PLEASE don't rent mopeds...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, IMO - the rest of this entire thread is gibberish (aside from Christi's first post) all arguing how safe/unsafe mopeds are? Puhleaseeee you ALL need a vacation :wink: Myself included....

How many more days....

Mawg:
I dont even want to get into the Mo-ped controversy. I've seen too many people/pods/tourists wreck those things. I dont think they are safe ANYWHERE on this planet. I just got back from Coz yesterday and I'm trying to catch up/ recoop. I came by Caribe Blu on the 18th. Gordon and spoke to your wife, I think, briefly, waved some caution tape at her. She said you were out fishing.I Couldnt make it back.I had an experience with a dive operator that I would like to share with you all but I also want to post 3 pics that illustrate what happened. I dont know how to post pics here. Could someone help? I will probably never dive with these people again. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I don't think that there is any controversy on the original point, which is that drinking gringo scooter newbies should not rent "mopeds" on Cozumel.

Carol said someone came by and waved the SB signal at her on Wednesday (the Day of the Sailfish); sorry I missed you.

On the page where I am entering this, in a box marked "Additional Options", I see a "Manage Attachments" button. Perhaps that is how one attaches pix?

GPdiver:
Son and Daughter of Sergio Chac

OH..ok...I know who he is, but I wouldn't call him one of my "on call" divemasters. I've used him twice in three years :) Pedro and Javier are my "A" team/ full time divemasters/instructors and next on the list is Allen, who is also an excellent DM/Instructor...I just don't have a full time position for him at this point. He works a couple of days a week to relieve Pedro and Javier or when I need a third.

Dive doggie and Cozoholic...and Swarth too...thank you...yes, my post was to serve as a reminder of how dangerous mopeds are...and to avoid vacation tragedy by renting cars or using taxis instead of renting mopeds...not to start a flame war or to pass judgment on the locals for thier way of life...which is how Swarth's post came across with his word choices, which of course may not have been your intention.

So, my final thought remains...PLEASE don't rent mopeds on vacation!!!!! It's just not worth it!

peace :)

Christi:
Tragedy strikes again with a fatal moped accident involving a tourist.

I don't have all of the details at this point, but so far what I have heard is that she was traveling on the wrong side of the highway, just in front of the Caleta near the Presidente Hotel and was struck by a bus. She was pronounced dead on the scene. this happened between 5:00 and 6:00 pm today.

I know this sounds hypocritical coming from me since I DO own a moped and ride it to and from the office most of the time, but there really is a difference in someone renting a moped and a local who owns and maintains one and who is familiar with the roads, etc.

I BEG you not to rent mopeds while you're here. A car is not that much more and provides much more protection in the unfortunate case you have an accident.

Peace and love!
Christi

I ABSOLUTELY agree with Christi!!!!! We see it at LEAST once a week - not always fatal, but really, really bad stuff! Christi is just like me - we really become attached to our clients and fellow board members, and anything we can do to keep you guys around and safe - we do it! Anyone of you that has been into my store knows if you ask me about rentals I PLEAD with you not to rent a scooter!!! Armando (my hubby) drives one, Christi drives one - I will ride with Armando, but will NEVER drive one!!!!! The things I see terrify me. I always worry about Armando & Christi! By the way Christi - when is that truck happening?????!!!!! :)
Rent cars not scooters - that's my mantra!!!!!
Hugs to you all!

Photocoz:
I always worry about Armando & Christi! By the way Christi - when is that truck happening?????!!!!! :)
Rent cars not scooters - that's my mantra!!!!!
Hugs to you all!

Soon, soon, soon!!! Probably not before you return, but SOON! I'm tempted to stop waiting for the one I REALLY want and buy the one they have on the Ford lot right now!

Christi:
Soon, soon, soon!!! Probably not before you return, but SOON! I'm tempted to stop waiting for the one I REALLY want and buy the one they have on the Ford lot right now!

There's a Ford dealership on Cozumel?

ggunn:
There's a Ford dealership on Cozumel?

Yes, we have a Ford, Chevrolet and Voltswagon dealership.

The Ford dealership is new, a year or so old and is at the corner of 30th and 11th. It's really just a lot with demos and a very small office. The Chevy dealership is back on 30th in the residential area at the southern end of town and they actually have a showroom and a service center. Voltswagon is on airport road and i think they have a service center too. Ford credit and GMAC offer finincing as well which they didn't used to and is good because the banks are offering competitve finance rates. A hefty down payment (35 to 40% minimum) and a high interest rate (12% to 14%) apply though. I haven't run the numbers, but the higher finance rate may not be that big of a deal since financing less due to the high down payment would mean a 24 or 36 month plan vs a 48 or 60 month payment schedule.

I REALLY want a Chevy Colorado (which just became available in Mexico), but may end up with the Ford Ranger Crew Cab due to availability and finances of course...decisions, decisions.

I work for a Ford Dealer In Texas. I saw the Ford Dealership There in 2002. That is where I saw my first new T-Bird, in Coz. Before we had one. That amazed me. Came home and bragged about being the first to see one. NO one believed me. They said I was full af B.S. Oh well the pictures told all.

Yes, that's me in the attached photo. I road race all summer and I'm not sure I would chance a scooter in Coz! I was in condition red just walking around and especially crossing the street. I've been to Bermuda 3 times and survived a week of scooter riding all over the island each time, but I felt safer there even with the "wrong side of the road" issue than I would have felt in Coz.

aa

but I just read this on a Cozumel related travel board, written by my friend Trudy. She is not a diver...so she was not a part of this thread.

my friend Trudy:
There truly are a horrendous number of moped accidents on the island...tourist and local alike. You see people on mopeds with little or no control. They should not be permitted. If you don´t regularly ride a moped at home, then it is not a wise idea here. With the small dimensions of the wheels, there is so much less control than on a motorcycle and less power to get yourself out of tough spots. But I can hear ya now...not me! I´m an excellent driver and I can handle myself. Well, ya, me too. I used to trail ride and hill climb. But I don´t rent mopeds here. It´s a whole different experience here.

When is the last time you were driving down the road and a wild pig ran out of the woods? Well, it happened here and the riders went down. While they were still in the road a taxi driver came upon them and didn´t have time to swerve. One less tourist on the island. One family devastated...or two...I´m sure the taxista felt horrible as well.

Just this week my neighbor came home to tell that she had passed a vehicle with a moped completely under the chassis. The people had already been taken away, but it was obvious it was not a simple crash.

Later the same day the road was closed for an hour or so. A newlywed couple pulled in front of a Fiesta Americana employee bus. That´s a BIG bus. The new bride didn´t survive and the new groom was airvacked out. Not the planned honeymoon of your dreams.

I feel so badly for these people. Tragedies occur every day in all sorts of ways. But some...some, can be avoided. A car is so much safer. A fender bender may cost you...but not likely to cost you your life.

I know how great it feels to feel the wind in your hair as you drive around this spectacular island paradise. The vistas are to die for...but not in the literal aspect of the phrase.

Please, rent a car and stop at the side of the road to experience those vistas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom