Please get in shape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are fat you are fat.....you may be able to bench three trucks but you are still not the shape that you are supposed to be and at some point it may well catch up to you.

not sure how the cardiac doc will be when he says you're stuffed and you say "but doc, you should see me squat"

not to say people shouldnt be fat if thats their choice.......but if it is your choice you cant have it both ways and also claim to be "in shape"

Tiggs:
if you are fat you are fat.....you may be able to bench three trucks but you are still not the shape that you are supposed to be and at some point it may well catch up to you.

How do you define "fat" and what is the shape you are supposed to be?

"fat" to me is when you have no abbdominal muscles visable at all.....at about 17-21% body fat.

As a human you are not meant to store fat (like a whale) and if you lived life as your body was designed for you would be a lot leaner.......go to the Amazon or Africa and look at people living of the land.....you wont find any fatties there!

In fact the only humans that have an excuse for extra fat are Eskimos.......so if you live in an Igloo you can push 25% :wink:

HOWEVER...what you are meant to be by nature is not what you have to be. You arent meant to go underwater but peole do.

I have no problem with people chooisng "fat".......but i chuckle when they suggest its not without risk. On a personal note i find it grim to look at.....but thats based on no medical basis - i just think a fat belly is gross and wonder why blokes lugging such lard around with them dont do their wives a favour and sort themselves out! (of course if wife is a chucky as well then i can understand....its like you are getting your own back :wink:)

Tiggs:

not sure how the cardiac doc will be when he says you're stuffed and you say "but doc, you should see me squat"

not to say people shouldnt be fat if thats their choice.......but if it is your choice you cant have it both ways and also claim to be "in shape"

Is fat really out of shape? Last time I checked it was the majority not the minority :11:

Screw what the Dr.'s, go get wet....and again you can buddy with me if you meet my criteria :)

Most people being fat doesnt make it the right shape! Just the most popular......in the USA.

Tiggs:
Most people being fat doesnt make it the right shape! Just the most popular......in the USA.

There are certainly a lot of fat Brits out there and you guys don't make many qualms about letting it all hang out either. I think a lot of those judging Americans by our fat statistics don't understand that many of our population are of different ethnic backgrounds have a different standard of body shape than what is promulgated by the media and the medical community.

http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/Obesity_Minority_Pop.shtml

Even though you probably don't realize it, your attitude is racist and offensive. I'm not fat, nor am I in a minority population, nor making excuses. There is a strong genetic factor in play here and since most people in America now live in cities and receive good nouishment, the fat storing gene has become a problem.

"There are certainly a lot of fat Brits "

i agree....i didn't mean the USA as in "only the USA"........its just that the posters on here are from there. In reality its the whole of the western world.

"many of our population are of different ethnic backgrounds have a different standard of body shape "

but be real about it...what ethnic background is fat? Most fat people are fat because they eat more than they need.....it really is as simple as that.

"racist "

is "fat" a race? from the planet Chunky? :D

"offensive"

Yep...i suppose so. But i have made it clear that each to their own. If someone is happy with their belly then i doubt knowing that Tiggs in the UK thinks its grim will stop them eating! If they are bothered by it then i hope they read this and get motivated to lug themsleves into a gym (or at least away from the fridge)

"the fat storing gene has become a problem."

the fat storing gene is fine. its the fat eating desire that is a problem. The gene is only an issue to those that overeat the wrong food and thats self control for most people.......not easy but possible.

Bottom line is if you are happy with your weight then good for you but be happy with it accepting that it is a deviation from the way nature intended - not bad, but be aware all the same. in otherwords dont kid yourself...if you are truely content great (better that than sad and skinny!)

T

ps- i used to work in a gym (can you tell? :wink:) and i saw toooooo many people that were fat and said "happy the way i am"...then lost weight and said "thank god for that....i hated being fat" - i had more respect for the people that were really happy with fat and stayed away from the gym!

redhatmama:
I think a lot of those judging Americans by our fat statistics don't understand that many of our population are of different ethnic backgrounds have a different standard of body shape than what is promulgated by the media and the medical community.

I agree, this is exactly what I'm saying.

redhatmama:
Even though you probably don't realize it, your attitude is racist and offensive. I'm not fat, nor am I in a minority population, nor making excuses. There is a strong genetic factor in play here and since most people in America now live in cities and receive good nouishment, the fat storing gene has become a problem.

To clear thing up since I used the word "minority" my demeanor was not racist nor to offend anyone. I was trying to convey the fact that in general a large portion of the population is considered to be over weight. If one has a better metabolism or lack/have a fat storing gene, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is that you treat everyone as human being regardless of what we look like.

Enuf Said!

just read the link you provided......interesting summary at the bottom of it which suggested the health issues of ethnic minorites where not physilogical but social and econmoical. if the bottom line is its people with poor education and low income that are unable to get (or dont know how to get) good food and exercise then all the more reason why someone without those factors should be able to avoid the problems.

interesting link.

T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom