Pony bottle and travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa:
I use a plastic baggie too, but I always find it off. The inspector probably removed it to look inside and never bothers to replace it.

Same here. I guess it really does deserve a close inspection by TSA to make sure it is empty. The way I read there website, using the shipping plug to seal the tank could result in it being confiscated. I guess if you can build a ship in a bottle, a terrorist could build a bomb or other device in a bottle and trigger it with the plug removal.

Jet -- are these clear plugs sold somewhere? I don't recall ever seeing one.
I do the 2-1/2 gallon baggie, held on with a piece of bungie.

markfm:
Jet -- are these clear plugs sold somewhere? I don't recall ever seeing one.
I do the 2-1/2 gallon baggie, held on with a piece of bungie.

He is referring to the plugs that come with the tanks before the valve is installed. I've never seen them for sale but if you hit your LDS after a tank shipment you may be able to score a handful.

I have read the TSA regs....and they say you can carry it on. But, every TSA rep I talk to at every airport....and I have logged over 150,000 flight miles this year....tells me to put it in check in luggage or it aint going.

Checked is simple enough -- I couldn't see trying to do it as carry on.

If you check it in, does it have to be empty. Do they check the bags that go into bagage compartment?
Stas

Yes, empty, valve removed. That's what the baggie and piece of bungie are for, to cover the opening while still leaving it clear, obvious there's nothing in it.
When you bleed it for travel, before removing the valve, do it slowly, to avoid icing/condensation.

Went to Kona 9 months ago and carried an AL13 on the plane with a plastic
plug in the orifice. No problem with TSA (yes, they looked at it VERY closely).

Dive shop did not charge me a viz to put my valve and bottle back
together on the Big Island.

Having said all this; it was a pain. In future I'd consider leaving my pony
behind and re-arranging my first stage to provide a normal octopus.

Alm....help me out here. Why did a shop have to put it back together? When I travel with mine I take the valve out....an easy screw out....screw back in.

I also take it off the $100 ponease bottle mount in case TSA wants to be a d*** and confiscate it....at least I have my mount.

But I am confused why you have a shop do it. (Really not pickin on ya....have you got a complicated rig?)

RichinNC- It has been my understanding that any time a bottle is opened (valve removed), technically it should be visualed before putting the valve back on. Some individuals are qualified to do their own visuals, but most of us have to rely on a shop. I don't travel with my pony for this and other reasons.

Hmmm... maybe I should start a new company, Pony Express, to transport pony bottles to divers traveling to remote locations! Of course I'll hand carry them, (and charge accordingly) so I can dive there, too.

Back
Top Bottom