Policy Changes at Aquarena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Ah, alas to have the old days of communication with Bridget. She would at least send out occasional bulletins of program changes and upcoming news.

What has happened with Bridget since she had her baby? Is she still in the area?

JessH and MackDiver, thank you both for the info.

I'm curious where the nearest place to Aquarena for camping is located. The drive for us is about 3 hours. Normally we do OW classes at the Comal this time of year and camp at Landa park, but the current can mess with the mojo. If it was possible to dive in Aquarena and camp nearby, it seems that it would be optimal.

4 appearances a year?. Unless someone lives in the Austin/San Antonio corridor, thats a pretty tall order. One weekend out of every 12 for someone who has to travel is a lot.

hydro12:
I'm curious where the nearest place to Aquarena for camping is located. The drive for us is about 3 hours. Normally we do OW classes at the Comal this time of year and camp at Landa park, but the current can mess with the mojo. If it was possible to dive in Aquarena and camp nearby, it seems that it would be optimal.
There is an RV park on the South side of town Canyon Trails as far as rough camping I could let you use my back yard for free, but seriously if you need a place to stay PM me and maybe we can work something out (if you're not an ax murderer and would submit to a CH check; btw I own guns). In addition I have access to free tanks and free air, perks of being on a dive team.

mfpikeil:
I just completed the course last week-end,

So, what did the powers that be say about return trips to volunteer? Is it now 4 times a year minimum, or does the 1 time a year still stand? Thanks,

Foo:
So, what did the powers that be say about return trips to volunteer? Is it now 4 times a year minimum, or does the 1 time a year still stand? Thanks,
Maybe I wasn't listening, but I don't remember them giving a minimum dive per year requirement. Certainly, there was nothing in writing given to us. All I know is that we can dive an unlimited amount of times, but you must request at least 48 hours in advance, and have a buddy. It's only 20 miles away, so it's great for me. The best thing to do is email the center and ask.

This is what Kat wrote to me in the follow-up e-mail:

I just thought of one more thing... We ask that our volunteers stay current by diving at least 4 times a year. Since you haven't been here in a while, I'd be happy to offer you a refresher for no cost. You can come to the class, relearn about the lake and its flora and fauna, and then dive with the class. It might be helpful. Otherwise, if your buddies have been more currently, they could help re-acclimate you to the environment.

Let me know!

This is what I got back. 4 dives a year sounds reasonable. 4 times a year is unreasonable. I dont have a problem with this policy

Hi Mark and Teresa! I have located your information in our files! Hooray! I am in the process of converting everyone’s files to a digital database and the process is proving time consuming and messy. Many files are missing or inaccurate.

We have changed our requirements for volunteer divers to perform at least 4 dives a year. This could mean 4 separate trips, or one long weekend of 4 individual dives. If you completed the class more than a year ago and have not been back to dive, you would not be aware of this change and the many others that have occurred recently. Therefore, you will not be held accountable to this new rule. However, once you return for your next dive, it will be necessary for you learn and follow all of the new policies. We do offer the diving for science class every other weekend and you are welcome to sit in for a refresher, free of charge. Or, you are welcome to schedule your next dive with one of our constant divers, who can give you the updates. Either way, we are not going to penalize you for missing a year and would like to have you back again. Of course, we do have to make sure you and our flora/fauna is safe during your volunteer dive.

I hope this helps answer some questions. I’ll attach a few of the announcements on some policy changes and the new approval form. Both will give you an idea on some of the new procedures you must follow.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

Kat Chapman

Diving Coordinator

Aquarena Center

TX State University

That sounds reasonable enough. Easy enough to knock that out in a weekend or even a single day depending on how much they will let you dive. I'm sure they have got a lot of people who go down there just to get into the nice clear water and this new policy is an attempt to curb that a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom