Please get in shape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you get your heart-rate monitor? What brand?.. details I want the details.. :)

airsix:
It's not as hard as it sounds. I let myself get very out of shape. Not overweight, but very poor cardio condition due to desk job and long hours. I just started going to the gym 3 weeks ago. One thing I'm very glad I did was to get a heart-rate-monitor. At first I just did stretching and walking the treadmill, keeping in my target heartrate for 45min. I do this 4 days per week. At first all I had to do was walk a medium pace to stay in my target zone (see I told you I was out of shape). By the end of the second week I had to jog the first mile to keep my pulse elevated. Now in my third week I have to jog a full two miles to keep my pulse up in the target zone. The change in how I feel is amazing and it hasn't been extremely hard - I just get on the treadmill and keep it going fast enough that my heart-rate monitor doesn't beep at me . At 2 miles I get off, do some stretching and 30 minutes of light weight machine work. Total time in the gym is just 60 minutes, and I feel so much better than I did just a month ago. It has also reduced back-pain I've been dealing with considerably.

-Ben

Swimming and being in shape are very, very different issues.

My son-in-law is in very good shape. He was a wrestler in high school and college and is one of the people that struggled with the OW swim and water tread tests. In fact, he is so negatively bouyant, that I saw him sink with a three mm suiit with his lungs full of air. He just completed the PADI rescue diver class and did well. Again, a 3 mm suit and a weight belt with NO weight on it. His buddy had considerable problems keeping him at the surface during the uncoscious victime scenario because without his bc, he kept sinking. He is a skinny guy in very good shape that cannot swim well, but is a very good diver. When I dive with him, I worry much less than when diving with my wife and daughter, who are excellent swimmers, very good divers and in excellent shape (my daughter trains for marathon runs, and my wife jogs regularly). I'm also a poor swimmer, but in good shape, not from exercise, but from hard physical labor (roofing, etc) but do not swim all that well. I worked hard to pass the PADI Divemaster stamina tests and consider myself an accomplished diver, though not a good swimmer, and I'm not obese and way out of shape. I carry my gear and my wife's to where we need it and I'm in my 50's.

I read once that comparing swimming and diving was like comparing a marathon run with a walk through a museum. Swimmng and diving don't connect. Comfort in the water and diving do connect, but it's no the same.

OK. I'll shut up now. Someone pass the popcorn.

Mike

Randy43068:
Where did you get your heart-rate monitor? What brand?.. details I want the details.. :)
Search the web for Polar heart rate monitor, I have the Polar M32.

For those of you interested, here's a shameless plug for my other favorite website:
http://www.crossfit.com/
It's a general no nonsense fitness regime that really works. They have what they call a Workout Of the Day, or WOD. Everyday there's a different workout. Some days it's mostly cardio, others it's strength, and still others a combination.
Like airsix, I have a desk job, and was in really poor shape. Started bicycling first and that helped, but when I discovered Crossfit and started following their methods, my fitness skyrocketed. At 46, I can out perform a lot of 20 year olds at many things, including swimming.
A lot of folks there are soldiers, special forces, cops, firemen, etc. People whose lives depend upon fitness. And they also happen to be really nice folks. Stop in, have a look see.

I read the thread being referrenced with regard to people thinking they're too out of shape for the 200 yard/meter swim. This is more nerves talking than anything else. They don't really know what to expect so they envision standing on one end of a pool and seeing some flyspeck of a person some ungodly distance away and thinking they have to swim it like Mark Spitz. All the while they don't realize that a mannatee can swim 200 yards. Might take awhile, but technically it would still pass the requirement.

As for being in good shape over all, sure, why not? It's not like being in better shape is a bad thing.

Now somebody pass me the twinkies and the chocolate milk.

LOL. I have to share some of my experiences with overweight divers on this thread. In my OW class 3 years ago there was an overweight guy (about 350 lbs.) in the class. He couldn't swim the required laps and couldn't tread water. He was severely out of shape. Guess what? They let him go through the class because he had already bought about $400 worth of equipment from the dive shop. Cha-ching$$$$$

On one of my recent trips there was a 400 lb woman that was part of our dive group. Not only was she overweight but she has asthma. I would think both those conditions are contraindicators to dive. It actually took close to 40lbs of weight to get her to sink. This was warm water mind you and not a thick wetsuit. :jump013:

Which weighs more: 22 lbs of lead or 22 lbs of fat tissue?

kabluton:
LOL. I have to share some of my experiences with overweight divers on this thread. In my OW class 3 years ago there was an overweight guy (about 350 lbs.) in the class. He couldn't swim the required laps and couldn't tread water....
How could he possibly sink???? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom