Poll: Summer Meet and greet Location

Where do you want to dive the summer Meet and Greet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't mind diving the sail boat / barge, I hear they are nice dives. But doesn't it require a boat to access the sites? Emerald bay, right?
Barges are in Emerald Bay, very shallow, and would need a boat for easy access. Sailboat is in Hurricane Bay, Speed boat is in Meeks Bay.

Now you're talking! :D

So, which one is better?
Will we have boats available to us? If so then Meeks bay, we can camp there, launch at the marina, dive from the beach, its a short drive to hurricane bay to access the sailboat, or a short boat ride to Rubicon wall and Emerald bay. I like to do the barges their shallow, but its an interesting easy wreck dive, great for all skill levels. I'd recommend Rubicon wall for more advanced levels, definitely don't want to do it with no buoyancy control.

Here's your motivation (or not):

Famed oceanographer Jacques Cousteau is said to have had a brush with something horrific in a deepwater dive in the mid-1970s. “The world isn’t ready for what was down there,” is the quote most commonly credited. Cousteau never released any photographs or data from the dive, adding to the mystery and legend.

Some believe Cousteau was talking about a Loch Ness monster-like creature that locals call “Tahoe Tessie.”

Many have told me that, if you were to take a submarine down 900 feet just off South Shore, you would see hundreds of bodies suspended in the water, preserved perfectly like an underwater wax museum, most wearing clothes from the 1920s, ’30s and ’40s.

The legend is that this is where the Mafia killers dumped bodies after executions. Some fishermen even call the spot The Grave. At Tahoe, many locals talk as if everybody knows about this, that there are lots of gangsters down there, wearing pinstriped suits, with sneers on their faces and bullet holes in their foreheads.

It has long been verified that Tahoe is a lake that does not give up its dead. That is because the lake is so deep, with an average depth of 989 feet, and so cold, with the temperature hovering just above freezing. So that prevents the creation of gases that would otherwise bloat and float corpses to the surface as in other waters.

Legend? Fiction? Too many beers? You decide!

I guess it's Monterey then... :wink:

How about putting out a summer schedule (ala Wrinkles in LA) for the summer/year
(Sample only)

May - Breakwater
June - Meeks Bay, Tahoe
July - Monastery (Alternate Breakwater)
August - Boat

Many have told me that, if you were to take a submarine down 900 feet just off South Shore, you would see hundreds of bodies suspended in the water, preserved perfectly like an underwater wax museum, most wearing clothes from the 1920s, ’30s and ’40s.

If you want to hear some great stories about the Mafia heyday of the Tahoe area, including Frank Sinatra's secret tunnels and what exactly did happen to Marilyn, talk to the general manager at the Cal Neva in north shore (Rob? Larry? I forget his name).

I love that story, it was awesome. Little creepy though.

I guess it's Monterey then... :wink:

How about putting out a summer schedule (ala Wrinkles in LA) for the summer/year
(Sample only)

May - Breakwater
June - Meeks Bay, Tahoe
July - Monastery (Alternate Breakwater)
August - Boat

Great Idea,
It does look like Monterey has a big lead, Now, do we want BW? Macabee? Coral Street?or??????
I think we should do Lovers again, maybe this time I won't drop my light and spend the dive searching the eel grass for it.

We probably have too many people to hold it at Lobos, but we sure can try.

Back
Top Bottom