Please support more flights to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree on both counts. But to expect airlines to sponsor divers on unprofitable routes is not reasonable.

Basically the premise is that if dive operators/shops think that flights are profitable for an airline to run on a daily basis and airlines don't run it they are free to charter flights. If they are correct they will make money, if they are wrong they will lose money. But for dive operator/shop to expect others to run that risk is not fair.

Well, I don't have any expectations one way or the other, but airlines are much more accustomed to assessing and dealing with the risk, and they also can spread the risk around over lots of routes. Also, a one-time charter of a plane is a very expensive proposition.

But as I said earlier, if the move on Continental's part is just to pull back during a slow period, then it's no big deal.

I think there are those who believe big business can be swayed by an internet email campaign. I personally find that highly unlikely when it comes to the kind of money it takes to get an airliner from one country to another daily. Believe it or not, it's pretty basic math...do these flights make us a profit worth the wear and tear on the aircraft....if yes, they go....if not, they don't. No matter what the email count is.

In this economy, most belts are being tightened. Iberostar charges dock fees and airlines take long hard looks at their routes. When there are fewer travelers and less money to spread around....that is how it has to be. One email campaign after another does not change the mathematics of doing business.

Well, I don't have any expectations one way or the other, but airlines are much more accustomed to assessing and dealing with the risk, and they also can spread the risk around over lots of routes. Also, a one-time charter of a plane is a very expensive proposition.

But as I said earlier, if the move on Continental's part is just to pull back during a slow period, then it's no big deal.

Even if it is permanent it is a business decision and one can't blame them for it. Does anyone really think they would pull out/reduce frequency if route was profitable?

The e-mail campaign may have had little chance of succeeding but at least they will know that a lot of people noticed and were not happy. Silence would have been worse.

I have to question the benefit of an email campaign based on Cry Wolf misinformation, tho. Even for the weeks with weekend flights only, if they fill up - they can reconsider, and might add more.

There's been much worry here about cutbacks due to the bean counting at the new United-Continental. To those who live and work here, the line's schedule cutback has wide-ranging effects. It's not only about supporting the local dive industry. Continental is considered a lifeline.

It brings tourists of all kinds to stay in our hotels which keeps the economy moving during the lowest season -- fewer seats mean fewer tourists, plain and simple. It also delivers products for our stores (not everything arrives by ferry), carries business travelers to and from the island for conferences and other meetings and project work as well as medical patients seeking help from doctors abroad, brings in mail, allows ex-pats who live here to get off the island quickly in times of family emergencies, provides vital assistance in times of tropical storms and hurricanes, and more.

Not to mention the potential for high-cost travel and certain imported goods, losing the Houston-CZM-Houston capacity mid-week means filled planes on weekends and less capacity for the other purposes the airline has traditionally served.

I am not surprised. I suspected big schedule changes now that Chicago is their new home - contrary to assurances that they gave. I will be sending email right now! I guess we can also expect a big fare increase as well. Is'nt consolidation wonderful. No price fixing here!

There's been much worry here about cutbacks due to the bean counting at the new United-Continental. To those who live and work here, the line's schedule cutback has wide-ranging effects. It's not only about supporting the local dive industry. Continental is considered a lifeline.

It brings tourists of all kinds to stay in our hotels which keeps the economy moving during the lowest season -- fewer seats mean fewer tourists, plain and simple. It also delivers products for our stores (not everything arrives by ferry), carries business travelers to and from the island for conferences and other meetings and project work as well as medical patients seeking help from doctors abroad, brings in mail, allows ex-pats who live here to get off the island quickly in times of family emergencies, provides vital assistance in times of tropical storms and hurricanes, and more.

Not to mention the potential for high-cost travel and certain imported goods, losing the Houston-CZM-Houston capacity mid-week means filled planes on weekends and less capacity for the other purposes the airline has traditionally served.

I think we all get that. But if midweek travel route is not profitable you can't really blame Continental for taking it out. I can hardly see any airline removing a profitable route.

If other services are needed I am sure market will show it in terms of supply and demand. If more demand arises from consumers willing to pay for the service I am sure someone (Continental or someone else) will step up and provide it. But we can't expect airlines to fly a route (with little to none competition none the less) at loss.

Perhaps looking from a different perspective. Hotels might lower their price to attract tourists and more tourists will mean more profit for an airline and they might continue the route other then weekends. Or hotels and other tourist organizations will stand together and charter daily flights as needed (it is not unheard of).

I am sure if there is a demand the solution will present itself in time. If there is not, no amount of e-mailing will help. One can't expect someone else to fut the bill for their own convenience.

Hmmm, I just checked Continental's web site for mid August though September flight schedules and now they do have some mid week flights. Maybe they heard from their customers, and are making some compromises. It looks like there will be 2-3 midweek flights during this time. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

I think we all get that. But if midweek travel route is not profitable you can't really blame Continental for taking it out. I can hardly see any airline removing a profitable route.

I think we get that, too. But going from seven days a week to two days a week seems like a knee jerk overreaction. I usually fly mid-week and the planes are certainly not half empty. It's been awhile since I've been on a plane going there that had more than a handful of empty seats.

I have no evidence but I think this schedule change has more to do with other internal factors than route profitability or customer demand. Maybe Continental is in tough negotiations with the Mexican govt on taxes/fees/regulations and are sending a message. Or maybe it has to do with the pending merger and hub realignment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom