Please suggest BC for new diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not going back over the thread to see if this has already been mentioned. Got a Dive Right In Scuba e-mail with an 11% off sale on a HOG brand 'total buoyancy control system package.' You get a number of customization options. The price given is $399 (sale ends Jan. 1), and it says:

Items Included:

1 – Deluxe Flex Harness

1 – Aluminum Back Plate (Blk or Red) or Flex Soft Plate Pack

1 – Hog 23 Black or 32lb Bungee Singles Wing (All Black or Black/Red)

1 – Hog Set of Drop Weight Pockets (Large or Small)

1 – Hog 1.5 In Quick Release or Hog 2 In Standard Crotch Strap

2 – Tank Straps (Plastic Buckle, SS Buckle, or Quick Fit )

2 – Sex Bolts

Add $4.88 to get large instead of small quick drop weight pockets. $26.60 if you want a 32 lbs lift wing instead of 23 lbs. If you want stainless steel cam band buckles instead of plastic, that costs a bit more. It's $13.30 to have them web your harness if you wish (and I would!).

I like the black and red color scheme, and the option to get a black or red aluminum backplate (you can get a soft plate or pay an upcharge for stainless steel).

I don't own HOG gear, but from what I understand it's quite reputable, I'd have no qualms about getting it, and that's a pretty sweet price.

Because I'm foot heavy (even with light fins, my Deep6 Eddys), I would add tank cam band trim pockets.

I'm normally not a stylish person, but for whatever reason, I like my BCD to look good to me. Here's their product photo of it:

Total Buoyancy Control System Package
Man... I thought I made up my mind. I was just about to order a Zeagle Express Tech until I saw this. It's about the same price unless I have to add on a single tank adapter which it looks like I do. And I can't tell if it has two tank straps or not.
For the use intended, would the SS or aluminum BP be recommended? I'm thinking doing the SS would lessen the weight carried at his waist. That would be good right?
And what about bladder? 23 lbs. right? I think the 32 lb would be overkill don't you think?

23 lb wing is fine up to a 3 mm wetsuit, IMO. Otherwise, I'd say the 32 lb is a better choice.

The primary purpose of the wing is to compensate for the weight of the air before you use it (5 lb for an AL80 tank) and loss of buoyancy due to wetsuit compression at depth (obviously suit dependent, but my 3mm can't lose more than 8 lb). Margin on top of that is good in case you need to help a buddy or float higher on the surface.

SS will likely trim better. (Less weight on the waist reduces the foot-heavy tendency.) The drawback is the few additional lbs may push you over the limit if it's in your checked luggage.

It's about the same price unless I have to add on a single tank adapter which it looks like I do
No need for an STA... If you look up the wing and plate separately you'll see they both have slots for tank straps, so the straps go through the both, sandwiching the wing between the plate and tank. It comes with book screws that you can use to keep the wing positioned when you don't have a tank on it, but it's debatable if they are even necessary (I don't use them on my BPW).
And I can't tell if it has two tank straps or not
It does.

As for SS or AL, I use aluminum... and when I'm in warm water diving in a 3mm shorty I don't need lead at all. SS would have me slightly overweighted in those conditions. But if he's diving cooler water a lot, the SS is less lead going in the pockets. All depends on individual buoyancy and expect conditions.

Respectfully,

James

Man... I thought I made up my mind. I was just about to order a Zeagle Express Tech until I saw this. It's about the same price unless I have to add on a single tank adapter which it looks like I do. And I can't tell if it has two tank straps or not.
For the use intended, would the SS or aluminum BP be recommended? I'm thinking doing the SS would lessen the weight carried at his waist. That would be good right?
And what about bladder? 23 lbs. right? I think the 32 lb would be overkill don't you think?
I have a HOG aluminum Back Plate & 23LB Hog wing. I also have the Hog weight pockets, so for all practical purposes, I have essentially this set up except for the padding.

No, you do NOT need an STA. There are 2 "ribs", one on each side of centerline that act as a built in STA. It does a very good job of holding the tank in place relative to both the Plate and the Wing.

If I were you, I would go for an aluminum plate. As others have mentioned, you don't want to be standing in front of the check in counter at the airport with your luggage being over 50LBs. One of the easiest ways to shave a couple pounds in your baggage is to opt for an aluminum rather than Stainless Steel BP.

Although you didn't mention it, I also really like the Hog Weight pockets. They are quick dump velcro pull opening, but to load or unload day to day, they have zippered tops so you only have to use the velcro in an emergency. This means that the velcro will not need to be used and it retains its grip. (So brilliant ye so obvious once you see it.)

Finally, the kit does come with two tank straps. If you look at the SCUBALab review video on the website that you provided the link to, at the 38 second point, they turn one around and you can clearly see both tank straps.

I just set up a HOG Total Buoyancy Control System for an 11yr old girl. Her mom is giving it to her for Christmas. I had them in class over the summer. The system is a BPW style rig with a soft plate instead of aluminum or steel and has an adjustable harness.
Sounds like what you set up for her is what I later linked info. to. I like the idea you mentioned of strategically storing webbing so it can be expanded with growth without having the replace it rethreading with new webbing.

Why did she opt for a soft plate? Just curious as to the reasoning, and whether it had anything to do with her being a growing child and/or small. Thanks.

Okay, last question then... how reputable is the brand? How is overall build quality and customer service?
I've been out of the game for about 12 yrs so to me, they are a new brand name that I've never heard of before. Granted, I'm not super familiar with Zeagle either but I've owned and enjoyed their gear and they've been around for a long time.

Okay, last question then... how reputable is the brand? How is overall build quality and customer service?
I've been out of the game for about 12 yrs so to me, they are a new brand name that I've never heard of before. Granted, I'm not super familiar with Zeagle either but I've owned and enjoyed their gear and they've been around for a long time.
Hog is well known and well respected. Additionally, with a BPW, nearly everything is replaceable with off the shelf/generic stuff (plain webbing, triglides, d rings, plate itself is bullet proof). I believe their wings use standard/generic parts. So it all should be maintainable forever.

Both Hog and Zeagle are well known and very reputable companies. I think that you would be very happy with either the Hog Total Buoyancy System or the Zeagle Express Tech.

As an aside, @The Chairman is a huge supporter of the Zeagle Express Tech and recommends them quite often.

Sounds like what you set up for her is what I later linked info. to. I like the idea you mentioned of strategically storing webbing so it can be expanded with growth without having the replace it rethreading with new webbing.

Why did she opt for a soft plate? Just curious as to the reasoning, and whether it had anything to do with her being a growing child and/or small. Thanks.
Because the soft plate comes in an extra small and she is a few inches under 5 ft tall. Fits her better and less expensive than trying to find a short plate. Only a couple companies make them and they are way overpriced for what they are and what they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom