Please delete my account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I can see it isn't possible for normal users to delete anything which is over 24 hours old, and it appears those recent posts can only be edited. Which makes the "just delete your content" answer completely worthless.

So is there actually a method I can use in order to do this?

Why do you need to delete anything in order to extricate yourself? Just don't point your web browser to scubaboard.com anymore.

Having deleted messages that are part of a conversation really sucks for those of us who enjoy the site.

No. I've just been gradually getting tired of the toxicity, and finally decided that ScubaBoard simply isn't worth the effort.
If you want “toxic” try starting an “oil” thread on a motorcycle forum. Then relax, crack open a beer, and enjoy the mayhem.

If you want “toxic” try starting an “oil” thread on a motorcycle forum. Then relax, crack open a beer, and enjoy the mayhem.

I haven't wandered down that road yet but am very curious what you mean now! Is this a viscosity debate on whether deviating from the recommended oil is fine or not, or what viscosity should be used depending on temperature/season, or is it synthetic vs. natural vs. blend? I keep it simple...I tell my mechanic aka dive buddy aka significant other to just put what they recommend in it. I only have to worry about the chain cleaning and lubing. :) He does the rest. :D

The OP's post feels like a breakup letter except it's not the "it's not you, it's me"....it's "it's all you, not me at all". Sorry we broke your heart.

Sorry for the confusion. You're given 24 hours to edit your content and then that's it. Whatever you post to the community, belongs to the community.

I have no idea why you think ScubaBoard is "toxic" and I don't recall you ever reporting users and/or posts to help us identify and deal with any supposed toxicity. That's OK and there's no requirement for doing so, but you're not helping yourself or other users with your silence. More often than not, toxicity is a code word for "people disagree with me". I have no idea if that's the case here, but if you post something stupid people are going to point that out. If they call you stupid and you or someone else reports it, we're going to step in and edit or delete the post(s). Sure, they can call your ideas and methodologies stupid and we won't do a thing. They can disagree with you and your reasoning all they want as long as they don't call you a derogatory name. If you post something on the interwebs, you better have your big boy underpants on.

Your reputation is yours and yours alone to protect. We'll gladly step in if someone takes it too far, starts stalking you or makes a threat but we can't and won't protect you from yourself if it gets reported. However, your reputation is entirely up to you. If you don't like the bed you've made for yourself here, you're free to go somewhere else, but we're not going to sanitize your laundry after the fact. We're not going to destroy threads just because you want to take your posts and go home. It's not fair to the community to let you do that.

So if you want to leave, just stop coming back. It's so easy just to stop clicking on the link. No need to create a "poor wittle ol' me" drama thread about how you've been maligned when you haven't reported much of anything.

Isn’t this the second time in recent memory that someone broke up with Scubaboard publicly and with much drama?

It’s not like Scubaboard is a “person”. I wonder why these breakups have to be so public and so dramatic. Why can’t the person just stop coming here? Now, if I can only find that emoji that has me scratching my head.

@The Chairman , I don't have any skin in this game but I thought I read (maybe a few months back) a process where someone's profile was removed and all posts had their username replaced with something like "anonymous/unknown/something user"?

Just curious. You are not getting rid of me right now in case you suddenly got your hopes up. :wink:

@The Chairman , I don't have any skin in this game but I thought I read (maybe a few months back) a process where someone's profile was removed and all posts had their username replaced with something like "anonymous/unknown/something user"?

Just curious. You are not getting rid of me right now in case you suddenly got your hopes up. :wink:

I seem to recall something similar ... someone who was banned ?

It happened and it sucked. I don't get upset by what my mods do in most cases as they can be reversed. That was against our policies, still is and I was pretty pissed. Fortunately, I forgive quickly.

We don't delete users. We don't delete users. We don't delete users.

I get that people don't want to be responsible for what they post but that's their problem. I looked into this a bit and my first thoughts were indeed correct: Is limited solo diving completely insane for a new diver? How dare @tursiops tell him that his instructor broke standards! Oh, the toxicity of trying to keep people safe from instructors who do the wrong thing. [/sarcasm]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom