Pony attachments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same set up as Tanked 2.0, 30cuft pony with the Super pony tamer. Works great, can barely even tell it's back there when I'm swimming around. I got a complete seperate set for the pony. I'll never dive without it now. :wink:

Tanked2.0:
Slinging may work for some, but I prefer mounting my pony to my main tank. I use a 30cf and attach it with the super pony tamer. It doesn't slip, or roll aroung back there.

Right, but how would you address the issues I mentioned earlier? Ultimatly it's up to personal preference (some people even prefer to use an H valve instead) but the potential issues still remain.

The Zeagle pony bands are the simplest, most effective, and among the more inexpensive mounts out there. They simply work and work great.

Ive got a metal quick release bracket attached to my cam strap for mine. Works nicely, slot pony in before dive and thats it. Im not a fan of side slinging a pony like a stage for normal dives especially with other kit like reels, DSMBs, torches,cameras already clipped off to the side/front.

So at this point no one is using the quick draw pony bracket?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Tanks.asp

I have never slinged a tank since I am new, but I like the idea of being able to have full control over it and if needed to hand it off to someone in need instead of having someone in a possible panic hanging all over me for my octo.

Keep the ideas coming and pictures to if you have them slung.

mstudley:
Keep your existing reg setup the same, buy a new 1'st/2'nd stage setup for the pony and set it up as a stage (slung) instead of mounting it on your tank (where you can't hand it off to another diver, check for leaks, manipulate the valve, check tank pressure, etc).

I would go for something slightly larger than a 13cf bottle as well. AL19's are nice and the same diameter as a 13 (albeit longer and a bit heavier on land).

I USE a 40cf

Ron

I use the Quick Draw, entirely happy with it. It's well made, solid when the lock pin is in. I did a week of boat diving, back rolls all, no issues with the QD being loose/slipping/flopping.

As to not being able to control the valve, mount the bottle upside down. It's not difficult, works fine. I'm set up that way. I sweep my right hand back and the valve is immediately in front of the hose -- pretty intuitive. Of course, I normally dive with it on -- the idea is to have it ready when needed; I'd only dive with it off if there was a leak issue that couldn't be immediately corrected.

I went 19CF, based on my consumption rate, profiles. I wanted something that could get me up from the depths I dive, with safety stop, with margin. A fully charged 19 is, in effect, a quarter tank (equivalent to having 750psi in an AL80).

Its all a preference. A 13cf is small and easily slung. I'de get a whole another 1st and 2cnd stage. Octo. You dont usually give your pony up for a buddy air emergency you may still want to use your octo for your buddy.

mstudley:
Keep your existing reg setup the same, buy a new 1'st/2'nd stage setup for the pony and set it up as a stage (slung) instead of mounting it on your tank (where you can't hand it off to another diver, check for leaks, manipulate the valve, check tank pressure, etc).
QUOTE]
Well as for leaks, I can't check my main tank so I don't see a problem with another back there that I can't see. Valves I can reach just fine as long as you connect the mounts right and not too low, tank pressure is the only thing I can't check. As for handing it off, the pony bottle is for me, myself and I in case "I" run out of air, not my buddy. If for some reason I need to hand the pony off to a buddy, after giving him the reg he can simply swim behind me, pull the cotter pin, take the bottle and off he goes.

Back
Top Bottom