Pockets - these seem a worthless option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RSdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been through two+ wet suits and a dry suit before buying a DUI custom at this weeks LDS Scuba Fair (20% OFF). The rep that fitted me asked 3 times if I wanted options including pockets. I had to stop and cell phone a friend/Long time DUI diver and ask about the pockets - they seem like heavy drag underwater and I've never needed them to store stuff in nor missed them on any previous suit.

Am I missing something?
Do others here find the pockets useful or are they just a cumbersome drag on underwater movement?

I could still change and have them added if I wanted them.
Thank you

RSdiver:
I've been through two+ wet suits and a dry suit before buying a DUI custom at this weeks LDS Scuba Fair (20% OFF). The rep that fitted me asked 3 times if I wanted options including pockets. I had to stop and cell phone a friend/Long time DUI diver and ask about the pockets - they seem like heavy drag underwater and I've never needed them to store stuff in nor missed them on any previous suit.

Am I missing something?
Do others here find the pockets useful or are they just a cumbersome drag on underwater movement?

Thank you

That you've not needed or missed them would seem to indicate you do not need them. How do you carry spare "stuff"?

RSdiver:

Am I missing something?

Thank you

I have not yet dove with a dry suit but I do have some x-shorts and make good use of those two big pockets.
  • Folding snorkel
  • Camera when not in use
  • sometimes a mask
  • sometimes an extra light
  • just depends on what I am doing.
  • Once I was underweighted and need the pockets for rocks...
    • saved the end of the dive

I don't think they are really much more drag than the dry suit itself, just about everybody I know has them. I use them for lights, sometimes a slate, particularly when I am teaching. If there's anything you carry in a BC pocket, it's easier to carry in the suit pockets.

Here's what goes in my dry-suit pockets...

Back-up, back-up light
Safety sausage
Slate(s)
Compass
Shells I find for my daughter

With the exception of the last item, I could clip all that stuff to my backplate or harness, but there's gotta be less drag in a pocket than being decked out like a christmas tree.

Pockets are good for your spare mask, finger spool and SMB and wet notes.

I use the pockets all the time.

Extra mask
Fold snorkel
Sausage
Slate
All depend what i'm doing

One time i was underweight and i just stuffed my pockets with rocks, i think they are very helpful

Got to have my pockets!

SMB, spool, wetnotes, spare dbl ender, spare mask, backup tables, and fake dog poo or other gag for buddy.

They're tight against my legs in the slip stream so I don't notice any drag.

They do indeed seem useless, until you begin using a BP/wings.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom