Ponies on a Plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just flew to Hawaii and I had my 13 cubic foot cylinder in my checked bag of dive gear with one piece of clear tape over the opening because I removed the valve and stuck it in a clear plastic bag (ziplock freezer heavy duty version). It arrived on the island and at home on the return flight.

I've never had a problem with my 19 cu ft pony taken in my carry on with tape over the opening.

Good diving, Craig

I just flew to Belize and back and had my AL19, with a clear plastic bag over the opening, in my checked dive bag. The bag arrived at Belize and at home apparently without a TSA inspection (TSA lock didn't have the indicator showing and there was no note left in the bag). Who knows these days what would have happened if they decided to open the bag.

valve must be off and the tank's opening open to the atmosphere, no plugs or tape etc.
Yeah, you can read that into the TSA rules and you see that posted often by a member here who does not carry one, but - for those of us who do carry one, in the real world - who would leave the tank opening uncovered then use it? :silly:
I have always taped the opening and never had a problem. But, with TSA, it all depends on who you get.
Yep, until Spare Air company lobbied the TSA into publishing some rules, it was all unofficial and I never bothered to remove the valve. After they published the rules, I started removing the valve and taping over it - each end of the tape doubled back for super easy removal. As I am departing Lubbock, where TSA inspections are done in front of the ticket counter, I stand and watch my bags inspected. They always pull up one end, look inside, and put it back.

Elsewhere, where I cannot see what happens in inspections, I can only guess that they may look inside, but they always put the tape back.
I just flew to Hawaii and I had my 13 cubic foot cylinder in my checked bag of dive gear with one piece of clear tape over the opening because I removed the valve and stuck it in a clear plastic bag (ziplock freezer heavy duty version). It arrived on the island and at home on the return flight.
Anyone know of any factual information of anyone having a problem with tape over the hole...?

In November of 2009 I made over 24k miles on a single trip around the world on various airlines (US Airways, Asiana, Air China, Thai, and Lufthansa) and various airports (Charlotte, Beijing, Phuket) checking the luggage with 19cf pony and complete dive gear in it.

I used the cap that prevents dust but it is not sealed to the atmosphere and there was no problem at all. My bags were not opened a single time.

Back
Top Bottom