005 report is not that dissimilar, however, neither report presents the data in as tidy a fashion):

DAN website:
The initial triggering event that began the sequence leading to death was most often

insufficient gas (14 percent),
rough seas and strong current (10 percent)
heart disease (9 percent),
entrapment (9 percent)
equipment problems (8 percent). The equipment problems may have been procedural or hardware related.

They have a slightly more detailed breakdown in the report itself. In the breakdown, they say:
DAN website:
Equipment problems (7 cases). The true incidence of equipment failure is uncertain because equipment was tested in only 35 cases, and test results were available only for 15. Equipment was not retrieved in six cases, and in 47 cases, there was no record of equipment testing. One or more equipment problems were documented in seven cases.
  • Five divers had BC problems.
  • Three divers appeared to have made errors using their equipment.
  • Two divers could not inflate their BCs because of malfunction. Both sank to the bottom and drowned.
  • One diver drowned due to inhalation of water from a missing diaphragm seal on his regulator.
  • One diver using surface-supplied air had a knot in the supply hose that may have contributed to his death by reducing air flow.

Setting aside the fatalities for which there is no conclusive data that points to equipment issues, can you point to one incident here that you can honestly say would have been avoided with a pony bottle? I did a quick scan in the reports and I did not see "pony bottle" as a recommendation for increasing your safety. They did mention buddy diving and following proper procedures several times.

Each person can read these reports and come away with a different lesson. The number 1 lesson I take away from it is that running out of gas is bad. Very bad. So I do pretty careful gas planning as part of my dives. And I keep track of my gas. And in case that I have equipment failure, I count on my buddy (just like they taught me in open water) to have my emergency gas. And because I might need that emergency gas, I keep my buddy close - not on the other side of the reef.

Travel to a dozen different airports alone, go diving on charter boats where you hope to match up with a decent diver from other singles, see what happens in the real world.

First of all, no one forces anyone to travel and dive with people that cannot be trusted to be competent buddies. People make that choice. I personally choose to be picky on the trips that I go on. That is my choice. If I were to go somewhere where I did not know of a competent buddy, I would be very picky in selecting my instabuddy. I would start of on an easy shallow reef dive and work my way from there.

There are choices. People make different ones for different reasons. But to say that this is the "only" thing you can do is not really accurate.

This is not a forum for "the one and only way to dive." I think we have one, tho...
I'm not saying there is only one way to dive. What I am saying is that people should recognize when their dive habits more closely mimic those of solo divers. If they do, they should get not only the right equipment but perhaps the right training.

And if you ask me, going to locations and doing the insta-buddy thing is more like solo diving than buddy diving. But hey, that is just my opinion.

LG....keep the mud on the ground, instead of thowing it around. You sound like you want a parade or something.

What Don is saying, and I agree, is that we can only control ourselves on a dive. We are accountable and responsible ultimately to ourselves. So, when I go diving and the group expands suddenly to include visiting divers, I not only take care of myself, but plan contingincies for the visitors. In essence, I become like a dive master, and I plan the dive/my dive accordingly. This sometimes includes bringing more air than required.

As far as instabuddies, i have enough experience in the water to accept any one as a buddy, but as to the quality of my dive(after spending thousands just to be on a boat) i think is the issue here. Do I want to babysit someone, or do I want an equally qualified partner???

Ok, I took the "adopt whatever they think makes sense" approach that works for someone who lives a minimum of 2 flights from good diving. :pilot:

Well, I have never been diving with LG Diver but I have been in the same dive sites at the same time.

Personally, I think the diving here in Northern California is spectacular.

Edit: For those of you who don't know what the diving is like here in Northern California (well, actually, it is more like Central California), my friend Allison has a great blog filled with beautiful pictures taken by her husband Rob. See: Cold Water Kitty

Well, I have never been diving with LG Diver but I have been in the same dive sites at the same time.

Personally, I think the diving here in Northern California is spectacular.
Cool. I've thot about doing them, but there is no way I can get any diver I know here to do there - much less one I know and trust as a good buddy. For me to dive, I have to be prepared to dive as solo even when I get the best I can on boarding - which would be true there. I don't have the luxury of diving locally only with divers I know well that some of you have.

Cool. I've thot about doing them, but there is no way I can get any diver I know here to do there - much less one I know and trust as a good buddy. For me to dive, I have to be prepared to dive as solo even when I get the best I can on boarding - which would be true there. I don't have the luxury of diving locally only with divers I know well that some of you have.

That's why it is good to join the "dark" side. And as chickdiver would say, we have cookies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom