Policy Changes at Aquarena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan:
She told me in her return e-mail they are now requiring 4 appearances a year. There's no way I can do that.

Luckily I'm close enough and have the time to dive at least 4 times a year.

The buddy board would be most helpful as I don't know anyone personally who dives there and I depend on Kat matching me up with someone. Especially if Eric (the lake manager) posts what current cleanup/maintenance projects are going on. I think it would generate group interest for certain tasks, and we'd end up with a bunch of divers on any given weekend (hopefully this would count as a buddy).

ReefHound:
Wow, they must be wanting to trim back their volunteer roster significantly for some reason. They seem quite eager to sign people up for the course as if they are in desperate need of volunteers.

I think I'd like to hear confirmation of that from Eric.

I suspect they have a lot more "volunteers" than they need and that the primary motive behind the course is $$$. Not that anyone is going to complain about free labor.

awap:
I suspect they have a lot more "volunteers" than they need and that the primary motive behind the course is $$$. Not that anyone is going to complain about free labor.

I suspect you're probably right. I didn't get to come down at all last year, and if gas prices go up again this year like they did last summer, I might not make it back more than once again this year.

hydro12:
Do any of you guys teach class out there? I inquired to Kat about how to get an OW class setup out there in the roped off portion and she forwarded my email to someone named Eric who has never gotten back to me.
My girlfriend did some dives out there recently as part of her OW class. From what she told me the instructor said that you can use the training area for classes if the instructor has taken the scientific diver class and you pay $20 per diver that hasn't taken the class. This is only for the training area, students are not allowed in the rest of the spring lake.

~Jess

ScubaTexan:
She told me in her return e-mail they are now requiring 4 appearances a year. There's no way I can do that.

I have no problem with them asking for a 4 times a year qualifier at least you know what your getting into before you flop down $200. However
if you were certified before the new rule was applied then you should get grandfathered in on the original agreement or give us our tuition fee back. If I would have known that I had to make it up there 4 times a year I would of never did the cert to begin with.

Good read http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/sanmarcos.html

Dave:shakehead

hydro12:
Do any of you guys teach class out there? I inquired to Kat about how to get an OW class setup out there in the roped off portion and she forwarded my email to someone named Eric who has never gotten back to me.

My shop runs OW training classes out there during the winter / spring months. The instructors have been through the scientific diver class. Each student is required to pay a $25.00 entry fee per day to dive in the training area. This money goes straight to Aquarena. It is part of the way they raised the money to rebuild the dressing facility. Eric is the lake manager and he is the one who schedules the classes in the training area. I'm not sure when you sent the email, but he has been on vacation recently.

The $25.00 may sound high, but you get to dive in clear 70 degree spring water as opposed to paying $10.00 to dive in murky 55 degree lake water.

Teknadv3x:
I have no problem with them asking for a 4 times a year qualifier at least you know what your getting into before you flop down $200. However
if you were certified before the new rule was applied then you should get grandfathered in on the original agreement or give us our tuition fee back. If I would have known that I had to make it up there 4 times a year I would of never did the cert to begin with.

If I lived closer to the Austin/San Marcos area, I would have no problem doing it four or more times a year, but I don't. The new policy (if that is, indeed, what it is) sounds like it is catering more toward volunteers in that vicinity.

Don't get me wrong -- Spring Lake is a beautiful place to dive and the water is a consistent temperature all year long. I am very much concerned with its well-being and do appreciate the work that all volunteers and the Center's personnel are doing to protect it. But for us volunteers that live outside the Central Texas vicinity, it's beginning to feel like a "been there, done that" experience. :(

I see both sides.

Who knows what pressures they face from the state or the university but they stress in the course how they could lose their custodial status and diving privileges if they cannot maintain and control diver activities. They may be facing questions about the need or legitimacy of the program. It certainly feels like there are some changes going on in the background (perhaps responsible for the "lost records") and the "policy" may be in a state of transition where they are trying new things out.

Once per year divers are probably more of a burden than a benefit to them. It's not often enough for *most* divers to remain familiar with the lake and it's ecology and the procedures. Too many divers use it as a place for a high-viz pleasure dive than a sincere desire to "volunteer" and be of assistance.

On the other hand, the times I and my friends have been back they really haven't had any meaningful task for us to do. No serious briefing beforehand to make sure we understood the task and no debriefing to verify it was done. It seemed they couldn't care less, we were just a part of the show, a prop for the glassbottom boat tours.

If they have too many volunteers and need to trim the numbers down then they should stop running courses every weekend trying to recruit more. If they signed people up with the promise/requirement of diving at least once annually, then they should honor that. Perhaps they are simply trying to encourage divers to come out more often and don't understand it could have the opposite effect.

I suggest that we should first establish and confirm what the current policy is and where they are going. I have sent an email but it would be nice if Kat or Eric would log on and post something official or put it on their website. Then we can send our opinions and suggestions on this policy and perhaps have an influence.

I totally agree with you, ReefHound. The last time I was there, all they had me do was hold the wheel against the water flow at Diversion for the people in the glass-bottom boat to see. We don't seem to be as important to them as we used to be, and it may very well be they are feeling pressure from the state government as to where the program is going. It's also disheartening to see how dilapidated the facilities still are after all this time. I know they're trying to renovate parts of the park, but the last time I was there, it didn't look like much had been done.

BTW, Kat told me she would be off until Tuesday (President's Day Weekend), and I presume Eric will have the same time off.

Ah, alas to have the old days of communication with Bridget. She would at least send out occasional bulletins of program changes and upcoming news. After she left the authorization came from Eric Peterson, then it changed to Heather Fisher, and now Kat all in the last year. There have been some changes around Aquarena with the completed renovation of the old Hotel and conversion into the new exhibit hall, as well as work on renovation to the dive area that has started (for which they are soliciting more funds):
December 1, 2006
To: Diving for Science Volunteers at Aquarena
Re: Upgrade Existing Facilities To Support Diving Activities At Aquarena
The diving operations at Aquarena have achieved a high level of success and recognition. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service specifically acclaim this program as well as community leaders representing Hays County, the City of San Marcos and Texas State University.
As you know the existing diving facilities at Aquarena are in bad shape, inadequate and present an impression that doesn’t portray our commitment to excellence. Perhaps more important, they are rapidly approaching a condition that is unsafe. A description of the desired improvements has been prepared and submitted to the Texas State Facilities Division. Bathroom facilities with a privacy shower for both men and women would be provided. A wet deck with equipment storage racks, hot water rinse and immediate access to the water would be available. Dock and deck modifications would give access and service to work boat, dingy, and dive barge.
At this time the University has agreed to upgrade these facilities. Funds have been identified as $15,000 coming from the facilities funds, $15,000 from the Aquarena higher education assistance fund and $15,000 to be raised and placed in a special account through University Advancement at Texas State. At this time we are $6,000 short of the donations needed to start construction.
As soon as we raise this remaining $6,000 the Facilities Division at Texas State will be given the green light to begin renovation. A special account has been established and once your gift is received it can only be spent on upgrades to the diving facilities here at Spring Lake. Please consider this opportunity to demonstrate your level of commitment to this one of kind diving experience. Your donations are tax deductible and promise to provide a much more enjoyable experience.

Sincerely,
Ron Coley
Director / Aquarena Center
River Systems Institute
601 University Dr.
San Marcos TX 78666-4431
divingforscience@txstate.edu
I understand that Kat is fairly new to the coordinator spot and it seems she was dumped into a rats nest with the messed up database of divers, but you need to get the word out to anyone you know that went through the class to contact Kat and make sure they are in the Database and are current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom