Pony bottle valve, Pro vs DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One reason is so you can use a yoke regulator on the tank,

Here is 2 that I have done,
Even had to drill the dimple in the back.
20220129_152018.jpg

I'm buying a 40CF pony but it needs a valve. I know pro valves use fewer threads than DIN only valves. More threads are only required for really high pressures. All my equipment is DIN but I've heard you wont be able to get a fill unless the store has a DIN whip. Locally thats not a problem but worries me if I went to Tobermory for example. Does more threads have any benefits on a 3000PSI aluminum or should I stick with pro? Also not sure which valve to get, thinking thermo but advice is appreciated, thanks!
I suppose that "pro" means DIN-232 bar and "DIN" means DIN-300 bar.
I think it is a very bad idea to mount a DIN-300 bar valve on a tank not rated for 300 bar. It is dangerous, there ia a serious risk that the tank is over-filled!
The valves are different exactly for avoiding this risk.
Depending on where you live, installing a 300-bar valve on a tank not rated for such a pressure could even be a crime!
Finally also consider that a DIN-232 bars valve can also be used with a yoke reg (or can be filled with a compressor equipped with yoke connectors). So it is much more versatile...

I think it is a very bad idea to mount a DIN-300 bar valve on a tank not rated for 300 bar. It is dangerous, there ia a serious risk that the tank is over-filled!
Depending on where you live, installing a 300-bar valve on a tank not rated for such a pressure could even be a crime!
Finally also consider that a DIN-232 bars valve can also be used with a yoke reg (or can be filled with a compressor equipped with yoke connectors). So it is much more versatile...

It probably doesn't help to have a different vavle, but I've never known anyone to fill based off vavles, they go off what's stamped on the tank... right?

Plus a 300bar filler end could "accidentally "
Be hooked up to a 200bar valve,... so I don't see the point...
Go by the tank,
unfortunately the fill jockey, can be very inexperience... and mistakes can happen no matter what.

By DIN I meant this. Comes in either 3000 or 3442 PSI. It is DIN exclusive with the extra threads, can't use a yoke insert adapter.

Comes in either 3000 or 3442 PSI. It is DIN exclusive with the extra threads, can't use a yoke insert adapter.
Exactly.

The Thermo DIN valve is rated at 3442 PSI maximum, so it is NOT a true DIN-300 valve, as the ones we employ here in Europe. What's the point to use a DIN-300 attachment when neither the tank, nor the valve, withstand this pressure?
Furthermore, it is not rated for Nitrox !!! Air-only...
So I do not see any advantage of mounting this valve on a tank which cannot be filled at high pressure (300 bar). The normal DIN-232 valve has just benefits over it:

unfortunately the fill jockey, can be very inexperience... and mistakes can happen no matter what.
Exactly: a valve of the "wrong" type can be misleading for the fill monkey.
I see from the picture that the max pressure is also stamped over the valve, and that this Thermo valve actually is NOT rated for 300 bars, as it is stamped as 3442 PSI. If the label is readable, this should avoid the error. "should"....

Exactly.

The Thermo DIN valve is rated at 3442 PSI maximum, so it is NOT a true DIN-300 valve, as the ones we employ here in Europe. What's the point to use a DIN-300 attachment when neither the tank, nor the valve, withstand this pressure?
Ya that was my point. Eliminates the risk of a fill guy/gal overfilling the tank because the valve says a higher pressure then what its actually rated for. I am really surprised the valve isn't rated for premixed nitrox... I would presume the internals between DIN and pro would be identical. Is there any explanation for the air only?

Back
Top Bottom