Planning trip with family to Disney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadawg

Contributor
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Disney World in mid May, What would be the best place to get a dive in for at least one day. Im not into cave diving and dont mind a short drive if need be.

Have you ever been to the Dive Quest at Epcot? I wanna do that one day...it could be an option.

Your closest place for good diving is Palm Beach County - from the big O it will take you about 3 hours.

The diving down in PB is all drift diving; the sites are great, but its not Key Largo - the sites are deeper (60 - 85 fsw) and you will likely have current, and it can be strong. Its also some of the best diving in FL, well worth the trip.

If this looks like its something you want to do, respond back and I will be glad to suggest some excellent operators; also what is your experience level.

Ditto Palm Beach or even Fort Lauderdale another 45 minutes south. If you do not mind spring diving, you could try Ginnie Springs, Devils Den , Rainbow River, or Blue Grotto which are a couple of hours north of Orlando.

Your closest place for good diving is Palm Beach County - from the big O it will take you about 3 hours.

The diving down in PB is all drift diving; the sites are great, but its not Key Largo - the sites are deeper (60 - 85 fsw) and you will likely have current, and it can be strong. Its also some of the best diving in FL, well worth the trip.

If this looks like its something you want to do, respond back and I will be glad to suggest some excellent operators; also what is your experience level.

Been diving the local lakes since 2001. Table Rock, Norfork, BullShoals, Lake of the Ozarks(mudhole)

SSI Basic Open water, I have had the classes and dives for to cert for master just not the money or time to finish it.

Night/Low vis, Search and Recovery, Boat, Stress Rescue. For 3 years I was a Capt. of a Rescue/ Recovery dive team for a Vol.Fire dept. We got our Public Safety Diving cert through Team LGS.

You'll do fine.

You might consider Jupiter too in northern Palm Beach County.

http://www.jupiterdivecenter.com/

They require AOW and nitrox for their 3 tank trips, but you can book one of theri 2 tank ones.

JDC is a top notch operation.

You can get to Blue Grotto, Devils Den and Paradise springs within 2 hours of Orlando. Maybe 2 1/2 from the Disney area.

I dived Epcot Dive Quest last Spring on a business trip to Orlando. It was better than not diving but was disappointing. The sharks, rays, and turtles looked pretty good and were fun to dive with. Many of the reef fish lacked color and many looked mottled, had discolored areas and overall looked pretty sad. The fake reefs were pitiful. Lastly, there were several Disney divemasters in the water, and as you would expect, they were extremely controlling. The Dive Quest dive lasts for 40 minutes, you can take your own mask and wrist computer, nothing else. The cost is $140, I paid $75 on the DAN auction for my ticket. It was fun playing with the kids on the other side of the glass, they thought the divers were very entertaining.

On the other hand, I dived in Jupiter with JDC in the summer of 2007 and had a blast. The drift dives using EAN 35 lasted just short of an hour with max depths just under 80 feet. The fish life, particularly the bigger stuff (reef sharks, nurse sharks, Goliath grouper, snook..) was generally better than Key Largo. I'm still scheming on getting back there. Sounds like a very long drive from Orlando but may just be worth it. Probably not the best dives for for the less experienced

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom