Policy Changes at Aquarena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We received our Volunteer Approval form, and since I didn't know about the yellow suits, I inquired of Kat about them. This is her response: "The University implemented the idea so that both the University Police and the staff at Aquarena could identify approved and unapproved divers."

Perhaps they had some issues with people sneaking in? Evidently they have some reason to increase security, so we'll flow with it, of course.

Foo:
We received our Volunteer Approval form, and since I didn't know about the yellow suits, I inquired of Kat about them. This is her response: "The University implemented the idea so that both the University Police and the staff at Aquarena could identify approved and unapproved divers."

Perhaps they had some issues with people sneaking in? Evidently they have some reason to increase security, so we'll flow with it, of course.
Where can I get a volunteer form? Diving is so easy even a caveman could do it.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
they have these yellow dive skins (look more like leotards) that you are supposed to wear over your wetsuit. They are hanging up near the compressor and there are different sizes, last time I was there most of them were ripped out at the crotch and legs. I was diving my drysuit so I didn't bother with one because it would have covered my inflator and exhaust valve. In the approval form this statement is #4: "All divers are now required to wear yellow suits over your wetsuits. The suits will ensure your visibility to both the guests and the staff, and are supplied by Aquarena. If you have any more questions about this new requirement, please ask the PIC."
I just completed the course last week-end, and most of the volunteers tied the yellow pajamas around their tanks in a knot. They are nothing but cheap cotton long johns. If it is cold, be prepared to freeze your ***** off in their very shabby, dank dressing area. They have plans to build new dressing facilities, but it will be at least a year before it happens. Also, wear a 5mm minimum - my computer was showing 68 degrees.

I just sent Kat an e-mail to see if I'm still on the volunteer list.

Do any of you guys teach class out there? I inquired to Kat about how to get an OW class setup out there in the roped off portion and she forwarded my email to someone named Eric who has never gotten back to me.

My name is Kat and I’ve taken over for Kelly as Diving Coordinator at Spring Lake . I’m glad to hear that you’re interested in coming out to volunteer. However, it has been one of our most strict policies that to remain current as a volunteer; you must participate in at least one science dive a year.

She told me in her return e-mail they are now requiring 4 appearances a year. There's no way I can do that.

ScubaTexan:
She told me in her return e-mail they are now requiring 4 appearances a year. There's no way I can do that.

Wow, they must be wanting to trim back their volunteer roster significantly for some reason. They seem quite eager to sign people up for the course as if they are in desperate need of volunteers.

I think I'd like to hear confirmation of that from Eric.

Back
Top Bottom