Please suggest BC for new diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, last question then... how reputable is the brand? How is overall build quality and customer service?
I've been out of the game for about 12 yrs so to me, they are a new brand name that I've never heard of before. Granted, I'm not super familiar with Zeagle either but I've owned and enjoyed their gear and they've been around for a long time.
HOG has been around since 2008. A number of shops hate them because they sell direct to instructors and allow the user to take a class to service their own regs. I've taught roughly 50 divers to do that.
They also tend to be less expensive because they don't do any flashy advertising, the packaging is often plain, and they do not use a distributor or have sales reps.

Man... I thought I made up my mind. I was just about to order a Zeagle Express Tech until I saw this. It's about the same price unless I have to add on a single tank adapter which it looks like I do. And I can't tell if it has two tank straps or not.
For the use intended, would the SS or aluminum BP be recommended? I'm thinking doing the SS would lessen the weight carried at his waist. That would be good right?
And what about bladder? 23 lbs. right? I think the 32 lb would be overkill don't you think?
No STA is needed. And the price is the MAP price. Meaning that's the minimum that dealers can advertise it for. Doesn't mean they can't make a deal with you privately that's better. The stainless plate does mean less weight needed but for travel can be an issue if the airline is being nasty. I have set up over 100 HOG harness systems between the TBCS and a standard BPW. I've been a dealer since 2011. What I recommend for travel is the aluminum plate and add a weight pocket to each cam band. One on one side of the upper and one on the opposite side of the lower. This allows the traveling diver to simulate a steel plate without the weight in the luggage. Drop a 2 lb in each pocket and you have a 6lb plate.
The mistake people make when the put pockets on cam bands is they do not put them up against the wing and/or they put the weights on one side.
The way I set up a rig, you can't tell that you're using an al plate with pockets instead of a steel one. What the pockets also do is allow you to tailor the weights in the back. Using my 5 mil famer john freediving suit I have 10 mil on the core so instead of putting 2's in the pockets I'd put 3's or 4's depending on whether I was in fresh or salt water.

I never had the face down issue with my original 1990 jacket style US Divers Cousteau BC. I made the back inflate Aeris Oceans 5 BC work by using the trim pockets. In fact, AFTER i lost 34# i never used the front weight pockets again, I used 5# in the trim pockets only. But if there isnt any air inflated under my armpits, and its all on your back, I go face down on the surface or like you said I have to lay on my back like I am waiting to be rescued lol

Oh and I don't lake dive anymore unless its working on a waterski course. I did a bit of anchor work about 2 months ago, that was more than enough... so i dont need to upgrade gear much. but i do love my new teric and transmitter! lol
The BC is not pushing you forward. Improper setup and use is. This is a skills and education issue. Not a gear issue.

I got curious about the Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD that was mentioned. LeisurePro.com has a listing on it, with this photo. and I'll copy and past part of the product description from their site:

Zeagle Express Tech: Picture 1

In the photos, it looks like a BP/W system with a soft plate. Note the wing doesn't wrap around the user's sides. And the inflator lets you attach a water hose to aid in rinsing; a nice plus. You can use it for diving doubles!

"The Express Tech Deluxe Back Inflator BCD is an ultra-light weight, super compact traveling BC pack with features never-before found in a rig this small. The unique backplate is reinforced with a polymer material that gives the support needed and the flex desired for a comfortable fit. The system comes standard with a 24 lbs. (10.89 kg) compact bladder with elastic retractors to keep its' profile small. Two sets of center plate grommets allow for attaching twin cylinder assemblies via the bolt and nut arrangement that most tech systems use."

I am leery of 'ultra- light weight' out of concern for durability, but later it says this "Bladder is constructed from durable 1,000-Denier nylon fabric with an internal urethane laminate and all seams are radio frequency (RF) welded for long life."

DiveRightInScuba's product page states "Larger optional bladders are available." I'd probably opt for something with over 24 lbs. lift, if there was any chance I'd be doing some cold water diving with thick exposure protection and a heavy steel tank.

So, is that thing considered a BP/W or not?

I got curious about the Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD that was mentioned. ...

Zeagle Express Tech: Picture 1

... So, is that thing considered a BP/W or not?
Zeagle refers to it as a "Versatile and lightweight travel BCD." so I would go with that. I would call it a Back Inflate BCD that has a lot in common with a BP/W.

If you ask 10 scuba board armchair internet divers an opinion. You will get 30 different answers. Lol
Ha ha... he opines on the internet likely from a comfy armchair.
I've gotten some great advice that's helped me tremendously.
Please share some of your experience on the topic.

I used a Zeagle Express Tech for a while, then tried a metal backplate and sold the Express Tech.

Got my C-card in august. Not saying the way I did it is the best way but it was the best way for me. After I did my “try scuba” I knew I was hooked and wanted to dive every single given chance. So I sat down with my instructor and talked to her about every different type of diving. What kind I wanted to do and what I was more likely to do. Then went from there. Used the shops gear for a cpl weeks during class then in my last week started ordering what I liked for me. Which ended up being a back inflate Zuma BCD and titan regs and cobra 3 computer and 2 piece 7mm wetsuit. Everything I bought was investigated online and I asked the opinion of my instruct and the shop owner to figure out what I wanted to buy. The shop has ALOT of used gear that people used a cpl times and didn’t like or just didn’t want to dive anymore. And a backplate and wing BCD I’m finding I wished I had went that direction instead of my zuma because BP/W can grow with the diver. Idk I’m just ranting now. Good luck. 🤙🏼

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom