PLEASE don't rent mopeds...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have refused to rent scooters when the family asks and have consistently advised those I know to avoid them. Nothing ruins a vacation like being dead.

Thats horrible. I can see how easily it could happen. I have rented mopeds on Crete, and other Greek isles, as well as Coz, in the past, and on this last trip. It is definitely a huge risk. My girlfriend is very capable, but I insisted that we ride together on one.
The best insurance is NOT to rent!

diverdann:
I would not call it, "local's insanity," as their transportation methods are limited to what they have access to. Defininetly a culture shock. You may think, "I would never take my children with me on a scooter, because it is way too dangerous" but you are not in their situation. The majority of people in Quintana Roo (Sp?) live at what we in the U.S. consider below the poverty line. They do not have the option of getting everyone into the mini-van or into the Hummer. Most of the locals are operating on a survival mode. They need to work to feed their families, run errands, and all that other good stuff. Cramming several people onto a scooter is simply part of everyday life due to the limited number of options they have.

As far as mopeds/scooters go, I would say, if you are unfamiliar with the area, and have no motorcycle experience, then don't do it. However, as mentioned above, motorcyclist ride with a different frame of mind. We constantly scan for hazards learn the limits of our bikes, and ride within them. I feel comfortable riding a scooter or motorcycle in Coz. I have riden a motorcycle in many heavily populated areas including Mexico City, Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta, etc.. But of course, it takes skills and familiarity with the area.

I have seen so many tourist on scooters in Coz thinking that they are toys, riding on the sidewalks, into one-way streets on the opposite side, intoxicated, etc. Maybe this is why you hear more about tourist getting into accidents than the locals.

Very good explanation.

Although of course it is not safe for the locals to put their entire families on one moped, it is a way of life and the only means of transportation most can afford. Taxi's aren't even an option for many because if you add up an $8 round trip taxi fare on a daily basis, that cuts deeply into the disposable income of many Cozumel families.

I have to respectfully disagree with you as far as comparing mortorcycles with mopeds. Mopeds are actually much more dangerous than a true motorcycle. They have little tiny tires and they don't weigh very much. Hit a pothole going 30mph and you go flying...I've also seen tourists on them going too fast and not being familiar with where the topes (speedhumps) are...I saw one hit a tope going 30 or 40mph and went flying. She landed on the curb with her face and busted her head/face open...it was a horrifying thing to see.

I also witnessed another accident last year with a tourist who was clearly unsure how to operate the moped. I was in front of Puerta maya, one of the ship terminals. I was two cars behind a taxi van. The girl on the moped was in the moped lane after just being handed the keys. She accellerated, lost control, jumped the median with the moped and went broadside right into the side of the taxi van at full speed...the van was moving at about 30mph as well. It appeared that she was accelerating rather than braking. I don't know if she made it...she had severe head injuries for sure.

This most recent and tragic accident as it turns out, actually involved a very young couple on one moped. The boy is in critical condition, the girl (22 years old) as I said was killed. It seems that this was another clear example of tourists not knowing where they are going or what they are doing and not paying attention.

They were reportedly going very fast, lost control and crossed the center line on the main highway, where they shouldn't have been to begin with. The bus driver honked his horn and attempted to stop, but was unable to miss them. They (couple on the moped) were coming from the south, so had most likely been visiting the local beaches. I have not heard whether alcohol was involved. The photos in the paper and on the local news were gruesome...you think sensationalism is bad in the states? you should see the pictures and video footage they show of things here.

For those who haven't seen this, I am going to post it again. This list is compliments of my friend Sally www.barefootincozumel.com (small plug for her there :) It's such a great list that I actually hand it out to my customers in their welcome packet!

Please, please, please do NOT rent a scooter. Everyday here in Cozumel, people are scraped up off the roads as a result of moped accidents.

Sally's Top Ten Reasons Not to Rent a Moped:

10. Most Cozumel streets are one way, except where they aren't.

9. Most north-south streets have the right of way, except where they don't.

8. Patches of gravel appear in the most unlikely spots, making it easy to skid and topple.

7. The brakes on most of the rentals are not in "perfect" condition.

6. Beautiful seaside vistas take your breath away, and your attention off the road.

5. Many tourists have just been to Carlos 'n' Charlie's and are now behind the wheel of a car.

4. Taxis are racing to see how many fares they can transport in one day.

3. Mopeds have a short wheel base which makes them less maneuverable than, say, a motorcycle. (That's for all of you thinking that if you have a motorcycle license, a moped is a piece of cake.)

2. Mopeds do not have adequate acceleration to get you out of a potentially dangerous situation. (Again, for the motorcyclists out there, you understand what I mean.)

1. Given 2-10, a little road rash is enough to ruin any vacation, but going home in a box falls into another category.

Please be safe, spend a little more and surround yourself with a rental car. Return from your vacation in one piece. Mopeds are not an adventure, they are a danger.

My heart nearly stopped when I read this post. After my recent accident in Coz I just thank God that I was in a car and the people I had the accident with were also. I pray every day for them and hope they are doing fine.

The day of the accident they checked out ok, but as anyone knows when your in a car wreck the next day is when you really feel it.

Please everyone heed Christi's plea, I am one of the most defensive drivers there is, my wife sometimes thinks too defensive, if that's possible, and I had an accident down there, so none of us are immune to it.

Christi:
For those who haven't seen this, I am going to post it again. This list is compliments of my friend Sally www.barefootincozumel.com (small plug for her there :) It's such a great list that I actually hand it out to my customers in their welcome packet!

Please, please, please do NOT rent a scooter. Everyday here in Cozumel, people are scraped up off the roads as a result of moped accidents.

Sally's Top Ten Reasons Not to Rent a Moped:

10. Most Cozumel streets are one way, except where they aren't.

9. Most north-south streets have the right of way, except where they don't.

8. Patches of gravel appear in the most unlikely spots, making it easy to skid and topple.

7. The brakes on most of the rentals are not in "perfect" condition.

6. Beautiful seaside vistas take your breath away, and your attention off the road.

5. Many tourists have just been to Carlos 'n' Charlie's and are now behind the wheel of a car.

4. Taxis are racing to see how many fares they can transport in one day.

3. Mopeds have a short wheel base which makes them less maneuverable than, say, a motorcycle. (That's for all of you thinking that if you have a motorcycle license, a moped is a piece of cake.)

2. Mopeds do not have adequate acceleration to get you out of a potentially dangerous situation. (Again, for the motorcyclists out there, you understand what I mean.)

1. Given 2-10, a little road rash is enough to ruin any vacation, but going home in a box falls into another category.

Please be safe, spend a little more and surround yourself with a rental car. Return from your vacation in one piece. Mopeds are not an adventure, they are a danger.

Can I add one more? Both times I rented a scooter one set of brakes were disconnected... I can't remember if it was front or back. When I asked why I was told to keep it from fishtailing if you hit the brakes too hard. They told me the Gringo's who have no experience on them would wipe out all the time by braking too hard.

I ride motorcycles and let me tell you, riding a scooter is much scarier!

Christi

I completely agree with you in that tourist should not rent scooters/mopeds or even cars if they are unfamiliar with the area. That is what I meant to say.

However, I think that those who are familiar with the area, know the rules of the road, and know how streets run, where pot holes are located, and how to maneuver a moped/scooter, well its not as bad to drive or ride. Of course there is always a risk of accidents. But we have those risks in the U.S. too. Just last week here in L.A. I read a story on the Times about a man who traded in his civic for an Excursion because it was safer, but was killed on that truck a week later. What a tragedy!

When I first read this post I felt saddened for the injured people. However, preaching to people not to engage in a certain activity (mopeds) because of its risks, reminds me of all of those who are against diving due to its inherent risks as well. We all know that there are many accidents and even deaths as a result of diving. But this is not a reason to stop diving, rather, it is a reason to promote safety and education.

I am not trying to start a fight here or disrespect anyone, my intentions were simply to share my perspective on this issue.

I would just suggest to everyone to be very careful when traveling to maximize their vacation experience. Take an enthnographic approach to everything before assuming that you know how everything is done. The culture of Coz is definetly different from things in other parts of the world, this includes commuting. So look, listen, observe, and enjoy. Have fun fellas

Well I stand by what I said, it is Insanity. Partly because of all the tourists that are on the road and mostly because its just plain not safe. While in Mexico I certainly appreciated the attitude of personal responsibilty. You want to ride in the back of an uncovered pick up, go ahead, but assume the risk. Same with riding 4 on a scooter at night on a vehicle in poor repair and no lights, to me that's not desperation and it's certainly not a recipe for "survival" mode. As far of the rest of your explaination, please spare me your patronizing remarks about Hummers and having to work to feed their families, what here in the US we have free food and housing??. Cozumel, while any idiot would realize is not the US, is however a very prosperous area compared to the rest of Mexico. My point was in my view, given the circumstances, the choice to ride four on a scooter is not wise. However I would also say that anyone who rides a motorcycle anywhere on US highways is short a few flapjacks of a full stack. So please take it at face value, I'm not looking to crusade to force the poor downtrodden people out of their scooters. I was just stating my opinion.

Christi,

Good advise. As noted in the local papers, the next most dangerous thing to do on holidays is parasail. Stay away from that, though not life threatening, it tends to result in broken bones.

Dennis

Swarth:
As far of the rest of your explaination, please spare me your patronizing remarks about Hummers and having to work to feed their families, what here in the US we have free food and housing??. Cozumel, while any idiot would realize is not the US, is however a very prosperous area compared to the rest of Mexico. My point was in my view, given the circumstances, the choice to ride four on a scooter is not wise. However I would also say that anyone who rides a motorcycle anywhere on US highways is short a few flapjacks of a full stack. So please take it at face value, I'm not looking to crusade to force the poor downtrodden people out of their scooters. I was just stating my opinion.
Some people need to quit while they're ahead... have you ventured more than 2 blocks in from the waterfront? The standard of living is nowhere even close to the U.S. Better than some areas of Mexico, but you're kidding yourself if you think that everyone on Cozumel has a cush job.

I'll self-edit myself on your motorcycle comment.

My part-time job is Fixed Wing Air Ambulance, we are constantly going to Cancun and Cozumel to Air evac Americans who have become sick or injured while on vacation. I would definitely agree with all of the advice in this thread. I have brought back some people who were very screwed up from vacation mishaps, although the healthcare in Cozumel is better than in most areas, it's still not the US. Buy trip insurance, don't go on a cruise if you're ill (having emergency surgery in a foreign country is not what I would wish on my enemies), if you have a sedentary lifestyle being on vacation does not mean you can endure strenuous activity; having even a minor heart attack outside the US where definitive medical treatment and medications are readily availible, can be very detrimental (time=muscle). While in Mexico you are entitled to the best medical care you can afford, and they will charge you for everything down to the toilet paper in the room, that must be paid before you can even think of leaving. Once again buy trip insurance, join DAN, the $70 a year is worth MY life. Just my 2c.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom