Please get in shape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems like I often read posts that talk about how out of shape people are, and particularly that they are concerned they cannot do the 200 yard swim and 10 min. treading water for their OW certification because they are so out of shape.

PLEASE, PLEASE begin an exercise program and improve your cardiovascular health!! Not only for your day-to-day health, but also for your diving health. Better fitness will only improve your diving but may also keep you from a DCI hit. You will be able to carry your gear easier, you'll use less air (and have longer underwater time), you won't feel as tired after each dive, and frankly I think you'll enjoy diving more.

It's not as hard as it sounds. I let myself get very out of shape. Not overweight, but very poor cardio condition due to desk job and long hours. I just started going to the gym 3 weeks ago. One thing I'm very glad I did was to get a heart-rate-monitor. At first I just did stretching and walking the treadmill, keeping in my target heartrate for 45min. I do this 4 days per week. At first all I had to do was walk a medium pace to stay in my target zone (see I told you I was out of shape). By the end of the second week I had to jog the first mile to keep my pulse elevated. Now in my third week I have to jog a full two miles to keep my pulse up in the target zone. The change in how I feel is amazing and it hasn't been extremely hard - I just get on the treadmill and keep it going fast enough that my heart-rate monitor doesn't beep at me . At 2 miles I get off, do some stretching and 30 minutes of light weight machine work. Total time in the gym is just 60 minutes, and I feel so much better than I did just a month ago. It has also reduced back-pain I've been dealing with considerably.

-Ben

Doc Intrepid:
I got popcorn and a front row seat.

This is going to be great....

:bang: ROFLMAO!!!

Okay, I will share my exercise program with you:
WDDDWV: Washing down Ding Dongs with Vodka. Hey, it's exercise...do you know how hard it is to stuff ding dongs in your mouth AND heft that bottle up to your mouth at the same time???

And the great thing about this exercise program is, every time others find out about my exercise equiptment they are more than willing to help lug my gear if I just share my equipment. See?? Win Win

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom