Pony attachments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked2.0:
Do you really want to give an out of air, panicking diver a tank that might give him only 10 breaths?

As for being able to hand the pony bottle off, I really don't see the point. If another diver is out of air I'm giving him my primary reg, not my pony.

Depends on how perverted you are. :cool:

I donate my primary because it's attached to me.

Anybody who runs out of air can't be trusted with another smaller tank and needs to get an immediate slow ride back to the surface.

Terry

gtcpl2:
Ok, I am new and thinking about getting a 13cf pony bottle. My question is which mounting system do you use? The hose clamps or the quick draw pony bracket?

Also my LDS says to take the octo off your main reg, buy a new first stage and attach the octo to that one with the pony. Do you recommend this? or should you keep your main regs and octo on your main tank and buy a new first and second stage for the pony?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Tanks.asp

http://www.reefscuba.com/bracket.htm

Thanks for the info

I personally like a first rate reg on my pony. I dive with a 19cf. pony on a regular basis mainly because I run a charter and do not Know the divers I am with. Wether you sling it or mount it is dependent on your dive intentions. Wreck penetrations sometimes require moving gear that is impeading movement hence slinging the pony, open water diving you can get by mounting it on your tank. Zeagle makes some great straps for this application. Generally I veiw my pony as an assist for another diver so I also have a swivel 1st stage such as a Zeagle 50D. Very good question you posed just read all and be flexible in deciding whats best for you.

MichaelBaranows:
I heard that Zeagle has a new strap that is velco if I remember correctly for pony tanks.
The Zeagle straps are fantastic if you intend to mount it to your tank. Buckle with velcro which is very secure!!!!

scott&sara:
The bracket that I found to be the best (and easy to switch tanks as it attaches to your BC strap) is found at http://www.ponybottlebracket.com/
I have one of these too. I like it for what I use it for, carrying a redundant supply of air for me.

The Natural:
Well as for leaks, I can't check my main tank so I don't see a problem with another back there that I can't see. Valves I can reach just fine as long as you connect the mounts right and not too low, tank pressure is the only thing I can't check. As for handing it off, the pony bottle is for me, myself and I in case "I" run out of air, not my buddy. If for some reason I need to hand the pony off to a buddy, after giving him the reg he can simply swim behind me, pull the cotter pin, take the bottle and off he goes.
These reasons apply to me too.

As for a Spare Air, well, I'd let my kid use one in a swimming pool for fun, but as far as taking one on a dive, I don't think so.

Reserving my comments about pony bottles, I will give 2 peaces of advice:

- Get a Luxifer AL40, preferably shot blast, no coat, clear coat, yellow or white (in that order)
It will have resale value if you ever decide you dont want a pony anymore. It will remain useful if you decide to do more advanced diving. Technical divers will jump at these. Its big enough to actually get you out of a problem, and then do the deco you likely acquired while solving the problem. Mark it correctly while your at it, stick the MOD on the side.

- Sling it.
Stage kids are inexpensive and easy to use. A complete stage kit will cost less than $30 of the internet and can be done homemade for about 1/2 that. Your building skills that will help you later if you decided to move on to more advanced diving. Its out of the way. It is easy to: manage under water, cut away if you get entangled, and *shudder* even hand off if your so inclined.

gtcpl2:
Also my LDS says to take the octo off your main reg, buy a new first stage and attach the octo to that one with the pony. Do you recommend this? or should you keep your main regs and octo on your main tank and buy a new first and second stage for the pony?

Suppose you did this, handed off the pony. How safe would you feel if that was you?

Your holding a tank with bairly enough gas to get you out of the water. With every breath you watch the gauge noticeably descend... and your "buddy" doesn't have an octo. You get up and start your safety stop and you feel the reg turn into a straw, then.. nothing.

Granted your at your safety stop, but following your PADI emergency response, its time to bolt (buddy breathing being under ESA for some reason). Are you going to remember to exhale?

Bet your life on it?

Bet your best friends?

Hows about your wife or kid?

Buy a second, high (primary) quality, first and second stage.

If someone's OOA, they get my primary -- the pony is for me. I'm in the non-freaked state, know my consumption rate, that I can do a safe ascent with it, including an extra minute at 10 meters if it's been a deep dive.

I carry a pony on most dives, especially when i don't know my buddy well or are going hunting. I sling it most of the time for Wrecks or deep dives, and mount it to my tank for lobstering and hunting where I need more room in front of me. I like the sling for ease of inspection of the rig, and to be able to shift it around to get in and out of tight spaces.

I sling with a Dive Rite stage bottle sling and mount it with a Quick Draw Bracket when tank mounting. Both are Great. I have trieD three different mounting brackets and the Quick Draw is the best by far. It works fine on 8" tanks. It is fast, convenient and sturdy. It is THE winner as far as brackets go.

LJ

Well I appreciate all the info. So far I got my second set of regs and now all thats left is the tank and mount. I think I will try mounting it both ways and see what I like best. I think I am also going to go with a 19 cubic ft tank too.

One last question!! on the pony do you have both second stages, main and octo or just the main?

On a pony just a first and single second stage. No need for the octo. I also have a pony guage mounted on mine. I use a sherwood brut. Rugged, reliable, and inexpensive. As for carrying I sling most of the time (19 cu ft) but use bracket and spare cam band when I'm diving dry(pony on one side, argon on the other) or doing some thing where I would need the extra room up front. When it is mounted to the tank I also mount it upside down to make it easier to get to the valve. And like others have said it's for me buddy gets octo(oceanic swivel octo).

Back
Top Bottom