Please suggest BC for new diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the inflator lets you attach a water hose to aid in rinsing; a nice plus.
This is a simple, but really nice feature. It makes cleaning afterwards so easy. Just pour some BC Conditioner, if desired, down the corrugated hose, attach the hose and turn on the water. Once it fills up, I’ll cycle the dump valves to make sure they all get rinsed, then let it run for a bit while I do other stuff.

I often forget how nice that is. Went diving yesterday with two friends. I have a Zeagle, one friend also has a Zeagle, and the third has a ScubaPro. While they were cleaning the boat, I cleaned the BCs. First two were the Zeagles, and they were nice and easy. Then I went to the ScubaPro. That’s just a pain. pour some conditioner and water in, then slosh it around, rinse repeat.

Plus, for those who dive with SS1s, Octo-Zs, etc. The coupler makes it simple to store your octo with your regulator, which also makes it easier to get serviced.

This is a simple, but really nice feature.
Got a question about that. I've never used the Zeagle system. I bought an attachment meant to offer similar functionality to a regular BCD; it attaches where the low pressure inflator hose normally does, then you hold the inflator air release button down (IIRC; haven't used it for awhile) while your water hose fills the BCD bladder. In theory.

In practice, this is a slow, tedious process. The pathway for water to get through must be quite small, so flow is slow. Of course, it was made for air, not water. I went back to applying the water hose to the end of the corrugated hose while holding the air release button down; that filled a bit faster.

So, on the Zeagle, does the system let the water hose fill the internal air bladder pretty fast? I'm guessing it must, because I haven't heard people complaining.

There are many ways to skin a cat.
When I first started scuba diving nearly 25 yrs ago the selection of BC was very limited. It is like a mine field nowadays.
Just make sure your purchase suit your kind/style of diving.
There are plenty of issues to ponder.

Got a question about that. I've never used the Zeagle system. I bought an attachment meant to offer similar functionality to a regular BCD; it attaches where the low pressure inflator hose normally does, then you hold the inflator air release button down (IIRC; haven't used it for awhile) while your water hose fills the BCD bladder. In theory.

In practice, this is a slow, tedious process. The pathway for water to get through must be quite small, so flow is slow. Of course, it was made for air, not water. I went back to applying the water hose to the end of the corrugated hose while holding the air release button down; that filled a bit faster.

So, on the Zeagle, does the system let the water hose fill the internal air bladder pretty fast? I'm guessing it must, because I haven't heard people complaining.
Yes. Very fast. No need to hold anything down, either. It will fill as fast as your water pressure from the hose will allow. I never timed it, but I’d guess it’s around 30 seconds before one of the dump valves releases.

I believe they sell the BX coupler separately, or perhaps it comes with a Zeagle or Atomic branded inflator/Octo-Z/SS1. So, you don’t necessarily need a Zeagle or Atomic BC to use it.

I used a Zeagle Express Tech for a while, then tried a metal backplate and sold the Express Tech.

Yep, same story….Zeagle Express Tech for ~100 dives and then fleeted up to a BP/W. Glad I did. No longer needed to rock left or right to balance the air in the Zeagle’s horseshoe wing. Air in a donut wing self settles allowing the diver to focus on looking/enjoying.

I’d refrain from buying gear until after his course. What’s on the rack will be tempting but may not meet the criteria still in development as new divers.

Also, I think the chances of regretting the purchase of a jacket style BC are much higher than regretting a BP/W. IMO, there isn’t anything the jacket does that the BP/W can’t do and better. Modularity, buoyancy control and maintenance are greatly enhanced.

Plus, he’ll look like a bad a$$ 2021 version of Mike Nelson diver jock for all the snorkel bunnies on the boat.

Yep, same story….Zeagle Express Tech for ~100 dives and then fleeted up to a BP/W. Glad I did. No longer needed to rock left or right to balance the air in the Zeagle’s horseshoe wing. Air in a donut wing self settles allowing the diver to focus on looking/enjoying.
What I didn't like about the Express Tech was how floppy the plastic plate felt compared with the metal plate once I had a chance to try that. Until I tried a metal plate, I hadn't realized my tank was moving around slightly on the Express Tech. Also, the Express Tech came with padding in various places, and I kept shedding that until I realized the rig I had left was much like a standard backplate and harness, only the plate part wasn't metal.

I find the necessity or convenience of the Zeagle BX system to be a little inflated. My kit recovery time and thoroughness didn’t diminish after parting ways with the Zeagle. It’s not a bad feature, just not as indispensable as I perceived.

I find the necessity or convenience of the Zeagle BX system to be a little inflated. My kit recovery time and thoroughness didn’t diminish after parting ways with the Zeagle. It’s not a bad feature, just not as indispensable as I perceived.
I wouldn’t say it’s necessary, but it sure is convenient. I’m fairly thorough about cleaning my gear. The inside of my BC was always the one area that I felt was not getting cleaned to my liking. I filled, sloshed, and drained multiple times, but it was still nagging me. Especially hearing of salt rocks being pulled out of BC bladders due to inadequate rinsing.

When I got the Zeagle, that nagging went away. Plus, while the BC is on the hose, I can attend to other gear in the bucket.

Absolutely get a backplate and wing!
customizable.
better trim.
use less weight.

The BC is not pushing you forward. Improper setup and use is. This is a skills and education issue. Not a gear issue.

Well, I sure would like to know what was done wrong in "setting it up" :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom