Please help us plan our 1st Philippine trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is funny after 4 years from the first post. Been there twice now and planning a trip back this spring. JUST got done yesterday asking my friend Ta who is in the states now about a liveaboard for Apo and Tubbatha reef. Someone is reading my mind!

The Atlantis Azores is based out of Puerto Galera from October to December. They start in Anilae, and head down to Apo Reef. See picture below.

Map-ApoReef-Anilao.jpg

not to hijack the post, i have a quick question.

What is the best way to get from Cebu to Cabilao and from there to Panglao?
Thanks,

The Atlantis Azores is based out of Puerto Galera from October to December. They start in Anilae, and head down to Apo Reef. See picture below.

Anilae?

Hey Pony,

Only been in the Philippines for a few weeks working as an instructor but so far I have found the diving to be fantastic and had my two best day dives recently in Marrison Island, 25+ visibility more fish than an aquarium plus nudibranch and tons of coral varieties, smiling so much my mask leaked constantly. We are based in Pandan Antique but also offer island hopping trips and we are the only dive shop in the area so the dive sites are just us.

Best time for visibility is April to may but September can also be fantastic atlhough highly dependant on the weather conditions.

We have a great variety of dive sites and are easily accessible from Kalibo airport. We also offer other excursions rainforest walks waterfall tours etc.

Check us out at Phaidon Beach Resort or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm regards,

ED

I have been a couple of times to Bohol and really liked the diving around Balicasag Island. Crystal clear waters, lots of macro life and few divers.
Best time for diving is during the dry season from January to May. Cebu pacific has multiple flights per day from Manila to Cebu and from there take the ferry to Bohol / Panglao.
You could start your diving itinerary in Puerto Galera, two hours south of Manila and after 1 week in Puerto Galera head to Bohol. After Bohol you could consider Malapascua, where thresher harks are often spotted.

After reading many of the PPD posts and forums, I’m still confused as ever. There are way too many Islands and locations. Hopefully one of SB seasoned Philippine travelers can give me some help. My wife and I would like to travel to the Philippines approximately 1 year from now. We would like to spend our time between 2-3 Islands/Dive resorts. Additionally, we are interested in the Islands/locations that offer on-shore activities or “thing to do and see”. We are easily pleased with corals and fish, along with opportunities to see large pelagics; Wrecks are not that great of interest, but wouldn’t pass one by. We do not need luxurious accommodations, but would prefer AC and modern amenities without spending a lot. AI resort/dive packages are always easier and considered. We do NOT want to get to complicated in the connections between locations, thus spending all of our time in transfers and worrying about getting there. We will spend at least 2 weeks, and maybe 3 in the Philippines. So here are the questions;

1. What time of the year would you recommend for best combination of weather and diving conditions and pricing?

2. For first time travelers to this region, where would you start; e.g. Fly into what Airport/Island and stay at what resort?

3. Are there dive operations that offer multi-destination (Island) diving vacations (other than liveaboards) ?

4. Could anyone recommend a good Philippine Scuba travel agency?

I don’t mind spending time on the Inet for information and or booking reservations; I just need a good place to start. However, if someone wants to send me a photocopied itinerary for a 2-3 week trip…I won’t pass it bye. Thanks for any information.
Minor point but it was a shock to me. There aren't any sugar free or diet soda readily available here in the philippines. Yes, both Coca Cola and Pepsi make a sugar free product, but 90% of places do not carry it. Only the very highest end places...and strangely places like MacDonalds-esque "Jolibee" fast food places...commonly and always carry things like Pepsi Lite or Coke Zero.

Hello there.

I just read your letter and I would like to introduce to you my dive shop here in Puerto galera.

I'll answer your questions.

1. Best time to come here where the weather is good and the price for rooms has dropped down a bit.........(low season) would be from April to November.

2. Puerto galera is the perfect place to start for a 1st timer to come to.......as it's so easy to get here....just a 1.5 hour bus ride from Manila and then another 1.5 hour boat ride to Puerto Galera. We can arrange airport pick up for you should you wish. You would fly into the international airport.

3.As far as I know live aboards are the only way to reach other islands.........but here we have plenty of good diving to keep you happy.

4. Sorry don't know about that. If you are interested to dive with us our web page is South Sea Divers Puerto Galera Philippines and our email address is dive@southseadivers.com if you have any questions please ask and I'll get right back to you. Sky

Hi First Time PH Traveller-

There are a lot of really great ideas that other people have posted. I would also include Malapascua on your list of places to see and dive. The local diving is great for maco, beautiful reefs, including day trips to Gato and Kalanggaman Islands and of course the thresher shark cleaning stations in the early morning!

The island is a relaxed, with great beaches and lots of good food. You can fly into Cebu, take a car up to Maya in 2.5 hours give or take and take a boat across in about 30 minutes. Once you are on the island there are plenty of places to stay with including the basic a/c and fan rooms.

I've been working on Malapascua for the past 5 months as a dive master and I absolutely love it. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me and I'll be happy to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom