Please get in shape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
I've heard Dr. Atkins, famous for his diet plan of the same name, qualified as being obese at his death.
True, though that was after all the crap the doctors at the hospital pumped into him trying to "save" him. Not the same physical condition he entered the hospital in.

Regardless I took no chances and I went off the Atkins diet when I heard it might make you slip on ice and crack your freakin' head open. :11:

Link to the actual story, including reaction from Dr. Atkin's widow: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-02-10-atkins-health_x.htm

The original obesity "story" (btw using BMI as the basis for the claim) was leaked from a "medical professional" at that hospital where Dr Atkins was being treated after his head injury. Apparently the guy was a member of the (and I quote) "Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine" which is basically a society of vegan, PETA-loving nutjobs who saw Dr Atkins as their equivalent of the anti-Christ. Pretty scary to have someone like that responsible for your medical care while you're in a coma, wouldn't you think? Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

This subject seems to be full of fat people trying to suggest that because Arnold doesnt fit a height weight chart its ok for them to eat more than they need to.

If you want a good test of body fat get your hand and grab your gut.......got some abbs there? or just got big soft rolls of fat?

If its fat then you are FAT. Now you may be able to walk up stairs all day or lug stuff around for your job but whales can swim further than all of us and they are pretty fat too.

So having established that some of you are fat the question is whether its a big deal. If you can dive safely then good luck to you......bear in mind that if theres fat round your belly then theres fat round your heart. But if you are happy to eat too much food and risk problems later in life then thats your choice....no different to any "risk" activity that you may enjoy but has dangers attached.

For me i wouldnt be fat as i think it looks gross and value my abbs above some cake!

T

oh...and i am talking to joe average so if you have some bizzare medical condition then you feel puts you outside the norm and justifies your chuncky bod then fair enough (although using shaq at 7ft1 to put down height weight charts is a little daft - theres enough reason to discredit their use, without body fat%, without needing to pick extreems that apply only to 0.00001% of people.

It's very simple.........can you or can you not swim?

Regardless of your shape, fit or condition.

I want to know:
Can you swim?
How efficient are you?
Most Important, Can you pull me out of the water?

Screw the healthy B.S.,what evey doctor and the goverment says about our health, I'll dive with you if you weight 500lb.

ICY ICE:
It's very simple.........can you or can you not swim?

Most Important, Can you pull me out of the water?

Screw the healthy B.S.,what evey doctor and the goverment says about our health, I'll dive with you if you weight 500lb.

I'll dive with you too Ice, even though I'm nowhere near 500 lbs :D

Personally.. I don't think you need to be Mr or Mrs Fitness 2005 to be a good diver, but you should be in reasonably good shape and health...

MissyP:
I'll dive with you too Ice, even though I'm nowhere near 500 lbs :D

Personally.. I don't think you need to be Mr or Mrs Fitness 2005 to be a good diver, but you should be in reasonably good shape and health...

Last time I checked your lucky to scale 100lb, I can carry you to the beach and back to car after the dive :wink: .

And I agree you need to be able to pull your own weight.

ICY ICE:
Last time I checked your lucky to scale 100lb, I can carry you to the beach and back to car after the dive :wink: .

And I agree you need to be able to pull your own weight.

Hmmm can I keep my gear on while you do that? Or do I have to send you back for it?
:D
That kind of exercise will certainly keep you in shape.. who needs to work out after that? lol

MissyP:
Hmmm can I keep my gear on while you do that? Or do I have to send you back for it?
:D
That kind of exercise will certainly keep you in shape.. who needs to work out after that? lol

With your gear on, I wouldn't have any other way.

ICY ICE:
Yep.
I used to have a coworker that looked like a regular tub-o-lard... Except he could squat 750 lbs and bench 400. Not everyone who is "normal" weight is in shape and not everyone overweight or obese is out of shape. Unfortunately though today, it's safest to assume someone is out of shape until they show otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom