PLEASE don't rent mopeds...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
Whatever. Anybody read any good books lately? ;^)

YES! As a matter of fact..."A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett is some nice escapism and I just finished the book of JOB in the Bible...I know...opposite ends of the spectrum.

Swarth is really a great guy...I hope that you all don't flame too hard about his observations. The choice to use the word "crazy" instead of " unusual" to an American, doesn't mean that he is trying to demean an entire culture...
We do all have the right to make observations!
And...yes a great book was recently read called "Modoc." Its about the greatest elephant that ever lived...it is an amazing story, and true.

Sorry to continue the hi-jack above....lets remember the original intent...there was a tragedy, and we should help prevent more tragedies by avoiding mo-peds on Coz!

Cristi well said and thought out. I may not entirely agree with you, but I respect your opinion on this. Dive doggie, thanks for covering my back, and you are wiser than I . I will admit (perhaps :wink: ) a poor choice of words. I certainly wasn't trying to demean any culture. My observations and study of the Mayan history has shown me a fiercely tenacious people, to be admired for its persistance in the face of more hardship than I could imagine. Two weeks on vacation and my Wife read two books, my Daughter 4 bookks, my mother in Law 2 books and me? None, nada, could be my problem.

I have to agree mopeds are stupid. With those little wheels, you hit a big bug and the front wheel will hop out on you. Dirt bikes. You need like a CR, KX or YZ 125 or 250. 21 inch front wheel and these things have 12 inch travel in the forks and back shock. YOu can hop right over a cat, dog...even a goat....no problem. AND they're so fricken loud if you're on the pipe, everyone will hear you coming.

Hank49:
I have to agree mopeds are stupid. With those little wheels, you hit a big bug and the front wheel will hop out on you. Dirt bikes. You need like a CR, KX or YZ 125 or 250. 21 inch front wheel and these things have 12 inch travel in the forks and back shock. YOu can hop right over a cat, dog...even a goat....no problem. AND they're so fricken loud if you're on the pipe, everyone will hear you coming.

Yeah, Baby !! Chicks dig my ride :D

ggunn:
Hmmm. Well, I personally won't go to someone else's country and label what they are doing to subsist as "crazy". I submit that when you see a family of 4 going down the road on a single scooter, you can't possibly have a clue as to the factors in their lives that put them there. It's hubris to assume the position to pass judgement on what they are doing.

Cozumel may be relatively prosperous, but that certainly does not mean that everyone there is participating in that prosperity. Have you been back in the residential areas away from the commercial zones? I have; I've even been invited into some of their houses. Seeing what I have seen, I won't criticize whatever they feel they have do to scrape by.

Peace,

I dont even want to get into the Mo-ped controversy. I've seen too many people/pods/tourists wreck those things. I dont think they are safe ANYWHERE on this planet. I just got back from Coz yesterday and I'm trying to catch up/ recoop. I came by Caribe Blu on the 18th. Gordon and spoke to your wife, I think, briefly, waved some caution tape at her. She said you were out fishing.I Couldnt make it back.I had an experience with a dive operator that I would like to share with you all but I also want to post 3 pics that illustrate what happened. I dont know how to post pics here. Could someone help? I will probably never dive with these people again. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

GPdiver:
Now were talkin
Hey can you ride a two up stand up on that scooter?
how about stoppies?

Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about. I can barely walk, and chew gum at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom