Please support more flights to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emails sent. Hope it helps.

Done. I also emailed them through their Customer Care Center and requested a call back. We'll see.

I have Wednesday flights already booked for November, so I was getting worried, but it looks like they reinstate the weekday flights as of September 29th. I wonder what reasoning they would have to pull the flights for a month & a half?

Maybe it's part of tighter yield management and demand is lower in that period (height of hurricane season, back to school, etc.) and whereas in the past they would carry a slow month on the daily schedule for sake of consistency now they will reduce the schedule for those periods.

Maybe it's part of tighter yield management and demand is lower in that period (height of hurricane season, back to school, etc.) and whereas in the past they would carry a slow month on the daily schedule for sake of consistency now they will reduce the schedule for those periods.
Maybe we reacted prematurely? I got the impression from the included email that it was to be a permanent change of schedule. If they are just dropping back for a slow month or two, it's not that big a deal.

Maybe we reacted prematurely? I got the impression from the included email that it was to be a permanent change of schedule. If they are just dropping back for a slow month or two, it's not that big a deal.

Yep, when I read the email, first thing I did was check flights for middle of September and saw that Mon-Fri all showed No Fare Available. So I didn't check further. Funny though, you'd think if the divetech owner really talked to Continental about it they would have pointed that out.

Perhaps Air Mexico will see an opportunity to fill a gap and further support the Mexican economy. A lack of direct, economical weekday flights from either Dallas of Houston will definitely effect my travel plans. My last trip on a Wednesday from Houston seemed fairly full and profitable.
Is Air Mexico owned by the government? If so, that is the reason for having a national airline as many countries or groups do; if not, I wonder still how much support they get?
I have Wednesday flights already booked for November, so I was getting worried, but it looks like they reinstate the weekday flights as of September 29th. I wonder what reasoning they would have to pull the flights for a month & a half?
Yeah, people talk about how bad the economy is so they anticipate some travel cutbacks. If demand continues tho, they can find planes and crews to go with furloughed pilots ready to come back. I did a month by month check for IAH-CZM for mid month weeks and the current plans support your suggestion. Indeed while they start cutting back in August, more so in September, there are some nice base fares before taxes added in October and November, much higher in December when demand is expected to jump...

ScreenHunter_01 May. 24 21.12.jpg ScreenHunter_02 May. 24 21.13.jpg ScreenHunter_03 May. 24 21.14.jpg ScreenHunter_04 May. 24 21.15.jpg ScreenHunter_05 May. 24 21.17.jpg
Looks like someone jumped to conclusions and picked up followers here huh? I suppose more will email after reading a few posts and not make it down this far, but - it can't hurt. Always nice to confirm facts before reacting tho.

So, someone want to investigate the facts and report so we can organize appropriately? Maybe Antonio would like to edit his original post to never mind...?

Now we have serious problems getting same day flights out of Lubbock to Coz as the contracted express carried is cutting back more, in fact my last August trip is planned for weekend travel and out of Amarillo both as I couldn't get Lubbock to Coz same day, but I never had any luck with voicing concerns on such contracted carriers. From my last flight, I did file a complaint for the FA turning the volume up to maximum and bodily shoving my seat forward (pretty sure he's not allowed to do that without a warning anyway), and the Continental rep was speechless - but when I noted that flying Cont Express is not the same as Cont, she just agreed. I told her I understood she needed to investigate further before reacting and wished her well, no reply needed. I don't like Cont Express, but it's better than not having them.

I read it the same way - as a permanent change - which is why I immediately checked my November reservations. They have been know to change them without informing us before, so I was worried. Once I saw there was no changes, I started working backwards to see when the weekday flights disappeared, and that was before 9/29. Still, I'd think if they were cutting back the schedule, they would leave a couple weekdays with flights. Cutting out all 5 days seems excessive.

And I'm with Reefhound - why didn't the CT rep point out to the dive shop owner that the cuts were just for a limited time? Unless CT isn't telling their own people what they're up to!

Well, they are merging with United so I imagine they have many unforeseen decisions to come.

I also question the originators suggestion that "The alternative is to fly in to Cancun, endure a 4 ½ hour layover, then fly a puddle jumper to Cozumel and hope all your bags make it there." Even from Lubbock, my alternative of choice is to fly to Cancun, get on the bus, walk to the ferry, ride over, walk to the taxi, and bypass the sardine vans. :thumb:

I received an email from Continental cancelling a fall flight. I spoke with them on the phone today and they indicated that they would return to the normal schedule Oct. 15. That doesn't gaurentee anything, but that's what I was told.

I would fly Continental from Dallas (connecting through Houston) if the flights were earlier in the day.

If we arrived in Coz by 10am, we could go on the afternoon dives on the first day. With current arrival times at 12:00 or after, the entire first day is lost to travel with no opportunity to dive (except limited shore or night time).

Back
Top Bottom