Poll: What is your favorite way to carry lead when using a BP/W?

What is your favorite way to carry lead when using a BP/W?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is an example of how I mount the weights on my backplate.

I might get an p weight on the future when my club is going to order some nre weights,

But for now, this suits me well

PXL_20201010_192143961.jpg

Pockets at both the waist and shoulders and lead in small increments, 1 lb., are key to me for trimming out easily, allowing an easy shift of weights as needed for that dive/gear.

Weight belt as the primary ditchable and so I can remove and deal with the rig underwater if needed.

I dislike cam bands as they move the center of mass rearward more.

Plate top edge 2 lb.: 1x 1 lb. ingots zip-tied and taped
Plate p-weight 3 lb.: 3x 1 lb. ingots taped into a bar and zip-tied
Trim pockets on shoulders 0-2 lb.: Sub-Gravity. 1 lb. flat slotted type
Weight belt with pockets ~8-12 lb.: several of them 1 lb. the rest 2 or 3 lb.
Quick-release hip on some rigs: Halcyon

Impressive..... and even more impressive that you dive cold water in BC. I’m impressed even more. How do you do that?

Hi Doc,

I wear a custom tailored DUI 200 Series dry-suit. the suit fits very well/no wrinkles/creases/overbulk/low loft two piece undergarment/socks/DUI over-boots.

I dive with with OMS 60 pound lift Ocean wing, OMS IQ pack harness, OMS stainless steel BP.

My fins are OMS Slipstream.

Tanks, I have two sets of HP Double 80's, recently replaced galvanized Worthington's for new galvanized Faber's, OMS bands, Thermo manifolds.

Depending on depth, I go no further than 150', I sling either one or two 3AL40's, all my reg sets are Poseidon Jetstreams.

It's not polite to ask a ladies' weight, but there's no ''over-bulk'' there either.

No additional ''ballast'' required. As I mentioned, I own no lead.

Everything dials in perfectly.

Once we're out of the pandemic, I'm going to seriously take a second look at a rebreather, and ballast wise, my needs may change slightly. I have attended several rebreather clinics in the past, and if I make it happen, the Vobster RED BARE will likely be my choice, I liked it a lot! The basis for the RED BARE is what was formerly known as the Sentinel.

Rose.

Those up there are lead sheets in a pouch being prepared for The Magnificent Freedom Plate

A different system for every system

Lead 2 pounds ish per sheet

full.jpg

Breathing Underwater Machine BUM harness lead sheets

full.jpg

BUM sidemount chestmount rebreather harness with or without wing

full.jpg

I only use jacket bcs with a hollow bakpak or install one

full.jpg

So I can fill them with lead because I love lead

full.jpg

On my back unobtrusively