Please get in shape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is my scenario, you tell me if I am fit or not to dive.

I am 5'11" and weigh close to 300lbs. According to current medicine, I am obese (based on height vs weight calculations) YET I can run and swim circles around any guy who is in the target rate based on that same study. Granted I have some "bioprene" on my body but also plenty of muscle under that, I can swim a full pool length almost all the way holding my breath, have no problems with stairs or gear (carry my doubles in one hand) or work in general. My cholesterol and blood pressures are perfectly normal, sugar is fine, have better air consumption then a 5' 80lb lady - yet I am considered out of shape and obese. Why?

How is that? So when "studies" like this come out I simply laugh at them. They are targeted towards people or are made on the general population that is simply fat with nothing under it......so the way I look at it, is as long as you feel fine and don't die from getting into your suit, you are just fine!!!!

thanks, my $0.02

Tamas:

I am 5'11" and weigh close to 300lbs. According to current medicine, I am obese (based on height vs weight calculations) YET I can run and swim circles around any guy who is in the target rate based on that same study. Granted I have some "bioprene" on my body but also plenty of muscle under that, I can swim a full pool length almost all the way holding my breath, have no problems with stairs or gear (carry my doubles in one hand) or work in general. My cholesterol and blood pressures are perfectly normal, sugar is fine, have better air consumption then a 5' 80lb lady - yet I am considered out of shape and obese. Why?

How is that? So when "studies" like this come out I simply laugh at them. They are targeted towards people or are made on the general population that is simply fat with nothing under it......so the way I look at it, is as long as you feel fine and don't die from getting into your suit, you are just fine!!!!

thanks, my $0.02

I'll agree with that. Those stupid Body Mass Index tables don't really take into account anyone who packs on muscle through bodybuilding. I am 5' 9" and 205 pounds. I lifted weights religiously all through college and have recently returned to doing it. I have more muscle than the average person. I will agree that my ideal weight is probably somewhere around 185 to 190 but not the ridiculous weight suggested by the BMI. I want to say off the top of my head that it is somewhere around 160 to 165 lbs. LOL. I haven't weighed that since high school and I was a freaking beanpole then.

Keith

Tamas,

I had the same exact questions.
Read my thread in Florida> Florida Conch Divers> "Ok I'm biting the bullet"

It might be helpful and answer some of your questions. I will say one other thing, you will not find better support than this community on Scubaboard. Everyone you speak with willl give you honest and upfront answers to your questions. The encouragement is overwhelming and you will feel secure in whatever decisions you choice to make.

I wish you the best of luck!

Tricia

Tamas:

thanks, my $0.02

kabluton:
I'll agree with that. Those stupid Body Mass Index tables don't really take into account anyone who packs on muscle through bodybuilding. I am 5' 9" and 205 pounds. I lifted weights religiously all through college and have recently returned to doing it. I have more muscle than the average person. I will agree that my ideal weight is probably somewhere around 185 to 190 but not the ridiculous weight suggested by the BMI. I want to say off the top of my head that it is somewhere around 160 to 165 lbs. LOL. I haven't weighed that since high school and I was a freaking beanpole then.

Keith

Here's an interesting perspective on overweight, obese, and the role of the BMI in defining what is considered "healthy" today ...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/sick2.html

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Randy43068:
Where did you get your heart-rate monitor? What brand?.. details I want the details.. :)

It's a Polar brand monitor. They have several models ranging from "basic addition" all the way to "quantum physics". Even the basic models do what you'll need in most cases. I'd look for one that lets you set and SAVE a target zone, and gives an audible signal if you go above or below the target. Those are the most imporant features for me personally. Expect to pay $80-100 for a mid-range model, $40-50 for a base model.

Where it has helped me most is I'm learning to change how I work out. Before using the monitor I worked out with too much intensity and would get exhausted too quickly. The monitor is helping me learn to pace myself better and it's really made a difference in that regard.

-Ben M.

triciask:
Tamas,

I had the same exact questions.
Read my thread in Florida> Florida Conch Divers> "Ok I'm biting the bullet"

It might be helpful and answer some of your questions. I will say one other thing, you will not find better support than this community on Scubaboard. Everyone you speak with willl give you honest and upfront answers to your questions. The encouragement is overwhelming and you will feel secure in whatever decisions you choice to make.

I wish you the best of luck!

Tricia

Thanks, mine was rhetorical question since I already know the answer to it. After all I am diving and still alive.......it just boggles the mind to see some 'professionals' out there blinded and forced by drug companies to label people based on a stupid number.

Tamas:
Thanks, mine was rhetorical question since I already know the answer to it. After all I am diving and still alive.......it just boggles the mind to see some 'professionals' out there blinded and forced by drug companies to label people based on a stupid number.

Note in the article I linked ... according to the BMI, NBA star Shaquille O'Neal is obese ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most of the push comes from insurance companies for BMI's. I was in the Army for fourteen years. I was involuntarily enrolled as a charter member of the "fat boy club". I was 6'1' and 225lbs. According to the insurance industry tables, I was to weight 197. I had to have a waiver every year when I was up for promotion. I ran 30 miles a week, and couldn't get away from it. Today I am 6'1" 245 and bulked up from lifting.

There are always exceptions to the rule, like you, Tamas.

By the way, my company is rolling out a new smoke cessation drug, that has the added benefit of weigh loss, without gaining it back.... :D

Jack

Tamas:

Anyone who gauges whether people are obese or overweight or underweight based on some completely ludicrous made up chart is just not using their head. According to BMI charts virtually every professional athlete is obese. Wouldn't you all like to be professional athletes?

I'm 6' tall and 220 lbs. According to BMI I'm obese. I challenge all comers in any sporting event you choose and I'll beat you in any of them. Basketball, football, baseball, volleyball, soccer, cycling, swimming... you get the idea.

Want to know what kind of shape you're in... do the 200 yard swim test then tread water for 15 minutes immediately after... if you can do that, you're in good enough shape to dive.

Ken Barrick

jbliesath:
Most of the push comes from insurance companies for BMI's. I was in the Army for fourteen years. I was involuntarily enrolled as a charter member of the "fat boy club". I was 6'1' and 225lbs. According to the insurance industry tables, I was to weight 197. I had to have a waiver every year when I was up for promotion. I ran 30 miles a week, and couldn't get away from it. Today I am 6'1" 245 and bulked up from lifting.

There are always exceptions to the rule, like you, Tamas.

By the way, my company is rolling out a new smoke cessation drug, that has the added benefit of weigh loss, without gaining it back.... :D

Jack

Back
Top Bottom