Please get in shape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
it just boggles the mind to see some 'professionals' out there blinded and forced by drug companies to label people based on a stupid number.

Actually, in this instance, it's life insurance companies and not drug companies. The cutoffs are based purely on actuarial survival data and don't really take general health and quality of life into account. There was a guy a year ahead of me in medical school who was a competitive bodybuilder who was in the Army reserve. Every time he had an active duty stint he had to stop exercising for a few weeks to let his weight drop to within the Army Weight Management Program limits for his height. He may have been a lot of things, but fat was not one of them.

mstevens:
Actually, in this instance, it's life insurance companies and not drug companies. The cutoffs are based purely on actuarial survival data and don't really take general health and quality of life into account. . . . .

Okay, if we have to go there the tables are only the starting place in establishing mortality. For a fascinating discussion, see

http://www.actuarialstandardsboard.org/pdf/asops/asop040_075.pdf

[***Warning! Thread hijacking in progress!***]

Tamas:
Here is my scenario, you tell me if I am fit or not to dive.

I am 5'11" and weigh close to 300lbs. According to current medicine, I am obese (based on height vs weight calculations) YET I can run and swim circles around any guy who is in the target rate based on that same study. Granted I have some "bioprene" on my body but also plenty of muscle under that, I can swim a full pool length almost all the way holding my breath, have no problems with stairs or gear (carry my doubles in one hand) or work in general. My cholesterol and blood pressures are perfectly normal, sugar is fine, have better air consumption then a 5' 80lb lady - yet I am considered out of shape and obese. Why?

How is that? So when "studies" like this come out I simply laugh at them. They are targeted towards people or are made on the general population that is simply fat with nothing under it......so the way I look at it, is as long as you feel fine and don't die from getting into your suit, you are just fine!!!!

thanks, my $0.02

I totally agree with Tamas. I, too, am also a "big boy" @ 295. My scenario is that I had a motorcycle wreck at 15 and, among other things, crushed my left leg and borke several ribs, puncturing my left lung. I have since had 27 surgeries to repair the damage done. After two hip replacements (same side, ten years apart), one knee, and a total ankle fusion, I cannot run or bicycle very well at all, but I try. Paintball requires short burst sprinting, which I can do. I also had a PE from a blood clot after an ankle surgery. I follow my pulmonologists instructions (he dives also, BTW) and I was able to get back in the water.

I swim like a wounded seal (scary huh?), but I can swim and dive and do everything I am considered obese by all standards, but even my regular doctor openly admits that I am in better "shape" than two thirds of his patients.

I may not be able to match you skinny boys at pull ups, but I can pick you up and carry you a mile, jump in the deep end and drag you under. :D

i am also fat and only did my ow when i was 45. I had no problem with the swim or the float in fact i dont have any problem at all. I dont excersize much and refuse to diet, just because skinny people find me gross. My doctor says i am quite fit and well. fat people are beautiful too. there ive added my 2 cents worth

I know I am overweight at 5'7 and 235 pounds but, I work out on a daily basis and had NO problem completing my physical requirements for my OW certification when I was 90 pounds heavier than I am now.

Everyone knows you feel better (dive better?) if you exercise on a regular basis but, it all comes down to a personal choice. Are you happy with your physical fitness level or not?

The insurance tables are junk and I work in insurance! :wink:

BrianS:
Do your friends let you go in first when you do shark dives?

:crafty:

:hai:

that's me!

:D

So what you are telling me is that you have to swim 200yards in 10 mins that seems like a walk in the park I think I could do that plus take a small break for a soda in that amount of time. Back in the day I could swim almost 100 yards on one breath. We had to swim the 100 yards at the YMCA to be able to dive off the diving boards my cousin at the time was about 12 and he did the whole 100 yards under water on one breath I think the life guard was impressed by this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom