Ponies on a Plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone checked a pony bottle with there luggage on a plane lately, It’s been a while for me.

I have never had a problem but I have heard of others having problems with it.

Any suggestions?

valve must be off and the tank's opening open to the atmosphere, no plugs or tape etc.

TSA and foreign screeners hassle batteries randomly to no end, moreso than little tanks

How disappointing! I thought you were announcing a sequel to "Snakes on a Plane". I really enjoy Samuel Jackson.

theskull

I read both of those articles and don't see anywhere where clear packing tape is allowed? Would probably be OK but you never know.

I have travelled with a pony in a clear plastic bag with no issues, however not for a year so...

The plastic bag seals out luggage lint and allows easy viewing - the end is not sealed in any way so is in compliance. I can see an inspector saying I am not removing the tape so it is not allowed through - even if the tape is clear. You are not there if it is checked baggage so no pony arrives.

I have always taped the opening and never had a problem. But, with TSA, it all depends on who you get.

I read both of those articles and don't see anywhere where clear packing tape is allowed? Would probably be OK but you never know.

I have travelled with a pony in a clear plastic bag with no issues, however not for a year so...

The plastic bag seals out luggage lint and allows easy viewing - the end is not sealed in any way so is in compliance. I can see an inspector saying I am not removing the tape so it is not allowed through - even if the tape is clear. You are not there if it is checked baggage so no pony arrives.

I don't see an issue with the tape, but I see your point and how an inspector might not remove the tape.

a large clear plastic bag that you suggest is a good alternative and good suggestion.

Maybe the TSA will yell 'get these mother f*^%*^g ponies, off this mother f&^%*&g plane!'

I have had two conversations with TSA HQ and several with airport TSA Customer Reps.

The bottom line is this....it doesn't amount to a hill of beans what is on the TSA site, because, any TSA agent can change any written rule on the spot if they think it will make a flight safer. I was told that twice, by two different HQ reps.

And, every airport TSA Customer Rep has told me, they don't care what it says on the site, no pony bottle will ever go carry on in their airport. They must be checked or will be confiscated.

That has been MY personal experience. Others may vary, however, I check my pony every time and I have had no problems with it showing up at the other end yet.

Your call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom