Pony bottle valve, Pro vs DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KlixTrio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm buying a 40CF pony but it needs a valve. I know pro valves use fewer threads than DIN only valves. More threads are only required for really high pressures. All my equipment is DIN but I've heard you wont be able to get a fill unless the store has a DIN whip. Locally thats not a problem but worries me if I went to Tobermory for example. Does more threads have any benefits on a 3000PSI aluminum or should I stick with pro? Also not sure which valve to get, thinking thermo but advice is appreciated, thanks!

A pro valve on an Al40 is just fine. It gives you all the flexibility you may need, with essentially no drawbacks. I have had pro valves on all my tanks (Al80s and and Al40, and two HP119s), and never had any problems. And most shops have DIN whips anyway, or an adapter. I never had to screw in the insert to get a fill. Only to go diving with friends who don’t have heir own tanks and only yoke regs.

I've heard you wont be able to get a fill unless the store has a DIN whip.
Not true... A yoke adapter can be used on a yoke whip and can fill 3442 tanks, so a 3000 psi fill is no trouble.... If a shop has only yoke whips and no adapter, they are "strange"...

On a yoke whip, either screw in a plug or use one of these...
upload_2021-9-7_21-16-27.png

A pro valve on an Al40 is just fine. It gives you all the flexibility you may need, with essentially no drawbacks. I have had pro valves on all my tanks (Al80s and and Al40, and two HP119s), and never had any problems. And most shops have DIN whips anyway, or an adapter. I never had to screw in the insert to get a fill. Only to go diving with friends who don’t have heir own tanks and only yoke regs.
Sounds like pro it is then. I thought there might be other differences I didn't think about. Guess I'm over thinking lol.

Not true... A yoke adapter can be used on a yoke whip and can fill 3442 tanks, so a 3000 psi fill is no trouble.... If a shop has only yoke whips and no adapter, they are "strange"...

I've seen that before at shops and never knew what it was. Learned something new. Thanks.

I'm buying a 40CF pony but it needs a valve. I know pro valves use fewer threads than DIN only valves. More threads are only required for really high pressures. All my equipment is DIN but I've heard you wont be able to get a fill unless the store has a DIN whip. Locally thats not a problem but worries me if I went to Tobermory for example. Does more threads have any benefits on a 3000PSI aluminum or should I stick with pro? Also not sure which valve to get, thinking thermo but advice is appreciated, thanks!
Go pro, the only advantage of having a full size 300DIN valve is - you get some more time looking at the beautiful nature in Toby while screwing the regulator in. But you might as well spend more time diving :) I never had issues filling any sort of tanks in Toby, 300 Bar 200 bar/pro or yoke. Good thinking taking a pony there. Arabia can be a pretty challenging dive and claimed quite some lives.

Thermos are easy to get parts for, Halcyons are only 300 IIRC, Dive rites are also great. Get the valve with a rubber knob. They handle impact better if you drop your pony by accident

My preferred valve for "pony" tanks:

upload_2021-9-7_21-28-43.png

you get some more time looking at the beautiful nature in Toby while screwing the regulator in.

Lol! Yeah looking forward to diving with a pony for peace of mind. My local diving is deep, cold, low viz and dark, its gonna be a good feeling knowing you have redundancy and dont have to rely on a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom