Poll: What is your favorite way to carry lead when using a BP/W?

What is your favorite way to carry lead when using a BP/W?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the DUI weight harness with quick release pockets.

Quick release pockets on the harness.

Weight belts for me always bruise and shift around way too much for me to ever want to switch back to them

Any body familiar with Dive Rite’s Quick Release 10# belt weight pockets? 20 lb QR Weight Pocket Set
I’ve not seen them, but they look like a classic design with an incorporated decent quick release and can be worn both vertically or horizontally. What do you think?

When diving dry, I just started using the Techline long trim pockets that mount on the pair of cam straps weaced theiugh my plate.

They come as a pair and each has 3 sections separated by velcro tabs which can be opened make the sectuons bigger depending on the dimensions of the weights one is using.

Each of the two pockets is designed to hold upto 3x 2kg bricks for a total of 12kg mounted securely against the backplate and along side one's tank.

The only drawback is the weight is not easily jettisonable by oneself due to its location, but it is a convenient way to mount/configure ballast close to ones center of mass.

The pockets are easy to remove when not in use by sliding them off the camstraps, or one can just leave them in place as they are fairly unobtrusive along side the tank and slid against the plate.

I also have a pair of Dive Rite QB weight pockets mounted as far back as possible on my harness waist strap...these are handy when diving wet and I only need a couple of kilos of leads.

In the past I have resorted to using zipties to hold lead blocks on the plate...it certainly worked but the Techline long pockets work as a better solution.

-Z

Any body familiar with Dive Rite’s Quick Release 10# belt weight pockets? 20 lb QR Weight Pocket Set
I’ve not seen them, but they look like a classic design with an incorporated decent quick release and can be worn both vertically or horizontally. What do you think?
I have a pair of the old 8# models. They seem decently made; I haven't had them in the water yet. I have the impression that wearing them horizontally would position the weight too far forward. There's some tradeoff with ease of access to the QR handles. Tucked right back against the backplate as @Zef mentions, it's a bit of a task to reach an pull them, at least on land.

Mine are the 16lb QR weight pockets (8lbs per side)....I spoke with Dive Rite not too long ago after noting they discontinued the 16lb QR and started marketing the 20lb ones...I was told the outer pocker/holster is the same between the 16lb and the 20lb models, so one can purchase the 10lb capacity inserts to "upgrade" if one desires the new capacity of the system.

I bought my 16lb set new a few years ago, but recently picked up a couple sets on the cheap off ebay for my wife and one of my daughters. It is interesting the slight design changes that were made over the years....the 2 sets that I bought are in perfect shape but they are a slightly older version than I bought....they work great though and my wife and daughter like them.

The Dive Rite QB pockets can be mounted vertically or horizontally. They have a metal tri-glide built in to facilitate fixing the position on your waist strap when mounted horizontally, and I use a plastic tri-glide to fix the position of the pocket when mounted vertically on my harness waist strap.

With my QB pockets all the way back on my waist strap against the plate, it is a pain to get the pockets in to the holsters but I have no problems getting them out...typically I load the pockets in the holsters before donning my rig. My wife's shoulders are not as flexible as mine so we mounted her pockets vertically a few inches forward more in line with the center-line on the sides of her body...she can reach them comfortably.

There is no problem with mounting the pockets horizontally except, like similar pockets, they take up a lot of real-estate when mounted that way...I prefer them vertically but the holsters do have large D-rings mounted on them so if one does mount them horizontally and it displaces the waist strap D-ring(s) all is not lost because they will be present on the pocket holsters.

Here is a pic showing the D-rings I mentioned above:

upload_2020-10-6_14-58-40.jpeg

Here is a pic showing the metal tri-glide on the back of the holster that I mentioned above:
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSoZ7EVbv4E3RFvZ3I2xCDMqB2cgfOpgeq74A&usqp=CAU.jpg

Here is a picture of the Tecline long trim pockets that I mentioned in my previous post (I have not used the included strap as I have only had a need to load weights into the top and middle sections, the included strap is to keep the lower end from flapping if one's cam straps are configured such that the lower 3rd of the pockets are not support by a cam strap like in the 2nd picture below. If one wanted to mount the pockets so more weight was closer to their head, the middle and bottom third would be supported by the cam straps and the spare strap would help keep the top 3rd in position higher up on the tank...that's the beauty of these pockets, they are easily adjustable/configurable to promote figuring out where the best position for one's ballast should be positioned:
trimpockets-long__21534.1592386679.jpg

trimpockets-long-2__44068.1592386680.jpg

-Z

So for wet, green water, no weights needed for 12 and 15l steel.
For blue water, 2kg for 15l and 4kg for 12l, 6kg for AL80.

Dry, green water, 2kg and a STA (arround 1kg) with a 15l steel.

As for how, I have 4 trim pockets for the cambands, and since started diving dry, I zip tie 2kg to the backplate.

2,5kg backplate and another 2kg bolted to that in the form of a butt weight, with drysuit and doubles that's luckily all the lead I need.
When diving single tank I carry 2,5kg of backplate and an extra 5-6kg on a weight belt.

So for wet, green water, no weights needed for 12 and 15l steel.
For blue water, 2kg for 15l and 4kg for 12l, 6kg for AL80.

Dry, green water, 2kg and a STA (arround 1kg) with a 15l steel.

As for how, I have 4 trim pockets for the cambands, and since started diving dry, I zip tie 2kg to the backplate.
The pressure rating of your tanks is an important variable. You didn't give that.

While a 15L 232 bar is a rather popular and quite functional tank, a 15L 300 bar is a f-ing beast best suited for those under 30. And the net (negative) buoyancy differs more than just a little between those two. Ask me, I've owned a 15L 300 bar. I hope the new owner gets more joy from it than I got.

Depends on what backplate, and what system i’m Diving..

CCR... i’ve Built it into the unit. If I change to heavier undergarments or saltwater, I add a weightbelt.

Doubles... V weight (if needed)

Single tank... (rarely)
Caribbean? Just thread on the weight to the belt
Drysuit? Have 2x10lb Halcyon pockets on the waist, and usually need a few more lbs, so either on the rear crotch strap, or weight belt depending on undergarment.

_R

Back
Top Bottom