Planning to do CCR. thinking of JJ-CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interested in wrecks deeper than 60m . i know of wrecks in my area at 70m-110m

im an underwater tourist šŸ˜‚
The JJ is a very well made unit that will suit your needs. If there is local support for it, could definitely be a solid choice.
The pelagian is a very regional unit, I don't know anything about it.
The sidewinder is a unique unit well suited for specific dive environments. It is not well suited for everything. I would never recommend it as a first unit.

I am partial to my O2ptima, but if there is no local support/instruction, there is no point to looking at it.

Where should one branch to CC from their OC technical training, at what course level?
@broncobowsher said CC ā€œbranches off back around the advanced nitroxā€ class.

My plan is AN/DP, possibly extended range, then CC. No reason to pay the crazy prices for OC He. Hopefully by the time I make it that far, He prices and availability are better.

Rebreather first, then trimix.
You cant train on the rb at the trimix level to start with anyway
I seeā€¦ my understanding is that after i take the 1st rebreather courseā€¦ i can apply all other tech courses like deco procedures and trimix

Sounds like a JJ is a viable option for you. Will second switching to CCR sooner. The learning curve is steep and tall. The further you go down the OC path, the further you will have to backtrack and and start over again with the rebreather. A rebreather isn't a continuation after trimix. It is a different path that branches off back around the advanced nitrox. You will be starting over again with 30-40m dives and work back up to where you are now.
Yes i understand. I was made to believe its another system ā€¦. The bouyancy is back to scratch,.

Y
The JJ is a very well made unit that will suit your needs. If there is local support for it, could definitely be a solid choice.
The pelagian is a very regional unit, I don't know anything about it.
The sidewinder is a unique unit well suited for specific dive environments. It is not well suited for everything. I would never recommend it as a first unit.

I am partial to my O2ptima, but if there is no local support/instruction, there is no point to looking at it.
yes i found 2 support for the JJ . One is very near me and is my existing instructor. While the other is an acquaintance but nevertheless still a contact.

pelagian instructor is 3hrs a way and a short boat ride.

so support is key

I seeā€¦ my understanding is that after i take the 1st rebreather courseā€¦ i can apply all other tech courses like deco procedures and trimix
Not really. Why some of it does apply, the rebreather is different enough that they are there own courses. That is where you back up to Advanced Nitrox and start over again. Having OC experience just makes the CC classes a little easier, doesn't replace the CC classes.

The upside, It is a well made solid unit that will do most things well.
The downside is that it weighs 4000 pounds. ( I kid, it actually weighs less than 300 pounds.)

What kind of diving are you doing, what are you interested in doing?
What he said. The JJ is an excellent unit and was my second choice. It is ridiculously heavy and not ideal for travel. Other than that I have nothing negative to say about it. If you're a traveling diver, it may be a pain.

You better check with the instructor youā€™re thinking of doing CCR classes with. There are requirements for a certain number of hours diving the CCR before you can move to the next level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom